New rental blues....:) Perth/Bedford

Hi All, Im a newie here so please bare with me :) We've just about got our place ready to rent..last tenants have moved out, its almost all painted up,smelling like a new bought one and looking good....had it on gumtree here http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bedf...mall-family-or-professional-couple/1045475088 for a few weeks and will post new pics in a few days without the clutter of the last tenants who have now moved on...advertised in the west australian weekends & wednesdays, contacted lots of relocation firms to let them know,..but still finding it hard to even get calls....we hear different reports that the market has cooled but others saying 900 people are entering the state every week...(not sure about that one)...does anyone have any other ideas please...many thanks for any ideas in advance. Peter

Those photos don't do it justice.

For a rental like that you really need to get it onto realestate.com.au . I don't think anyone looks in the newspapers these days.

You can hire a PM to advertise and find tenants but not manage it.

Or you can use one of the agencies like ForSaleForLease who charge a fee for you putting your ad up.

Agree. The photos are terrible and for $550 it needs to look inviting.
Most people that look on Gumtree are looking for cheaper rents. How does that rent compare wiuth similar properties in the area?

If you don't want to have a Property Manager manage it, why not just get them to get a tenant in then manage it yourself.

Do you know the rules and regulations for tenants? If not, it's not a wise idea to self manage.

I've also used investor Mentor in the past - good value although I preferred the other site - easier to upload lots of photos and make changes

http://www.investormentor.com.au/

I have used the above company to advertise directly on realestate.com.au

from memory it was about 50-60 bucks.

I don't bother advertising anywhere else.

Good Luck.,

Agree. The photos are terrible and for $550 it needs to look inviting.
Most people that look on Gumtree are looking for cheaper rents. How does that rent compare wiuth similar properties in the area?

If you don't want to have a Property Manager manage it, why not just get them to get a tenant in then manage it yourself.

Do you know the rules and regulations for tenants? If not, it's not a wise idea to self manage.

Cheers for the tips,price is about right for the area and given we are in the throws of painting it up and havent got pics yet, we where just putting it out there..

The description also reads like dribble. Make it clear, bullet point the features rather than make it a rambling non sentence, not easy to read. Agree with other posters that the photos are average at best. Also looks messy most likely because of the previous tenant, so if they are out you are probably best to take all new photos and put them up showing the house empty and cleaned up.

You have to also get the property on realestate.com.au. On realestate.com.au 3 bedders in Bedford start at $400 per week and go up to $500 a week, so yours definitely appears to be on the more expensive side. Also just from the general search it appears the surrounding suburbs are even cheaper which can have an effect as people can be will to move one suburb over to get a nicer place for the same money. Note: I don't know the area at all and this was just some quick research I would always do.

We recently rented out our 2-bed duplex in Dianella after previous tenants moved out. Replaced the kitchen between the Friday the tenants moved out and the Monday of the home open (good advice from someone to pre-build all the flatpack cabinets etc so you only need to install otherwise it would?ve taken AGES). We self manage this one cos it?s close to home and use these guys to get our ad on re.com http://eezirent.com.au cost about $100 from memory and they forward all enquiries onto you to respond direct. They also provide tips on how to write a good real estate ad and take decent photos.

We had heaps of email and phone enquiries in the week leading up to the home open, but only 3 people turned up on the day. Luckily one of them applied for the place and really liked it cos we had another home open on the Wednesday and no one turned up.

Would you consider allowing pets? I think this was probably the only reason we got someone in at the asking rent (probably slightly above market, even with new kitchen tbh) as they had a dog.

$480 plus expenses

Hmm, so a 15% increase. But I guess if you think if that is where the market is then that is your decision. Have you at least called around a couple of the local RE agencies posing as a tenant to see what is on offer nearby, get an idea of what the market has on offer?

Hi All, Im a newie here so please bare with me :) We've just about got our place ready to rent..last tenants have moved out, its almost all painted up,smelling like a new bought one and looking good....had it on gumtree here http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bedf...mall-family-or-professional-couple/1045475088 for a few weeks and will post new pics in a few days without the clutter of the last tenants who have now moved on...advertised in the west australian weekends & wednesdays, contacted lots of relocation firms to let them know,..but still finding it hard to even get calls....we hear different reports that the market has cooled but others saying 900 people are entering the state every week...(not sure about that one)...does anyone have any other ideas please...many thanks for any ideas in advance. Peter

Hey Peter,

I would certainly advise advertising on realestate.com.au as most good tenants will be looking there rather than on Gumtree. You can do this via our website. Jump on the link below and even give me a call if you like.

$480 plus expenses

Did you do any other renovations other than painting?

The market is quite soft with plenty of choice for renters. That $70 increase you have put on it may deter people but I think the most deterring is the photos - get the new ones up ASAP and get it on realestate.com.au

Thanks so much for the sometimes brutal input, its very much appreciated, we've been behind the 8 ball for a week or so with exiting tenant,incoming painter,and long planned before all this..trip to bali on friday....(wasnt expecting this when we booked those flights a year ago).....have had a quick look at investor mentor and will digest all this awesome advice in the next day or so....

for a recent private rental i used forsaleforlease which got it on realestate.com.au for a minimal fee, but eventually found a tenant through gumtree. you need to spread the word for maximum coverage. had many enquiries through both - just be wary as there can be dodgy tenants through any channel.

Back