not allowed to take pictures !!

Should Photos be allowed at children sporting events ?

• NO Photos allowed

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Photos allowed

Votes: 61 96.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can seriously say I have not heard one parent express concern about people taking photos of other peoples children at a school or sporting event, nor express concerns about ordinary photos of their children being posted on sites like FB (exclude highly inappropriate or illegal content, but that's a different issue altogether).

Is this really a big concern out there? I'm not aware of it being raised at our childs school or sporting club - people at the sporting club would come to us to request such a thing if it was but haven't.

That said we have been asked numerous times and been made to sign a consent to have photos/footage of the children published, but these were for school advertising, newspaper and TV promotions like commercials, evening news, etc. where policy in those organisations required it for those situations.

In every case my children where not paid but were used to generate profit or business so a little different again imo.

Last edited:
I can seriously say I have not heard one parent express concern about people taking photos of other peoples children at a school or sporting event

Same here. At every school thing I have been to - and I go to a lot of them - every time there are kids on stage there are dozens and dozens of phones and cameras in the audience aimed at the stage. Some people seem to experience entire events through the prism of a viewfinder. Not once has there ever been a verbal or written suggestion of what people should or shouldn't do regarding photos.

That said we have been asked numerous times and been made to sign a consent to have photos/footage of the children published, but these were for school advertising, newspaper and TV promotions like commercials, evening news, etc. where policy in those organisations required it for those situations.

In every case my children where not paid but were used to generate profit or business so a little different again imo.

This is also the case at my children's school. Although the main reason consent is asked for is because the school newsletters are no longer printed on paper and handed out in class - they're downloaded on to the school's website each week. The kids always have photos on there from the previous week's activities. I also assume that there would be the usual AVO, domestic, custody, family issues so this probably covers the school legally.

This is also the case at my children's school. Although the main reason consent is asked for is because the school newsletters are no longer printed on paper and handed out in class - they're downloaded on to the school's website each week. The kids always have photos on there from the previous week's activities. I also assume that there would be the usual AVO, domestic, custody, family issues so this probably covers the school legally.

I'm pretty sure I filled out that one but there was also another specifically to advertise the school given to us before the specific photo was used (still on the website but not part of a newsletter) and the other was due to the media entering the school to take a photo to be published in The Advertiser newspaper (child did one of those Showdown footy photo spreads... like you do at school :confused:).

Im sure I put this up a few years ago but here is a great article on Photographers rights.

Written by an ex solicitor who funny enough mentioned in his introduction that he left the law profession to make a more "honest" living...!!

H haaa haa..!
That made me LOL...!:D

Slightly OT but I think this is funny/interesting, so will mention it...

one of my children was approached for a photo at a busy city skate park by The Advertiser for a story they were doing when he was 16 or 17yo.

They asked him and his friends if they'd like to pull down their jeans slightly so they could take a pic from behind for their story on the latest way young kids wear jeans.

He refused but his friends obliged... and consequently attracted lot of criticism (jeans were ridiculously low) when in actual fact the media couldn't find ANYONE wearing jeans that way :rolleyes:.

Why we shouldn't buy into 'slow news day' stories.

And continuing on from Weg's OT slant, that behaviour is very common amongst journos doing anti-cycling stories.

Funniest one I heard was a news crew in Sydney CBD getting a blind man (or some dude with glasses and a cane) to walk back and forth across a pedestrian crossing until they got their shot of a cyclist blowing through a red and almost hitting the guy

Of course the crew was there for a while. The media are scumbags.

And this no taking photos thing is ridiculous but we wrap kids in cotton wool these days so what do you expect? There were no pedo's in the 80's were there.

"The media are scumbags."

"Couldn't agree more."

Me too!
This is a good one; anybody seen the footage of an injured Palestinian bloke who is stretchered into an ambulance and then he promptly climbs out of the ambulance vehicle and walks away totally unencumbered, media still happy to run it - minus the last little bit of footage! Movie making but for the real news, yep scumbags.

Back