On Line Dating

wylie, if you were 30 years younger and I knew what you looked like. Mmmmm.
I would have though as a discerning ladies man; age would not bet a factor for you - just the quality, condition and appearance of the product.

You know; like driving a really good condition older car versus a newer car - both are enjoyable to drive - but in different ways, and both look great. ;)

I would have though as a discerning ladies man; age would not bet a factor for you - just the quality, condition and appearance of the product.

You know; like driving a really good condition older car versus a newer car - both are enjoyable to drive - but in different ways, and both look great. ;)

Nobody likes to drive an old car with lots of mileage but some people have no choice ;)

Probably used the wrong words.

Pub is for hook-ups, not for a life partner...in general

From my experience, I would agree. Most guys I've met at pubs have been yobbos or players just looking for a good time, or both.

I've never had one boyfriend that I met at a pub, club or nightclub.

Most of my ex-boyfriends I met at a skating rink (and no, I was not a kid). I did have one I met through work, & a couple that were friends of friends.

A pub might be fine, if that's where you want to regularly hang out, but I couldn't think of anything more boring. Hubby & I rarely go to pubs or clubs & it has been that way since day one. I think if you are looking for a life partner, then (other than online), look in the places that you like to frequent. There are tons of different sports & activities and basically if you 'get a life' and just meet more people, you will likely meet someone that has the same interests as yourself.

From my experience, I would agree. Most guys I've met at pubs have been yobbos or players just looking for a good time, or both.

I've never had one boyfriend that I met at a pub, club or nightclub.

Most of my ex-boyfriends I met at a skating rink (and no, I was not a kid). I did have one I met through work, & a couple that were friends of friends.

A pub might be fine, if that's where you want to regularly hang out, but I couldn't think of anything more boring. Hubby & I rarely go to pubs or clubs & it has been that way since day one. I think if you are looking for a life partner, then (other than online), look in the places that you like to frequent. There are tons of different sports & activities and basically if you 'get a life' and just meet more people, you will likely meet someone that has the same interests as yourself.

Same with me skater. Never met any at a pub.

...even though when I was under age I was kicked out of all the ones in our town. I was with older friends.

When I could legally go, I rarely went to them, as I find them extremely boring.

When I could legally go, I rarely went to them, as I find them extremely boring.

I love going to the pub. Meet so many different types of people. From the Cadburys that have just turned 18, right through to the old guys in their 60's who have some seriously funny stories and everyone in between.

That's the thing KD and Skater

Perhaps Pubs are not where most meet their partners, so who are we to judge, not everyone who goes to a pub is a dribbling drunk.

Just as in my day dating companies were considered absolutely taboo for losers, but not the case today, seems to be very acceptable, in fact we have some great posts on SS about this and some who have met and married.

I was watching a show on ABC regarding arranged marriages, apparently these work and stats back this up.

MTR:)

I was watching a show on ABC regarding arranged marriages, apparently these work and stats back this up.

MTR:)

I worked with a lovely woman whose parents had arranged her marriage. She and her husband had been together for forty years and were very happy. In some cultures, the parents interview not only the prospective son/daughter-in-law, but also his/her parents to see whether they are happy for their child to marry into that family. I think that's a fabulous idea. Parents have travelled down the road of life much longer than their children and can see things that their children don't/can't see.

Depends what you mean by "prospect".

If the prospect is for sex only, then no.2 is all you need.

From what has been said, it would appear for some that it's a lot more than sex. They give the strong impression that it's more about the chase and the conquest rather than just about sex. So the other points (say youth and femininity in the list given) come into play. There's no sense of conquest in bedding an old or unattractive lady.

The whole discussion also gives differing views of what "the game" is about. Many here have talked about relationships. People who are in a long term relationship value those relationships. For me, a relationship is about sharing and communicating with a person who I value and enjoy being with.

For others it's about the trophy- the opposite sex is not something to be valued, but to be conquered. Something to be discarded once the conquest has been made.

Perhaps Pubs are not where most meet their partners, so who are we to judge, not everyone who goes to a pub is a dribbling drunk.

Oh, I'm quite aware of that. I spent much of my formative years having to endure weekends at the local pub with my parents & their friends. My parents used to Manage a pub back in Wales when I was a baby. When they emigrated to Australia, their entire social life revolved around their local.

I vividly remember our local. It had a bar area at the front, and a 'family' area at the back. At one stage the publican had a child the same age as me & we'd go upstairs into the residence to play, but overall my most vivid memories are of boredom, old men and the stench of beer.

That's probably why I loved skating so much. As soon as I was old enough, I spent my entire weekend at the skating rink. I'd catch the bus to be there at 10.00am on Saturday morning, would skate until 12.00, either go to the beach or a friend's place until 2.00 then skate until 4.30, hang out with more friends, be back at the rink by 7.00pm, skate until 10.00pm & Dad would pick me up.

Back