Night Owl

OK, well I have entered into my final year of my PhD studies and the inevitable has finally happened...over the last couple of weeks I have slipped back into my old routine of working throughout the night, and sleeping during the day.

For some reason, I've always done my best work at night. My mind just clicks into this creative "zone" from about 11pm, from which I then proceed to work productively until morning. I find it really easy to adjust to this body clock, but not so easy to transition out of it.

Does anyone else find that they work better at night? I also wonder who else is up in SS land at 3.30am in the morning...

...and yes, by me writing this post I acknowledge that I am actually procrastinating at the moment, rather than doing any work! :)

OK, well I have entered into my final year of my PhD studies and the inevitable has finally happened...over the last couple of weeks I have slipped back into my old routine of working throughout the night, and sleeping during the day.

For some reason, I've always done my best work at night. My mind just clicks into this creative "zone" from about 11pm, from which I then proceed to work productively until morning. I find it really easy to adjust to this body clock, but not so easy to transition out of it.

Does anyone else find that they work better at night? I also wonder who else is up in SS land at 3.30am in the morning...

...and yes, by me writing this post I acknowledge that I am actually procrastinating at the moment, rather than doing any work! :)

Sometimes it's the best time to work in the early morning,or just watching the OS equities like i do every now and again..willair..

Lol i'm being very productive.

Playing some online spaceship game ;D and chatting on MSN.
Listening to the 70's/80's internet radio channel, doing a little reading on the shares stuff. Thats about it really. I'm a lil weird tho i like to go for walks around this time lol... gives me some thinking time

Got work @ 8am

What do u study?

Regards,

RH

Lol i'm being very productive.

Playing some online spaceship game ;D and chatting on MSN.
Listening to the 70's/80's internet radio channel, doing a little reading on the shares stuff. Thats about it really. I'm a lil weird tho i like to go for walks around this time lol... gives me some thinking time

Got work @ 8am

What do u study?

Regards,

RH

It's good to know I'm not the only one who likes to stay up at night!! Although I can sleep in tomorrow, I'm not sure how I would operate if I had to get up at 8am in the morning. It's too cold to go for walks, but I love breaking up the night by making myself tea or a coffee. I might sneak downstairs and get myself a coffee now actually.

You sound like you are having a really productive night as well! lol I'm currently procrastinating by watching the Old Spice commercials (very funny!) and playing FrontierVille on facebook (how sad!) lol... should be transcribing interviews, however!

I'm doing a PhD on DIY investors actually. Currently transcribing all my interviews, and will need to start on the findings chapers soon. PhD is not due until April next year, but I've got so much to do before then, so the pressure is on!

Sometimes it's the best time to work in the early morning,or just watching the OS equities like i do every now and again..willair..

Hi willair,

Which OS equities are you watching? I used to do watch the S&P500 and XJO markets, through the CFD platform IG markets. Do you trade or do you just like to watch? ;)

cheers,
Lisa

Decisions, decisions... do I make myself another coffee and keep on working, or do I chuck in the towell and try and get some sleep?

Ridin-High> how many hours of sleep do you need at night? I'm an eight hours a day kind of girl. Don't know how you could operate on 3 and a half!! What do you do for work by the way?

cheers,
Lisa

Well im going to cook some steak and vegies... for breakfast.

Yeah those Old spice commercials are funny as, They had the dude that does em on good morning america the other day (he was being in character as well, very funny). Also the ones with Terry crews (dude from white chicks) are awesome.

Yeah it is cold outside (just came back from a walk) but im all rugged up with jumpers, beanies etc.

I'm a 15hrs of sleep a day kinda guy (usually 9-10hrs). I work shift work so it throws my sleeping pattern around abit (work for railcorp).. I finished a block of 8pm-4am shifts the other day... im sappose to be working 4pm today but have court (work related) so i start earlier.

Hrmmmm your study stuff sounds very interesting

Regards,

RH

Well im going to cook some steak and vegies... for breakfast.

Yeah those Old spice commercials are funny as, They had the dude that does em on good morning america the other day (he was being in character as well, very funny). Also the ones with Terry crews (dude from white chicks) are awesome.

Yeah it is cold outside (just came back from a walk) but im all rugged up with jumpers, beanies etc.

I'm a 15hrs of sleep a day kinda guy (usually 9-10hrs). I work shift work so it throws my sleeping pattern around abit (work for railcorp).. I finished a block of 8pm-4am shifts the other day... im sappose to be working 4pm today but have court (work related) so i start earlier.

Hrmmmm your study stuff sounds very interesting

Regards,

RH

Have a great breakfast! I've decided to throw in the towell and go to bed. Not getting a lot of work done tonight, so I might as well get some sleep.

Have fun on the shift. I'll be up around midday to do it all again. :)

And a hello to all your early morning risers. What are you doing up so early? Are you insane!!! lol

Anyway, I'm off to bed... g'night !

Even though I work full time now, I still have my student sleeping pattern. I have trouble going to bed anywhere before say 1am. I find this is when I'm most productive and when I have more clarity in my thinking (and no, I don't take drugs and have never tried).

I eat fairly well and keep fit so I find this works for me. I sleep in abit on the weekends. I get critisized by some friends / family for being a night owl but each to their own, surely?

I'm doing a PhD on DIY investors actually. Currently transcribing all my interviews, and will need to start on the findings chapers soon. PhD is not due until April next year, but I've got so much to do before then, so the pressure is on!

How many of the SS Team have you got on board ??

I also am a night owl. I do most of my thinking and am most productive at night. Unfortunately, due to work commitments, it makes it very difficult to sleep, because right around the time my brain is most awake, I'm supposed to be asleep. I can't remember ever having a decent nights sleep (well, more than one or two nights in a row anyway). I would love to find a job that I enjoy that pays me well that allows me to work at night. I may just have found something today.

Thought it was 20 mins minimum to recharge?

There was some celebrity on the radio who claimed to take 20 minute naps 4-5 times a day and not have an actual sleep at all so that he could enjoy life around the clock.

I can be a bit of a night owl, but have slept by around midnight for a while now. I found that I was most productive writing when I woke up by natural daylight at 6-7am and slept naturally before midnight.

I've been involved with the US market heavily this year, and developing xls for workshops and presentations. I've cut back on my day commitments too.

The late nights are interesting.
I find if I have to do something that requires extreme (for me :)) concentration and creatively exploring permutations, such as in refining a mathematical model then programming it in visual basic, then the stillness of night helps.

However, for more process driven stuff, I do that better in the morning after a good night's sleep.

So creativity and parallel processing is better late at night, and serial processing systems stuff is better during the day.

I think the stillness of the night helps me forget about the external world more completely, and become more absorbed with my own thought processes.

Nevertheless, often I know staying up late is false economy. I don't actually achieve as much as I think, and am too wiped out the next day to do what I thought I might. After a very late night, I don't want to leave home for the whole day sometimes. The thought of being down at the shopping centre surrounded by loud and unthinking people and that overload of the sensorium is too abrasive.

Further, I would argue it is better for your health to stay in a daylight routine. Our bodies and endocrine systems evolved to do so. But I understand anyone who struggles to do that.

Sounds like your left brain and right brain work in shifts WW?

yeah there's a little bit of that I suppose. But it is also to do with shutting down your sensitivity to the external world so you can become absorbed in the internal world of ideas and reasoning. The less sub conscious attention you pay to external stimuli, the freer your brain is to sustain parallel processing.

The whole concept of introversion and extraversion is based on one's sensitivity to external stimuli. Introverts are more sensitive to it and need to avoid it to maintain a more comfortable mind state. Extraverts can tolerate a lot of activity around them and still think relatively clearly.

However, introverts 'tend' to be capable of more abstract and deeper thought than extraverts. I'd argue introspective introvert biased people probably work better late at night when the world is still around them. Anyway, I need to be asleep by midnight tonight. :)

Back