Neighbor's tree damaging antenna

Hi All,

A tree from my neighbour's garden is overshadowing antenna on my property....so far not much issues with reception or something....but in 1-2 months i can foresee the branches from the tree very likely going to damage the antenna.....

just wondering should i tell my neighbour to take care of it.....property in Melb.

Feedback please....

cheers

Hi All,

A tree from my neighbour's garden is overshadowing antenna on my property....so far not much issues with reception or something....but in 1-2 months i can foresee the branches from the tree very likely going to damage the antenna.....

just wondering should i tell my neighbour to take care of it.....property in Melb.

Feedback please....

cheers

I had a loquat tree that was overhanging my neighbour's unit. I thought it was providing a bit of shade for his tiny courtyard. He never complained about it.
One Saturday, huge branches were being hurled over my fence.
I realised he was cutting the branches he found offensive and throwing it over my side.
I guess his message was 'I cut (my labour) - you dispose (your money) - don't bother coming over to thank me (my meth lab needs my attention) :D

So I just paid for it to be carted away.
My other neighbour said he was well within his rights to cut it and throw it over my side to dispose.

But in your case, yes, best to tell your neighbour to take care of it, some people are sensitive about how their trees are cut :)

A friendly letter or phone call to the owner of next door to let them know what you're doing should suffice. A local gardener should be able to do it for minimal cost including removal and you've kept things nice and not ruined a relationship with the person next door! Gardener can also advise if you need to get an arborist to check if the cutting will have an adverse effect on the balance of the tree.

im going to say this, if the tree is overhanging on your side of the fence then its your responsibility.

BS neeko,branches or any other growth from a neighboring property,you are within your rights to cut and throw it back over the neighbors property.

s0805,only last week i was on the roof cutting tree branches,not due to an antenna but leaves and small branches blocking up my gutters.

I placed the branches in a neat pile in there front yard and they were fine.Second time they put a leaflet in my letterbox(why didn't they approach me?)saying i wasn't being neighborly?Wtf?

Went and seen them and told them more branches over hanging will be cut and asked will it be ok then to chuck on there pile down the backyard,they said yes.

Shouldn't be my responsibility when i'm trying to clear and tidy up an over grown garden.

Cheers Spades.

I've to pay?

thanks for all your response guys.....

im going to say this, if the tree is overhanging on your side of the fence then its your responsibility.

Just so i get this right, are you suggesting that I'll have to pay for this to be cut and most possibly again few years down the track (once it regrows) as well.... why would I pay for neighbor's not taking care of their garden and causing damage to my property....that's not fair.....

whos the best ppl to make call on this...council?

s0805,

Talk to your neighbour,it's there responsibility.

If in doubt,talk to your local council.

Cheers Spades.

I've recently gone via my local council website which then directed me to a national (?) website that contains all the legal mumbo jumbo relating to trees and neighbours. It was all fairly clear, understandable, and in my opinion reasonable. Might be worth checking it out...

If on the other hand you like to do things against the letter of the law, then your options are open :D

Check on your council website to find out what you can and can't do with trees.

Are the branches coming over your fence or is it just the tree has grown and you antenna is in the shade?

But before you do anything else go round and talk to your neighbour. Always good to be on talking terms with neighbours and they may help you cut the branches down if they are growing over the fence.

thanks guys. Had chat to my neighbor but they renting so they will pass it to landlord.....i hope this gets sorted soon.....

Terry, thanks for the link on rules.....haven't looked at those yet but hope common sense prevails...

I read the title the wrong way around - I thought this thread was about an antenna that went about cutting down trees rampantly.... :p

The Y-man

Back