Morwell - good and bad parts???

Just wondering if anyone knows Morwell well? (ha ha)

Looking at maybe purchasing there but dont know the good and bad areas ie housing commisions etc.

Can anyone shed any light?

Cheers.

Hi Polsator,

I also liked the look of Morwell and on my first trip out there I picked up a property for $80,000 in July last year.
After spending $6500 on a quick reno I did myself, I managed to rent it out for $160 per week and now it is up to $165 per week in rent.
My house is in Sherrin St and is up in the housing commission area. By updating it I was hoping to attract a more desirable type of tenant and they have been fantastic, with no complaints and have signed a new 12 month lease at a higher rate.
If OC1 is around he is great to talk to, he knows all about the area.

Regards Bronwyn.

Well done Bronwyn, good work with your Sherrin St house.:)

Dont listen to those who love to kick the Valley.

Morwells population has dropped between 2001-2006 by about 0.2% PA. I would say that most of this drop occurred earier on as a result of the on going negatives associated with the massive restucture of the power industry in the 90s.

I would say that the tide has definitely turned and the next census in 2011 will show some growth.

Neighbouring Traralgon about 12 km away has shown population growth of about 2.1% PA over the same period, making it probably the fastest growing large regional centre in Victoria.

While some may have a poor image of Morwell, Here are some stats sourced from the ABS that you might find interesting.

Average taxable incomes 2005,

Greater Melbourne $46914
Traralgon $44127
Greater Geelong $41911
MORWELL $40032
Ballarat $39053
Warrnambool $38147
Bendigo $37184
Shepparton $37135
Mildura $35768

But the census data show that some towns further afield, such as Moe, Morwell, Seymour and Stawell, have gone backwards over the 10 years.

Not interested in how the area has gone in the last 10 years, looking ahead at the next 10. I know there is a lot of big potential mining projects in the future on the cards for the latrobe valley.

Hi bronwynt,

I emailed OC1 but no response yet. I had a look at your progress shots of your reno on an earlier thread. Looks great. I am guessing the housing commision area is at the north of town (excluding Bridle estate) ???

I emailed OC1 but no response yet. I had a look at your progress shots of your reno on an earlier thread. Looks great. I am guessing the housing commision area is at the north of town (excluding Bridle estate) ???

Check your PM.

Back