need help with my cat..

I know there are lots of cat lovers here...

my cat has been sneezing all morning... do we need to take a trip to the vet?

the website you posted charge to answer a question! they dont tell you until you get a few steps in though! :eek:

Yeah but, no but, yeah but, don't ask the Q in the box.
Just read the answer given to the lady that had the same issue. There could be a few possibilities from:
He may have cat flu.
He may have banged his nose or inhaled something that is annoying him.

Maybe cat flu?

My kitty had a sneeze a few months ago, only lasted a day or two and she's fine so I didn't take her in the end.

If sneezing is the only symptom I wouldn't stress too much... BUT look for runny eyes, lethagy, not eating etc etc as they would be signs of cat flu.

Obviously if the sneezing is one sneeze every 5 seconds, then you would need to be concerned as there might be something in the nasal passage.

Otherwise, like humans, keep up the fluids, lots of rest, reduce stress and the cat's immune system will take care of it (unless it is elderly or in a weak state). A course of antibiotics might be required but hopefully not. Good luck!

We werent able to get to the vet today, but I'll take him tomorrow. He is opening his mouth strangely.. looks like he has a sore throat as well. He is up to date with immunisations, but he was in a cattery last week, so could have easily picked something up. My immune system is also compromised, so need to try to avoid having sickness in the house. I'll let you know how we go.

We werent able to get to the vet today, but I'll take him tomorrow. He is opening his mouth strangely.. looks like he has a sore throat as well. He is up to date with immunisations, but he was in a cattery last week, so could have easily picked something up. My immune system is also compromised, so need to try to avoid having sickness in the house. I'll let you know how we go.

Id like to hear how you go....I love my cat.

Once, she got into the rubbish and ate a plastic freezer bag that had meat in it.

She shi&tted it out a few days later, problem was it got stuck and I had to take her to the vet.

the vet nurse had a real go and lecture at me, basically said I was irresponsible....the vet said his cat did the same

Shane I'm sorry the nurse thought it was her place to have a go at you. When I was nursing I saw other nurses thinking they knew better than the vet sometimes. I guess it's the same at any workplace.

I hope your cat has fully recovered.

Wishing you well too, Penny.

Some people put pepper all over their gardens to deter cats. Could this be a possibility? Maybe she's moving her mouth strangely now 'cos of all the sneezing she's done or it's hurt her throat.

I'd rather overreact than underreact ... I once thought my "kitten" (yeah, so he's 5.5kg and 18 months old about) ate some red neurofen I'd put on the bench ... rushed him to the vet where he spent the day having his stomach pumped three times and then force fed charcoal ... I had just started at a new job and couldnt not go so they told me that he didnt bring anything up which was a good sign (b/c he hadnt eaten since the night before) ...

I found the neurofen in my lunch bag ... I felt horrible ... SO BAD ... I picked him up where he was doped (b/c he'd gone feral when they'd forced the charcoal down) and lying in his own urine in the litter tray ... I then had to try and wash him off and then gave up valuing the skin on my forearms and face.

I would rather do that to him than ignore the potential for disaster.

I hope your kitty is ok - I often find that vets are ok with you dropping your cat off before you go to work to see them during the day (see the above mentioned kitten-cat torture scenario) or watch them for you until you can pick them up after work.

the vet thinks he has a combo of cold and post traumatic stress. He has been getting in fights with bully cats who "invade" our territory. He had to have some surgery a few weeks ago to treat an infected head wound :(

He's on antibiotics and we'll see how he goes. Still sneezing a few days into the antibiotics, but definitely reduced.

Great to hear he's on the mend. He may have to become more of an indoor cat if he's getting beaten up. I had a cat who was always in fights - she was a flee-er and would always have wounds to her back half or belly ... soooo many infections and trips to the vet :eek:

We also used to have a cat that was always getting into scrapes with the neighbours and got sick of the constant expense of taking him to the vet.

After our children bringing home more & more strays, keeping them all inside all day wasn't an option either.

These days most of our cats go into our cattery during the day. It's a large enclosed area that runs the length of the house. Hubby closed off this area between the house & the fence, giving them lots of space. When it's cold you will often find them sitting on top of the water heater.

Two of the older ones who don't appreciate the younger ones, go outside into the 'real' world. But, they are old, & just sit in the yard all day long. They don't even blink when the birds eat their food.

I love my cattery. It cost hardly anything to costruct, it keeps them safe during the day (they come in at night) and it keeps the birds safe from the youngsters.

Back