My PPOR Renovations

Whered you get the bath from? I have a claw foot but needs a refurb. If it cant be brought back to life ill havevto buy one

Whered you get the bath from? I have a claw foot but needs a refurb. If it cant be brought back to life ill havevto buy one

Yeah the old cast iron ones expand and contract with the heat and crack their coating. They'll eventually do the same to a new coating as well. To refurb costs about a grand i think. Otherwise for 600-700 you can buy a new acrylic one from highgrove bath or recollections.

So it turns out that putting up decorative plaster cornices is a massive ***** of a job... Took all day for me and my wife to do one room.

Hopefully after the initial learning curve it will get easier though. But I do miss the easy to install boring normal bunnings cornices after today.

Attachments

• DSC_0382.jpg
    DSC_0382.jpg
    619.1 KB · Views: 258
If I had my time again, I would've trained to become a builder. Always sucks at the start, but the end game looks so worth it.

Great job with your build. I have also sent you a PM as you mentioned you're a builder

Cheers

Just a lowly owner builder :)

--------------------

I've had enough of doing internal work so back outside again now. I've been laying decking boards and having a crack at some welding and putting up the rest of the handrails for the steps. Getting there slowly.

Attachments

• 6th 7th.jpg
    6th 7th.jpg
    995.7 KB · Views: 269
Haha yeah it is a bit of a tower :p

And to think when I bought it the house looked like this...

Attachments

• house before.jpg
    house before.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 204
Getting the bearers and joists downstairs put up. Nice to see some substantial progress. Haven't had a day off for a while though. In the last 4 days I've done 51hours of work with my full time job and renos. I'd work out how many hours I've done in the past 7 days if I could remember, it's all just one big blur.

Anyway plan tomorrow is 10am start and 10pm finish, so it will be a nice laid back Sunday :)

Attachments

• downstairs joists.jpg
    downstairs joists.jpg
    733.6 KB · Views: 158
Me and my wife have been laying the flooring :)

Loving the secret nailer I got from bunnings. $280 well spent.

I'm liquid nailing the boards as well as secret nailing them to make doubly sure they stay down nice and flat.

Attachments

• flooring.jpg
    flooring.jpg
    871.8 KB · Views: 206
Looking good. What height are your ceilings downstairs, seems to be a fair bit of space there!

The height from the floorboards on the ground floor to the floorboards on the top floor is 3.4m but due to having to run steel and plumbing the actual height of the downstairs ceiling will be about 3.03m from the floor. So it's pretty high.

Should look good once I weatherboard the front and install the breezeway/transom above the downstairs front door.

I've been doing some work on the deck/deck roof lately, as well as some random other things.

Taking 5 days annual leave starting tomorrow so will be trying to get the deck roof finished, some more framing downstairs, and maybe throw some weatherboards up on the outside...

Attachments

• DSC_0454 decking.jpg
    DSC_0454 decking.jpg
    960.2 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC_0457 front with handrails.jpg
    DSC_0457 front with handrails.jpg
    1,016.9 KB · Views: 187
You've certainly put in a lot of work, well done. Are you a tradie, or had you done a lot of DIY before?

I assume you have an owner-builder's licence. Did you subcontract out the plumbing work? If not, how did/will you get a form 4 for certification?

You say you're near a creek. Do you have a waterway overlay? (Or water corridor overlay, under the old City Plan.) If so, how did you get around having to do a DA?

You've certainly put in a lot of work, well done. Are you a tradie, or had you done a lot of DIY before?

I assume you have an owner-builder's licence. Did you subcontract out the plumbing work? If not, how did/will you get a form 4 for certification?

You say you're near a creek. Do you have a waterway overlay? (Or water corridor overlay, under the old City Plan.) If so, how did you get around having to do a DA?

Thanks. And yeah lots of work so far... but lots more to go :)

I'm not a tradie but I've done DIY before, my dad's a tradie and shows me how to do things and then I just run with it.

I have my owner-builder's license and also my white card.

And yeah have to pay the plumbers or else the place doesn't get signed off. Luckily we have electricians in the family so don't have to pay for that.

The certifier/engineer provided the waterway overlay. It was self assessable though and didn't require a DA. I'm not too sure off the top of my head why it was self assessable, I think because there were already provisions for building in a waterway in the interim flood plan provided by BCC. They pretty much stated the height it needed to be built at off the ground and the overall height. As the plan we submitted was already in line with those requirements it was able to be self assessed.

Been doing some framing.

Attachments

• hallway.jpg
    hallway.jpg
    659.5 KB · Views: 157
  • front door.jpg
    front door.jpg
    795.1 KB · Views: 147
  • bathroom.jpg
    bathroom.jpg
    975.2 KB · Views: 150
  • laundry.jpg
    laundry.jpg
    851.1 KB · Views: 139
And all the bedrooms.

Eventually after I do stage 2 of the build (the extension), you will walk down the big hallway and it will open right out into a 10m x 10m space with a theater room to the left and the rest all open with french doors out to a rear deck and hopefully a swim spa...if I convince the wife :)

Attachments

• bedroom1.jpg
    bedroom1.jpg
    752.8 KB · Views: 113
  • bedroom 2.jpg
    bedroom 2.jpg
    802.6 KB · Views: 118
  • bedroom 3.jpg
    bedroom 3.jpg
    701 KB · Views: 111
  • bedroom 4.jpg
    bedroom 4.jpg