Morley/Bassendean/Ashfield

Hi guys

I've followed a lot of posts and have found them all very interesting and have learnt a lot so I've decided to get amongst it. Anyway my partner and I are looking at buying our first home early next year and both of us are looking at it more from an investment POV rather than PPOR. That is, decent block (600+), structurally sound house that is livable, worst house in best street kind of scenario.

We are looking around Morley, Embleton, Bayswater, Bassendean way and I have stumbled accross Ashfield. Now I've read some posts on here painting Ashfield in a negative light but on paper it looks quite good. It's close to the river, Guildford Road = access to City, the City of Bayswater and Town of Bassendean have some plans in place to see a huge increase in zoning, so what's the catch? And does the nearby industrial have THAT much of an influence?

I think Morley would be the 'safer' option in terms of steady growth due to its location, amenities etc but that's already reflected in the price.

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Cheers :)

we actually drove past that one on Saturday, it looked pretty cheap and had a massive block, close to river etc. Only thing is, it falls just outside the Ashfield Town Centre area where the rezoning is set to occur and cos its so close to the river, the zoning would be set to remain quite low to maintain the amenity of the riverside area. If I was to buy in Ashfield it would be somewhere within that TC area eg http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-ashfield-106857225
give it 5 years and this one will be R40-R60.
Morley anywhere west of Tonkin HWY pretty much and Bassendean south of Guildford Rd. I've lived in Ballajura all my life but I did live in Embleton for a few years and loved it, it's central to everything - beach (surfing), city(work/liesure), Ballajura(family/friends), plus everything you need is there so you dont need to travel far no matter what you want.

Fair enough. there's some cheap properties in Basso closer to Morley at the moment. If your interested in developing, keep in mind you'll need money and time in the future to go ahead with it.

yeah i guess that's part of the reason for looking at it more as an investment i.e. undervalued, potential rezoning, 'handyman's delight' :p. That way maximise equity to potentially part-fund future development/investment. Once we're in, it'll probly be a while before anything drastic anyway. Maybe I'm a bit optimistic but you've gotta dream big

anyway, Ashfield? what's the catch? prices there are quite a bit lower than Bassendean right next door but Bassendean has arguable already undergone its big changes/growth so is there any reason why Ashfield wont experience the same?

It was suggested to me Morley over Emleton & surrounds. When I asked about clsoe to Morley Embleton properties stil the same. Morley was a safer option with a differnt demographic and growth. Haven't looked out for it, but haven't heard much about Coventy markets lately (?) Again, this person believed it woudl benefit Mroley moreso than the surrounds.

Oh, and west(?) side of Reid (?)Hwy

yeah I've also heard talk of the positive impact the Conventry Markets will have but haven't heard much about its progress lately either. However I'm skeptical about how much impact one development site can have. I'd be more interested in the bigger picture (being a planner :p). I recently saw plans for City of Bayswater to transform the Morley centre area around the Galleria and if that goes ahead, that will create some serious growth!

yeah pretty much the galleria side of Tonkin hwy, so avoiding Beechboro, Kiara, Eden Hill, that's simply a personal choice as I'm not too fond of those areas.

Ashfield still has quite a high proportion of state housing, there are some nasty streets in ashfield. I lived nearby for a few years and was broken into 4 times. I can't blame Ashfield of course, and I don't know relative crime rates in the area, but some insight for ya maybe.

There's talk of cleaning it up by reducing the % of state housing, there's also an ashfield action group? or something with a master plan for the area, at the moment its girrawheen next to the river, but it has potential. It's had potential for a long time though :)

Ashfield still has quite a high proportion of state housing, there are some nasty streets in ashfield. I lived nearby for a few years and was broken into 4 times. I can't blame Ashfield of course, and I don't know relative crime rates in the area, but some insight for ya maybe.

There's talk of cleaning it up by reducing the % of state housing, there's also an ashfield action group? or something with a master plan for the area, at the moment its girrawheen next to the river, but it has potential. It's had potential for a long time though :)

I used to live in Ashfield the same time as you lived in Baysie? Gooram. I came across some of your posts ages ago while searching these forums. It has improved heaps since then. Proportion of state housing is still high, and I guess it will only decrease as there is more infill. There are a lot of good, active people in the community who want Ashfield to reach it's potential, and are active at reporting bad homeswest tenants, etc. (There are lots of good Homeswest tenants living there also). I used to be a part of the Ashfield action group. The new development where the Ashy Tavern was is looking good.

the Morley plans have been on the cards for about 10 years to have a nightclub/restaurant hub. It's up to private investors to change the area. It will be interesting to see how long or if it ever takes off.

I agree INVSTOR re: needing private investors to get plans off the ground, but with these grand plans comes rezoning of surrounding residential areas and this is the easiest to implement as it's just a scheme change by COB and then it's up to investors, developers to decide what to do with that zoning.. I do believe though that the best outcomes in terms of growth would come from fully implementing the plan and getting developers on board as well, but who knows...

yeah pretty much the galleria side of Tonkin hwy, so avoiding Beechboro, Kiara, Eden Hill, that's simply a personal choice as I'm not too fond of those areas.

When the rail line extends to Ellenbrook, (10 years???)it will be servicing these area's also so I still think they are worth considering to achieve some great growth.

There's also talk in the Bayswater Council about splitting the Galleria into 2 and adding a light rail from the nearest railway station directly to Coventrys and the Galleria - now that would be interesting.

Word is that the Coventrys development still hasn't had enough commitment from shop owners which is what is holding up the development. The Galleria also charges some pretty insane rates and there isn't as much spending as was expected in the area, which is why all the high-end shops shut down and the Galleria is a bit of a bogan hang out.

I still think it's a great area, high ownership suburbs and a lot of new developments. Being 8 minutes from the city is also amazing, giving the pricing is still so low.

Nearest rail would be Ashfield, Bassendean or Bayswater. My guess would be Ashfield though, As there is talk of underground rail linking to the airport and it looks like the Ellenbrook link will link to a new Ashfield station also. The politicians say, " When the people come, we will provide the infrastructure" Maybe they should put the infrastructure in now, before Perth ends up like Brisbane. (Growing too fast, by the time they improve the roads they need to improve them again). Morley needs a huge (council) push to get it going in my opinion!!

Nearest rail would be Ashfield, Bassendean or Bayswater. My guess would be Ashfield though, As there is talk of underground rail linking to the airport and it looks like the Ellenbrook link will link to a new Ashfield station also. The politicians say, " When the people come, we will provide the infrastructure" Maybe they should put the infrastructure in now, before Perth ends up like Brisbane. (Growing too fast, by the time they improve the roads they need to improve them again). Morley needs a huge (council) push to get it going in my opinion!!

It's too late, Perth is worse than Brisbane. And right at the time we need money spent on infrastructure... we have a liberal govt who refuse to spend a cent.

Perth cannot provide for it's people, "freeways" are jammed, public transport is inadequate, living costs are sky high due to lack of competition, the list goes on and on. Don't get me started on trading hours.

we actually drove past that one on Saturday, it looked pretty cheap and had a massive block, close to river etc. Only thing is, it falls just outside the Ashfield Town Centre area where the rezoning is set to occur and cos its so close to the river, the zoning would be set to remain quite low to maintain the amenity of the riverside area. If I was to buy in Ashfield it would be somewhere within that TC area eg http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-ashfield-106857225
give it 5 years and this one will be R40-R60.
Morley anywhere west of Tonkin HWY pretty much and Bassendean south of Guildford Rd. I've lived in Ballajura all my life but I did live in Embleton for a few years and loved it, it's central to everything - beach (surfing), city(work/liesure), Ballajura(family/friends), plus everything you need is there so you dont need to travel far no matter what you want.

I think way too expensive.. can you develop now, do the sums, I dont thnk it will stack up.
I can purchase 3 unit site for around $410K, 15Km from Melb. You may not be looking at this market, though I see more opportunities? Perth market is a long hold and highly -ve. Just my thoughts, would not touch Perth market unless you purchased prior to last boom and can add value now to onsell.

Cheers, MTR

Back