New car - VW Jetta

Hi everyone

I'm thinking of buying a VW Jetta 118 TSI car. Does anyone have any thoughts in relation to this car? Any specific likes or dislikes? I'd just like to make sure I've thought of all the things I can before committing.

Thanks so much in advance.

Cheers

Hi everyone

I'm thinking of buying a VW Jetta 118 TSI car. Does anyone have any thoughts in relation to this car? Any specific likes or dislikes? I'd just like to make sure I've thought of all the things I can before committing.

Thanks so much in advance.

Cheers

Have the MY08 model but in TDI with DSG and love it.

Hwy get around 4.2L/100 and town 4.8L/100
Slow down to 80km on fwy and it will only suck 3.6L/100

Boot is said to be bigger than commodore and you will easily fit a grand piano
maybe not but its big.

Overall average since new now 75000km is 4.5L/100 (95%freeway driving)

Never had any warranty issue todate. still have original tyres.

Only disappointment was from the sales staff and high service charges.

I'm a big fan of my current VW, a VW Golf R.

However, I would never buy the 118 engine.

Due to euro emissions regulations the engine runs very lean. Because the quality of Australian fuel is so variable, and the climate so extreme, this engine is really not suited to Australian conditions. As a result, there has been a lot of reliability issues with this engine. I know of one person in my car club who has had 2 engines replaced in a 118tsi in around 45,000kms. Under warranty, yes. But not the best experience.

You can however get the engine remapped/chipped. Lots of companies do this, including using handheld controllers that you can do at home. This has a few benefits. Most of the 118tsi maps actually make the engine run richer, rectifying the fault (but as a result potentially pumping out more CO2), the map generally improves fuel economy and gives you better performance. However, it may also void you warranty.

One car I would highly recommend is the Skoda Octavia VRS. This runs the same engine as the Golf GTI, which is far more reliable. It has lots of space and comes out very well in all reliability and owner satisfaction tests in the UK and Europe. You can also get this as a wagon.

One car I would highly recommend is the Skoda Octavia VRS. This runs the same engine as the Golf GTI, which is far more reliable. It has lots of space and comes out very well in all reliability and owner satisfaction tests in the UK and Europe. You can also get this as a wagon.

i love this car - except the re-sale market doesn't........yet.

Hi everyone

So I took the plunge. Yesterday I bought a new VW 118TSI comfortline – expecting delivery in late June (excited!!!). As part of the package I am getting tinted windows, sat nav, electric leather seats and a few other goodies. I do have a few questions regarding some the additional after sales things I have been offered to add on. Just want some wise heads to let me know if these are rip offs are truly useful

1. Extended warranty. The car comes with a 3 year warranty plus a 5 year warranty on the gear box. Should I be purchasing the extended 5 year warranty for the whole car? It costs $2,300 so just wondering if this is money well spent given the gear box is covered for 5 years?

2. Leather protection. We are expecting a baby in September and are wondering if it is worth getting the leather protection package in case the baby throws up or other nasties happen. Does the leather protection help against this? Am I better off getting leather protector from Super Cheap Auto and applying it myself? If so, are there any tips on what we should be getting?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I had an audi which is from the same stable. terrible car. but if you want quirky with a fancy badge I guess it's all good.

Cars are simple:

If you want something well designed that gets the job done, Japanese
If you want Japanese but prefer to save a few bucks, Korean.
If you want big and value for money, Aussie.
If you want status, don't care about the budget and don't mind a bit of crazy design, Euro.
If all you care about is the price tag, Chinese.

1. Extended warranty.
2. Leather protection.

dont waste money on extras. You wouldn't want to keep a euro car past 3 years, as even minor service items can cost ridiculous amounts. Trade it at 2.5 years. Leather will look after itself. We had babies in a new car with leather and when we cast that car off the leather just need a good wash. The baby seats are the biggest problem, the pressure points will damage the seat - nothing that can be done about it.

Get aftermarket leather protection if you want it from a good independent car detailer. Never get paint protection, window tinting or anything like that from a dealership. They will just rip you off and do a poor job.

I would get the extended warranty. If it was a Golf GTI or something like that I wouldn't bother. But the 118 engine has numerous mechanical issues and is no longer being made for that very reason.

Most of those reasons are down to the tune that has been put on by VW for emissions. The car simply runs too lean and can cause the engine to blow. They have modified it slightly (the ecu tune) to make it run richer. What some people suggest is to have an aftermarket remap carried out by a company such as APR, Giac or Viezu which will give you extra performance, but will also recalibrate the ECU to run a richer fuel mix, which negates a lot of the issues from the engine.

The big warranty issue has been the gearbox but as you mentioned
they have extended it to 5 years so I suspect they have sorted the
gearbox issue by now.

Do a search on watercooled website under extended warranty and you
should find a better deal from a vw dealer.

dont waste money on extras. You wouldn't want to keep a euro car past 3 years, as even minor service items can cost ridiculous amounts. Trade it at 2.5 years. Leather will look after itself. We had babies in a new car with leather and when we cast that car off the leather just need a good wash. The baby seats are the biggest problem, the pressure points will damage the seat - nothing that can be done about it.

i had a 1999 A4 for 7 years and never had to do anything other than service and replace the usual bits

mum has had a 2008 or 2009 A4 for around 4 years, again, nothing other than servicing

a relative has had a 2005 A8 for around 6 years, i think they have had 1 issue apart from usual servicing

services are also only once a year although obviously are pretty expensive.

not sure where this whole get rid of them before 3 years stuff is coming from, you might have unfortunately got a lemon

i had a 1999 A4 for 7 years and never had to do anything other than service and replace the usual bits

mum has had a 2008 or 2009 A4 for around 4 years, again, nothing other than servicing

a relative has had a 2005 A8 for around 6 years, i think they have had 1 issue apart from usual servicing

services are also only once a year although obviously are pretty expensive.

not sure where this whole get rid of them before 3 years stuff is coming from, you might have unfortunately got a lemon

Yep.

I've had

1x 1994 BMW 318i with 260k on the clock before I sold it - bought it with 145k on the clock. Needed a replacement radiator in my ownership. Couple of hundred max for the part. Also needed a new electric window switch, which i got from the wreckers for $15.

1x 1995 BMW 318is (the coupe version) which needed *deep breath* a new indicator bulb from 160k to 280k.

1 x 2001 Audi S3 which needed a bit of work. Replaced the VVT chain tensioner (affects less than 1% of cars, I was unlucky) and that was it. 65,000km to 165,000km. One largish bill (2.5k from memory) but I did it in conjunction with the timing belt and waterpump change, so not all that bad.

1 x 2011 Golf R which I bought new and now has 80k on the clock. Ummm. I needed new tyres for it.

I drop the oil at 7,500kms and get a service done every 15,000 for all my cars. I always run them on 98 RON. Check all coolant, oil etc frequently.

People expect to be able to run something like a Mini or a BMW on 91RON fuel with no servicing, or using the cheapest oil available are going to run into issues - and then blame it on the car.

This is all really helpful advice guys. Thanks very much. I think I might get some leather polish and DIY when I get the car. I reckon I will hold off on the extended warranty until I get closer to the end of the initial 3 year period.

I had an extended warranty on a Ford Falcon at one stage. To get the warranty I had to do regular expensive servicing with the people who sold me the vehicle.

I bought it at 40K and disposed of it at 430K- still running well but bodywork suffered from a caravan trying to reverse- when I was parked in a Cul de sac

yeh always possible, it only did 15,000 in the 3 years had it. in that time the tyres somehow scalloped (somehting I had never heard of) and the bloke at the service centre said I was lucky to get 20,000 out of a set anyway. they wanted to change the wiper blades and I said why not...can't recall the specifics, it was some crazy 3 digit amount, then my daughter broke the rear parcel shelf and they wanted close to $1500 - I used some liquid nails which did the job but I thought this thing is scary. the leather seat sagged out in that time frame as well and according to online forums audi did the old head in sand trick on that one. The bottom line was I just didn't like the performance, design or anything... you'd just about stack it setting the stupid cruise control or try figuring their ac controls. stinking hot black colour with black leather.

the single worst thing with the audi's and thankfully the TTs dont have it, is the drivers footwell. I seriosuly don't know how anyone gets around with their left leg at a 45 degree angle? this is the trouble with the RHS market being a minor one compared to the country of design, which is why jap cars tend to be better for this country

lets not talk about the bath on depreciation either - ouch!

I had an extended warranty on a Ford Falcon at one stage. To get the warranty I had to do regular expensive servicing with the people who sold me the vehicle.

i bought one that rolled out at the end of an auction once. it was just under 3 years old, was pretty hammered, not a skeric of service history. took it to ford and they replaced all sorts of things under warranty, including the exhaust system which seemed crazy to me but I went with it

actually I see you are makign a point against the extended warranty rather than the factory warranty, in which case yes i see what youare saying

yeh always possible, it only did 15,000 in the 3 years had it. in that time the tyres somehow scalloped (somehting I had never heard of) and the bloke at the service centre said I was lucky to get 20,000 out of a set anyway. they wanted to change the wiper blades and I said why not...can't recall the specifics, it was some crazy 3 digit amount, then my daughter broke the rear parcel shelf and they wanted close to $1500 - I used some liquid nails which did the job but I thought this thing is scary. the leather seat sagged out in that time frame as well and according to online forums audi did the old head in sand trick on that one. The bottom line was I just didn't like the performance, design or anything... you'd just about stack it setting the stupid cruise control or try figuring their ac controls. stinking hot black colour with black leather.

the single worst thing with the audi's and thankfully the TTs dont have it, is the drivers footwell. I seriosuly don't know how anyone gets around with their left leg at a 45 degree angle? this is the trouble with the RHS market being a minor one compared to the country of design, which is why jap cars tend to be better for this country

lets not talk about the bath on depreciation either - ouch!

bloody hell no wonder you werent happy, i wouldve been irritated too.

i always buy second hand so depreciation isnt too bad. which audi was this?

Back