New push bike laws

Registration doesn't work for cars in terms of speeding, texting, facebooking, failing to give way, running red lights and changing lanes without indicating, so I doubt it will work for cyclists. I would like to see if a police crackdown would work.
Actually, I think it does cut down on at least some of these things drastically. People know they can be caught on camera for running some red lights and for speeding. A camera though that can distinguish between texting and facebooking could be very difficult indeed.

People still do things that can get them caught- but not as often as they otherwise would.

At the bad intersection on my daily commute I would love to see police stopping and fining any motorist, cyclist or pedestrian that breaks the law.
Agree.

But I would also extend it to other intersections as well.

Some valid rebuttal vbplease, but some whinge and moan as well.

I have never said I wouldn't pay for rego if it were law, my point is it would be extremely costly to the public to implement, which detracts the practicality of it. If cyclists had to pay registration, then I would - as I know myself I don't break the law;

I stop at red lights (I have mastered the track stand well).
I ride 2 abreast when group riding (I ride with bike shop owners, professionals and ex pro/top amateur riders), and sometimes single file on roads with small shoulder or areas where we perceive it's not safe/practical to ride 2 abreast.
I stop to use my phone.
I wear AS helmet, and regularly check and replace.
I know the road rules; a. Qualified by my licence, b. I know the Qld Road Rules for cyclists, and carry a copy of QRR, 28 points pertaining to cyclists. (I love to prove motorists and on 1 occasion a police officer wrong)!

^ Even with all this, I concede not all cyclists are as diligent. The guys I ride with don't tolerate bad behaviour on the road, and I'm no different. I demand respect for my life just as much as everyone else would, and reciprocate that with my attitude on the road. We wave to courteous motorists who patiently wait or respect our movements, carry on our merry way when the traffic flow is smooth, and definitely let those who disrespect us on the road know they are in the wrong, just like motorists do.

Out on open roads, we are at the mercy of motorists coming up behind. In built up areas, eye contact is key, especially approaching intersections and roundabouts.

Re education. I know snippets of education are around. In my home town, all year 4 students do a bicycle education course at the local PCYC on a purpose built track. I know, as I used to teach it. My daughter will do this later this year. I would hope my daughter already has some knowledge. Mrs. pinkboy rides approx 7000km p/a, and I'm currently riding 20,000km p/a average, so we have some fair real life experience. My Miss. 8 rides most times we run, so we are constantly educating. No accident yesterday thank goodness. I'm not sure what other education is out there?

I do admit though, I've never riden in really built up areas like capital cities. That's all about to change when I ride from Sydney to Melbourne next week.

pinkboy

So IMO it comes down to "why should bikes get free road access"?

Why not... Dole bluggers get free Rego, Cars, booze, rent, food, ciggies and pokies....

So why should a 12 yo kid (or any age for that matter) pay rego.... yes, that's right. Kids ride bikes too & surely they shouldn't get it free either! Or did we forget about that? :rolleyes:

The comment about the ruler followed up on a comment about shaving legs. It was mean to be a light hearted comment about ensuring that he keep the minimum distance away from bicycles. It was not meant to be a serious comment about trying to hurt cyclists.

Cheers Geoff.

For those who think an imaginary 1 metre rule is going to save your life riding a bicycle, your dreaming. How will it even be enforced. 'As you hit him and dragged him 50 metres, you must have been within 1 metre.'

I don't want rego on bikes. The more rules. The more offenders.

I'm not chasing training for cyclists. Ride in a manner which is reasonable, predictable and will prevent injury to all. That's the same I ask of any road user.

We all have pet hates of other motorists and we all drive in a manner which someone else hates.

I wrote more but deleted it after realising I was spending time commenting on cycling. Something which I don't give two hoots about. Each to their own.

I don't want rego on bikes. The more rules. The more offenders.

I'm not chasing training for cyclists. Ride in a manner which is reasonable, predictable and will prevent injury to all. That's the same I ask of any road user.

It should be common sense but nanny states have to legislate these things because someone could lose an eye.

I cant see rego for bikes or stuff like that changing anything. There are as many dopey bike riders as there are car drivers, but in a bingle the car drivers come off best.
Cyclists just need to accept the fact that they need to be defensive. I'm not saying that is fair or anything like that, but it's the way it is - especially in a city like Sydney. That saying 'discretion is the better part of valour' comes to mind. When I was a kid, I used to do a lot of sailing on the harbour. I knew when I had right of way, but I never forced the issue with power boats.
The bloke I started my business with (it was his idea, but I came up with the brilliant name) was in this bike accident last Sunday:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...ed-into-cyclists/story-fni0cx12-1226856433956

I would never ride a bike on that stretch of road. I don't even like driving on it. Of the five blokes I know who ride often, four have now had a ride in an ambulance. I shared that cheery statistic with number five this morning. I heard yesterday that the cycling club that Hans rides with have now decided to avoid that road. Makes sense to me.

I do about 70,000 kms in the car every year in my job, and commuting. The last 6 months I have been riding my bike to work due to health reasons. Its a great ride, 40ks each way, I have lost 15% of my body weight, I ride maybe 3 or 4 times a week. I really enjoy it.

Its scary out there. It is only a small percentage of car drivers who are either asleep/absent minded at the wheel, or just plain dangerous drivers.

I ride defensively, that is, I ride the line just left of where a cars left hand wheel would be. If I ride in the gutter, cars continue their line, and pass too close. If Im out they give me space. I know this from experience.
When I approach an intersection, especially roundabouts, or traffic structures such as speed humps, shicanes etc, I ride into the centre of the lane. Again from experience if I dont cars dont judge correctly how fast they are going and try and overtake me on a roundabout.

Reading some of the commentary of late, its really sad. Everyone seems to have their own idea of what the law is, and how other road users should behave.

I was heartened to hear Ken Lay talk on the subject, and some of the media commentary that got past the whole 'us and them' 'bikes need rego' BS.

In Victoria,
Bikes are considered a vehicle
bikes can ride two abreast
bikes can take up the whole lane when needed, but should defer to other road users at other times
bikes can overtake on the left when cars arent indicating left
riders over 12 cant ride on the footpath, unless they are with their kids
bikes are encouraged to move to the front of a line of stopped traffic, so they dont hold up traffic behind if they take the space of a later vehicle.

The law is diferent in each state unfortunately.

My only suggestion to this is for all road users to be more considerate. I cant tell you how many times I see the same set of cars for kilometers along a stretch of road, racing to the next stop light. Its not bikes slowing you down, its the rest of the cars on the roads.

I can't help but think the main gripe car owners have towards cyclists stems from jealousy as they are overtaken in peak hour. When I drive around I have compassion for them, knowing they are alleviating pollution, congestion and are much more vulnerable road users.

Bicycle riders have a huge safety incentive to obey the laws, they are the ones who will come off second best is any incident. I don't think you need the threat of fines, threat of death is enough!

Also, from time to time the bike police do setup speed traps. I've seen riders fined for speeding in 10km/h shared paths (like Southbank in Melbourne).

Rego plates on bikes is just a silly idea.

What other country has this?
What about 13 year old kids bikes?
With all our obesity shouldn't we be encouraging riding rather than putting up price barriers to entry?
Imagine how great driving would be if 20% of drivers chose to ride instead? Imagine how much money we'd save? (from building new roads to healthcare)

Bicycle riders have a huge safety incentive to obey the laws, they are the ones who will come off second best is any incident. I don't think you need the threat of fines, threat of death is enough!
When I see cyclists at night, riding in dark clothing, witout lights or reflectors, riding down the wrong side of the road, I can't help thinking the sense of self preservation is not strong in some people.

I nearly cleaned up a cyclist one night on a street with poor lighting. I was trying to turn left out of a side street and looked right to see if there was any oncoming traffic. It was dark and drizzling, the cyclist was riding towards me wearing dark clothing, no lights, no reflectors, no helmet. I was just lucky that a car drove past the cyclist and I saw the silhouette of this brainiac bike ninja. Otherwise I would have proceeded into the path of the cyclist and he would have very likely slammed into the side of my car.

Apparently the threat of death or serious injury is not enough for some people.

It's hard to see with people like this that any level of registration, licencing, enforcement or education will make any difference at all.

As a cycling commuter, I see a lot of motoring traffic pass me every day and I see plenty of motorists breaking road rules. Red lights, speeding (especailly in school zones) and mobile phone use to name the main culprits. They have rego and number plates yet they break the rules.

You can't tell me that a motorists nailing a 1 tonne steel cage through an intersection to beat a red light is as dangerous as a cyclist stopping, looking both ways and then running a red at 10kph (which is how most run reds).

I dont run red lights, I dislike cyclists that do because of the anger it creates in motorists but I am not aware of anyone being hit and killed by a cyclist breaking a road rule, motor vehicles on the other hand.......

In 30 years time you will be complaining about the crippling medical expenditure of this country because we legislated the crap out of sport and we are now a country of fatties.

And while I'm at it, motorists need educating before expressing their opinions;

- Rego doesnt pay for roads, council and state taxes do (depending what type of road)
- Cyclists and Motorbikes are legally allowed to filter through traffic.

When I approach an intersection, especially roundabouts, or traffic structures such as speed humps, shicanes etc, I ride into the centre of the lane. Again from experience if I dont cars dont judge correctly how fast they are going and try and overtake me on a roundabout.

I do this, too. I made the mistake once of staying to the left and had some knob nearly take me out because they couldn't wait literally three seconds for me to go through. Never again.

When I see cyclists at night, riding in dark clothing, witout lights or reflectors, riding down the wrong side of the road, I can't help thinking the sense of self preservation is not strong in some people.

Agreed... bikes with no lights @ dusk or night = idiots (I run really bright lights and even use them during the day).

However, why be angry at them? They are the ones who will end up injured or dead, and you will be in the clear.

Sure, it wouldn't be a nice feeling knowing you injured someone (or worse), but is this really a source of hate or anger (not saying you in particular, but it seems to be the general vibe from motorists).

If I got angry at those people (and the millions of other people who do things I also think are stupid) the stress would cut years off my life.

You can't tell me that a motorists nailing a 1 tonne steel cage through an intersection to beat a red light is as dangerous as a cyclist stopping, looking both ways and then running a red at 10kph (which is how most run reds).

Agreed... I think most of the hatred motorists have towards cyclists is more of a reflection of the current emotional state of the driver... cyclists really don't seem to have any effect on me when I drive, regardless of what laws they obey or break. The vast majority ride just fine to me.

If I narrowly miss a cyclist running a red I'll give them a little toot, but it doesn't make me hate that person or call for more regulation, red tape and government nanny-ing that will only discourage people from taking it up. They are the idiots who will end up in hospital, I'll just be up for a new bumper bar in the unfortunate event of an accident. Naturally I'll do my best to avoid an accident but I'm not going swerve into oncoming traffic or endanger myself or others to do so.

Cyclists have it way worse... they risk hospitalisation whereas motorists a 'perceived' slight inconvenience. I say perceived as it's easy to forget each cyclist is usually taking a car off the road and the overall effect of people riding is a positive one (in terms of dollars, pollution and congestion).

However, why be angry at them? They are the ones who will end up injured or dead, and you will be in the clear.

Because, no matter if it's your fault or not you're still going to suffer from the mental anguish of knowing that you either seriously injured or killed someone. Some people never overcome this, no matter whether it's their fault or not. I just don't want to ever be put in that situation.

Agreed... bikes with no lights @ dusk or night = idiots (I run really bright lights and even use them during the day).

I'm not angry at them. I am cyclist/motorist and it takes a lot more than that to get me worked up on the roads. Decades ago I adopted a "go with the flow" attitude to driving. To get me worked up now (when I'm driving at the speed limit) a motorist would have to drive right up my tail and start flashing and tooting for me speed up. And yes, this does happen.

Bike riders don't bother me. I just felt relieved that I didn't clean up that bike ninja. I would have felt bad if I ran him down.

Apart from being lucky so see some near invisible cyclists, I haven't had any incidents with cyclists as a motorist.

As a cyclist, I have had very few issues with motorists. I have been tooted for riding on the road, I have been yelled at to ride on the footpath (when I was riding in a designated bike lane) and have been driven off the road by bus drivers three times. However, for the number of kilometres I ride and the number of years I have been riding, these incidents are very few and far between. I can cite many more examples of motorists going above and beyond to accomodate me as a cyclist on the road.

Cyclists have it way worse... they risk hospitalisation whereas motorists a 'perceived' slight inconvenience. I say perceived as it's easy to forget each cyclist is usually taking a car off the road and the overall effect of people riding is a positive one (in terms of dollars, pollution and congestion).
Motorists travelling at 40km/h in a 60km/h zone or a 70km/h zone annoy me a lot more than a cyclist on the road. At least with a cyclist I will be able to overtake at some point. With slow motorists it can be a lot longer until there is a chance to overtake. This happened to me the other. The motorist actually stopped at an intersection and didn't proceed even though the road was empty in all directions. I gave a took after a minute or so and the motorist proceeded slowly down the road, swerving in and out of their lane. Turns out they were on the phone, as in facebook, youtube, mapping or texting. Not sure what they were doing on the phone but he sure wasn't driving safely or anywhere close to the speed limit. Now that is irritating.

This thread is unbelievable. I hardly know where to start.

Why do so many bicycle riders, where there is a dedicated bicycle path off the road (Canberra has an excellent network of bike paths) choose to ride on the road?

Because it's faster and much safer!!!! Try getting out of your rolling cage and make hundreds of transitions from the bike path to cross roads all the time and find out how great bike paths are. Unless there are no intersections to cross (eg alongside a river or railway line / freeway), the road is always safer - just roll with the traffic.

This is why it is illegal in WA to ride on the footpath - it's the main source of accidents both in crossing roads and in bikes vs pedestrians.

If bike riders obeyed the law to the same extent as drivers then registration wouldn't even be on the table. But we've all seen bicycle riders completely ignoring traffic lights and riding lanes, often to their own peril, and quite frequently. It seems to be a matter of gospel that traffic lights only apply to cars for many bike riders (this may be a minority of riders, but it is a large and visible minority).

A minority of pedestrians, drivers and cyclists all disobey the law and make life dangerous for everyone. I don't see people demanding the registration of pedestrians - where does it end?

How do you feel that cyclists benefit from personal insurance that negligent motorists pay, yet injury victims of cyclists have to resort to a long drawn out personal lawsuits to get compensation, assuming there is anything to get out of the cyclist in the first place - unlike with insurance.

Injury victims of other pedestrians are in the same boat. Same as skateboarders, roller skaters, unicyclists, scooter riders, people carrying timber down the road, etc etc. Personally I prefer less regulation and insurances in our daily life, not more.

A person can ride a bicycle on a road without knowing anything of the road rules. Perhaps there should be some regard to learning of some basic road rules and road safety before allowing any young person to be riding on, or even crossing, a road. A simple licencing system perhaps.

Yes I was a really reckless eight year old when I rode my bike to school. All kids should clearly be locked up in Range Rovers and surrounded by airbags so they don't engage in this sort of utterly irresponsible behaviour. Yes, that's the society we should all aspire to!

Riding your bike down the road on the way to school with the wind in your hair? Perish the thought!

I struggle to believe we have come to this. Bikes and cars and pedestrians have coexisted peacefully for over a century. Yet the nanny state just wants to mess it all up?

I mainly want a number plate to be displayed on the bike so you have some means of recourse if they do something wrong. And of course it would allow them to be fined by the police if they do something wrong.

Yes, pedestrians should wear those as well! I see far more pedestrians running the red man than cyclists running red lights with the same consequence so they should clearly be the first priority! WTF?

As for pedestrians, I don't regularly get cut-off by them, see them run red lights when it's clearly very dangerous for either them or a vehicle coming towards them, but I see all this happen with cyclists everyday.

You must live in a parallel dimension if you don't see jaywalking pedestrians crossing on the red man / away from the lights all the time...

Increased regulation and enforcement has made for safer roads.
But while there are still people being killed on bicycles, I don't see that there is anything wrong with educating younger cyclists.
Registration goes towards creating accountability- anonimity lessens that accountability.

Education is fine - that is what schools are for. They do teach some basic road skills at primary level BTW, just in case the kids want to risk life and limb going for a ride on their bike.

As for registration, that argument applies to pedestrians and everyone else. Which doesn't make it automatically a good thing - just like the jury is still out on helmet laws, which collapsed the popularity of cycling when brought in and no doubt contributed to our current obesity epidemic. But don't worry - we're all so much fatter and safer now in our steel cages and air conditioning surrounded by air bags and that's the main thing right! Can't let the kiddies exert themselves too much - that could be dangerous!

By all means road rules should be enforced against all road users - pedestrians, cyclists and drivers but the police don't need identification plates to do that - they just need to be out on the street doing their job. I would happily support a greater presence of traffic police out there - I don't see much of them these days. Just cameras instead... which is not good enough.

But you're right - there are still too many cyclists dying on our roads. But did you notice they're not car drivers getting killed by cyclists or pedestrians? No - they're cyclists that are getting killed - usually by drivers. Drivers are the ones in charge of and protected by two tonnes of lethal metal travelling at huge speeds. Cyclists are completely vulnerable to any car - the idea there could be some risk to drivers from cyclists is completely ludicrous compared to the reverse level of risk, which is thousands of times greater.

Of course there can and should always be better enforcement but cyclists need to be protected from drivers. As a consequence, I would support laws that automatically placed fault on the driver as a key measure to reduce the bicycle toll, such as already exists in other countries that have reduced bicycle deaths. Cyclists already have their lives to lose out there any second moving among the cars and trucks - they don't need any more to lose. Drivers on the other hand need as much reminding as possible of the lethal nature of the vehicles they control. We are all people after all which means a good proportion of us will get distracted / make a mistake / be stupid - it's just that some of us are thousands of times more vulnerable on the road to those behaviours than others. It's the drivers who need a good reason to slow down, pay attention and give enough space to the cyclists.

As for a 1m rule, I haven't heard of such an unenforceable / irrelevant law before.

Injury victims of other pedestrians are in the same boat. Same as skateboarders, roller skaters, unicyclists, scooter riders, people carrying timber down the road, etc etc. Personally I prefer less regulation and insurances in our daily life, not more.

Those aren't road users in the sense that they use the carriageway to move from point A to B.

Bikes are like cars and trucks in that respect, unlike the others.

I prefer less regulation but it appears that many people are happy with regulation for one -cars and trucks- but not the other.

And they wonder why the attitude towards cyclists isn't always so good.

Woo! Hit a bit of a nerve there, didn't I! I don't recall questioning your statement that anyone can ride a bike, I called you out on your claim that bike lanes are just as big or bigger than the car lanes, which is nonsense.
Coming home today from the city and guess what a bike lane the same size as the road,who's talking nonsense now.
Uploaded this one just for you.

http://youtu.be/osovMAi3LNw

Back