Neighbour complaining about tenant's dog

Hi everyone

Tenant had a request to put in a dog (claimed well-behaved) a few months ago and I agree. My neighbours have written to me and the PM have advised the tenants who have explained the siutation and offered to speak to my neighbours but neighbour declined.

We agree that neighbours logged the dates and times when the dog is barking. I have been provided a log now and neighbours have indicated complaining to council. I have asked the PM to speak to the tenants and will like some advice on what else I can do to appease both parties?

Cheers
Irawin

When we have complaints about our tenant dogs, we speak with the tenant first.
We suggest bark collars, obedience training, putting on a tv to distract the dog, doggy daycare etc.

We inform the tenant that neighbours are complaining, and that they may call the authorities.

After that, our hands are tied.
If the neighbour is our tenant also...we can tell offending tenant they must get rid of the dog...but that is our last recourse.

usually everything settles down after a couple of months.

Can the dog be left inside the house during the hours it barks?

The owner could get bark busters or an equivalent service over to provide some tips on how to fix the problem.

Cheers

Jamie

Why is it your issue?

At the end of the day the tenant is a resident of the area and if another resident believes that they are being a nuisance then they approach the local council or police and take appropriate action.

Why waste your time or your PM's.

I agree with chilliblue here. This is a problem between neighbours, and has no bearing on you as owner. Barking dogs can be reported to the council and if deemed to be a real problem, council will deal with it. It is not your problem as the landlord, especially as there is nothing there that breaches the lease.

I wonder how the councill deals with that?
Do they sit outside and wait with a decibel reader? Prob not
Also some neighbours are complety unreasonable and delusional, anyone could phone up repeatedly and complain about the smallest stupidest barking noise when anyone that is slightly sane wouldn't even bother

Also some neighbours are complety unreasonable and delusional, anyone could phone up repeatedly and complain about the smallest stupidest barking noise when anyone that is slightly sane wouldn't even bother

I know they will turn up with a decibel reader for air-con motor complaints. Happened to neighbours of ours, who had to move the unit after neighbours complained.

There is something about a dog being "allowed" to bark for x number of minutes per day. It does sound far fetched to be able to tell council times and minutes, but I guess if you were next to a dog that barks all through the day, you'd start to feel a bit insane and quite ready to make diary notes to back up your case.

I know someone whose dog was barking last week because the dog was injured and in pain (it's been treated but the dog was still in some pain). The council was very quick to come around and investigate and my friend was threatened with a fine.

She got a cytronella dog collar which sprays on the dog when it barks. $80 and it solved the problem quite well.

I know that the local councils around here (VIC) will actually try to work with the pet owner to reduce the noise made by the dog and will refer them to dog obedience schools with a certificate of completion needed to be provided to council, they will also suggest they try bark collars etc. Council will try to fix and not just punish around here :).

I would be more worried about the fleas left in every nook and cranny when the tenant leaves and the dog crap all over the garden

I guess it depends on the council. My experience is that they did not come to investigate the noise and simply issued a letter demanding that I stop based on the times claimed by the neighbour, which were lies.

Back