Mothers' little helpers.

good to hear. so many shrinks have such a hard time when they are referred medicated patients.

i mean no offence by that, but the AD's are not the cure or preventative for anything, the above proves my point.

cheers.

good to hear. so many shrinks have such a hard time when they are referred medicated patients.

i mean no offence by that, but the AD's are not the cure or preventative for anything, the above proves my point.

cheers.

Actually, SSRIs can be a bit of a silver bullet for insomnia suffers. I've always been an insomniac and about 10 years ago after a long flight from Europe it went nuts. Didn't sleep for 36 hours. Sleeping pills just made me feel like crap and on it went for about 4 months.Went on a course of low dose Prozac and over time things improved markedly. Came off them about 12 months later with no side effects.

Proved to be a good example of better living through pharmacology for me.

Proved to be a good example of better living through pharmacology for me.

I've seen many people (probably thousands) who have benefited from SSRI's or other anti depressents over the years, with most experiencing a significant improvement in quality of life.

I have to say too, that I can't think of too many cases where they've been ordered for no good reason, which is why I thought Sunfish may have not grasped the complete picture.

Undertreating or not treating causes far more problems than sometimes erring on the side of caution and prescribing someone with a low dose, non heavy duty antidepressive medication.

In those cases you would expect the doctor to monitor the situation and cease the medication if need be, as you would in the case of insomnia, problems associated with situational crisis/loss, etc.

I hold a bachelors in pharmacy. I refuse to practice because there is no longer a pharmacy profession - it has been usurped by industry. An industry that will give you a pill for almost anything, so long as they profit.

Your wife, Sunfish, has been thrust into the market (not profession) of allopathic medicine. The machine that generates profit from sick people, who may be cured, but aren't allowed to be, because a cure is less profitable than ongoing medication.

The medical system is poised to kill your wife slowly for profit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too was suffering very badly from insomnia ... caused by an inability to shut my brain down enough to sleep. Or if I woke at night, the thoughts would be firing in all directions and getting back to sleep was impossible.

Went to a naturopath, was tested for all sorts of lacks/overs - ended up changing my diet radically (cutting out sugar, wheat, red meat and some dairy - still allowed some occasionally, just not every day) and taking herbs.

Wow!

I can instantly tell if I've been "naughty" with and overdose of the foods I'm not supposed to eat, as I sleep lousy that night. Also, if I forget to take the herbs I find it hard to nod off.

There are a lot of over the counter herbs available, just need to try a few different ones to see what works for you. Don't bother with those you buy from the supermarket, but a health food store has a good and effective variety.

I'm on Fusion Sleep.

Might help. I'm not a fan of synthetic drugs if they can be avoided through lifestyle changes.

Last edited:
Have to disagree Lizzie, Valerian tablets available at the Supermaket can work like magic and with out the side effects of prescription drugs like Valium and are safe, worth a try first.

Nice try Sunfish. My one little question in another thread I started turned into an avalanche. There's no stopping it now... :D:p

She did mention to the Doc that she often wakes during the night and reads for a while. But bloody hell! These people are drug peddlers.

I try and shield her a bit and I'm wondering how much to tell her. Naturally I will watch closely and ask how she's going regularly.
You never know mate, when your having the cup of tea she may be slipping a few in your drink to see if it does anything to you:),Doctors only see it one way,the 2 male high end doctors that live next door have told me the numbers on anti-depress meds these days is very high..good luck..

No party Liz. just a couple of beers with the mates as usual. But thanks for asking. :) Even those b******s forgot until Bob walked in, just as I was leaving.

The Golden Anniversary in 398 days may be noticed a little more but I'm not sure about that either. My boys live in another world and my Lady dislikes fuss as much as I do.

slip me their email and I'll make sure they remember! Mind you - if you and Mrs Fish are anything like myself ... as long as I don't have to cook dinner, I'm cool with anything else that comes.

Last edited:
Back