My reno rescue.

well i thought i'd post some pics up of my home im renovating have a look what it used to look like and now what its becoming

Nick.

these photos are when i bought it.

2008665503_1_FS.jpg

2008665503_2_FS.jpg

2008665503_9_FS.jpg

2008665503_11_FS.jpg

A few random thoughts.

Looks like your typical late '70s/early '80s house in Werribee or similar.

After going from cream brick (early '70s) they seem to go to black or dark brown, then a lighter but more textured look in the '80s (sort of a multigrain brick).

The mid '80s peach colour in the bathroom is fairly similar to Flagstaff Station or the front of the latest census form. That's the first thing I'd be painting over.

The corner mirror looks a bit odd, though some say it would make the room look bigger. I'm tempted to remove it. I quite like the lights above the mirror - a talking point if you've got a female tenant who like make up etc.

The sunken bath might be attractive to the oldies - not much of a step. Though is it a bit shorter than normal? Talking about oldies (or anyone for that matter), a lot of houses like yours had sliding mirror doors for the bathroom cabinet. They don't have much of a handle (just indented to keep the mirror look) but that makes them hard to grip (especially if the door is a little sticky).

A 44 gallon incinerator out the back. Don't let the smoke get too high, otherwise you'll have the neighbours ringing and the police around!

Those stripy exterior blinds so date the house - if you go round a '70s suburb you'll see them on every house. If they're not strictly necessary (of if they're stuck) it's easy to remove the lot with a spanner and a screwdriver. I did (as mine were broken) and so far no complaints.

Anyway keep us posted!

Back