Neighbours' impudent Korean tenants.. What should i do?

I use to think Koreans were the nicest people in the world... not anymore.

A bunch of Koreans just moved into Neighbours' student accommodation house.

they come home 12 - 2AM in the morning and make a complete loud racket, having complete disregard for the community. deliberately being loud as if taunting the whole street for their enjoyment.

and this happens Every night...

Really sick and tired of it.

I get they are really happy probably finishing their night shift and got their hard earned $80 but why not respect the locals? bloody working holiday scum.

What should I do to resolve the issue? team up with other Neighbours and complain, I think there is over 10+ Koreans living in that house.

Speak to their landlord nicely and ask the landlord to evict the new Korean tenants? I don't think the landlord would do it in this rental climate?

Far out I had enough!

I would do two things.

1. Call the police when they disrupt the street.

2. Somehow let the landlord know. If the landlord doesn't care, then you are stuck. If the landlord doesn't know their house is being used as a boarding house, they might appreciate being told, and may do something about it. I would.

Kids are kids, no matter what country they're from. They probably don't even realise they/re making so much noise, and they wouldn't realise that they were disturbing the neighbours. If it were me, when the noise starts, go knock on their door and, very nicely and politely, ask them whether they realise how loud they are and that neighbours are starting to complain. Don't judge too harshly--they don't have much of an idea at that age.

If, after they had become aware that people in the neighbourhood were unhappy, they continue to be noisy late at night, I would then contact the property manager (if you know who it is). Could you arrange for a letter to be sent to them signed by all the neighbours?

Kids are kids, no matter what country they're from. They probably don't even realise they/re making so much noise, and they wouldn't realise that they were disturbing the neighbours. If it were me, when the noise starts, go knock on their door and, very nicely and politely, ask them whether they realise how loud they are and that neighbours are starting to complain. Don't judge too harshly--they don't have much of an idea at that age.

This is great advice, but assuming they don't give a toss, then I'd go back to calling the police. We had tenants who did this to the street. They were asked by the neighbour to keep the noise down, which worked. They were just clueless that they lived in suburbia.

However, once the police were called due to handbrake turns in the street, and fast driving in the street (by a mate the original two tenants asked to live with them - and who wasn't on the lease), we spoke with the original two nice young men and suggested we would allow them to break the lease without penalty. We told them the police had taken an interest in their "mate" and they moved. They were nice young chaps, who just made a judgement error in asking a "just met" mate who they didn't know to move in to share the rent burden.

So, personal approach is good as a first step.

If, after they had become aware that people in the neighbourhood were unhappy, they continue to be noisy late at night, I would then contact the property manager (if you know who it is). Could you arrange for a letter to be sent to them signed by all the neighbours?

they are not kids... they are punks... like 18-28 yos. They are deliberately making loud noises ON the street.

I don't want to cause any international incident...

Don't know if you guys know but export education industry is like 2nd most profitable industry in Australia after mining I think.

Alot of jobs come from these international students.... I don't want Australia to be known to be unfriendly....

Brisbane already has a really bad rap from previous **** that happened with some Korean wanting to swap money on gumtree and some other France lady got killed at Southbank....:(

wondering if I should just take one for Australia... still really pissed but... they shouldn't be allowed to degrade our peaceful neighborhood.:mad:

I don't want to cause any international incident...

Don't know if you guys know but export education industry is like 2nd most profitable industry in Australia after mining I think.

Alot of jobs come from these international students.... I don't want Australia to be known to be unfriendly....

Brisbane already has a really bad rap from previous **** that happened with some Korean wanting to swap money on gumtree and some other France lady got killed at Southbank....:(

wondering if I should just take one for Australia... still really pissed but... they shouldn't be allowed to degrade our peaceful neighborhood.:mad:

but you're not talking about someone getting killed, you're talking about being woken up every night. If it's as bad as you say it is then call the police, if it's as bad as you say it is then frankly I'm surprised they haven't been called already.

IMO asking someone to make less noise at night is hardly likely to cause an international incident. FWIW I'm an ex-cop, about 1/3 our jobs on the night shift on the weekend were noise complaints. sometimes they were one off parties, sometimes regular noise makers, 90% of the time it was people 30 or under. It's surprising how infrequently you have to return to the same place.

So because you've had a bad experience with one group of Koreans your perception of all Koreans has changed? Umm yeah good thinking bro

You are entirely within your rights to call the cops, not sure why yo
u think that would cause an international incident.

I dont think its specifically koreans. I've had a horrible neighbour tenant who constantly played death metal on a consistent basis. I simply went around the neighbours to see if they agreed whether the noise was unacceptable. They agreed and signed. We sent the letter to the landlord/property manager and within 3 weeks they were gone. We are usually quite tolerant but it woke up our 9 month old quite frequently.

If you took out the word Korean from your post, what would you do?

In order of preference:

- talk to them about it (find a good time, go over introduce yourself, explain that you are being woken up and ask them to come home quietly)
- talk to their landlord about it
- talk to the local council (mine handles noise complaints)
- talk to the police about it

Being next door to student accomodation is hard. Watch the movie Neighbours https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL5c2szf3E4

Slide a letter in the mailbox and under the door. Politeness can go a long way.

If they're turning a blind eye, then call the cops. Might help with some video evidence before making a complaint.

Alternatively, you could challenge them to StarCraft and if you win, they need to be quiet ;)

They don't realise we have noise laws and expectations about being quiet at night. Our nights are considered too quiet and boring. Street noise is considered the norm. Just explain it in a friendly way. Take a house warming gift with you ... ice cream or something cheap but useful like paper towel. Don't worry about taking one for Australia etc or you'll just bottle it up and then explode. Honesty is the best policy.

Back