Paint, carpet, kitchen and bathrom - how much?

New to the world of IP, and have been looking at (what feels like) zillions of houses.

Just wondering what the standard costs are to repaint, recarpet, install new kitchen and new bathroom in a standard 3 bedroom house.

I know this is a pretty broad question, but at this stage everything is pretty 'wide spectrum' for me, so just a rough guesstimate will keep me happy for now.

Any ideas?

Dave, we do this type of thing fairly regularly, but to get a better answer, you need to decide what you will do yourself, as paying others to do these things, and doing most of it yourself will bring such different costs.

I have the figures of "stuff" we bought for the last two reno jobs we did, one of which included ripping out and installing a new bathroom, and sanding floors (done by a professional), which I am happy to dig out for you, but this was buying bathroom fittings ourselves, buying tiles ourselves and laying them ourselves etc.

Of course, if you are not labouring yourself, my figures will not be much help but no doubt, there will plenty of other answers to help you.

Thanks for that. I'm an IT guy, not a handy guy (just ask my partner, she'll confirm that :p).

So I was really working on the premise that I'd be paying someone to do pretty much everything.

Some of the costs for various bits and pieces we have done in the past:

$4500 cash to get av 3 bed home in Sydney painted, incl ceilings and external wood (brick house)

$3000 cheap carpet in the same house

$1500 blinds entire house, curtains are more like $5000

around $12,000 for medium sized kitchen in our PPOR, including 90cm oven and rangehood and cheapie dishwasher, 2-pack cupboards and granite benchtops, with DIY installation. Our friends went through a kitchen company to get their kitchen done, a smaller kitchen than ours in vinyl doors with a laminate benchtop from memory it was around $13,000 but I don't think that included appliances.

I have never done a bathroom so can't help you out there. May be able to update in 6 months when we do the bathroom in our PPOR ;)

Allow 6 to 7 grand for a bathroom.
Don't expect to get much for it though.What i have found is that you can look around and find an old chippy to do the job for you you can save a few dollars.Most of your money will go on labour,so if you can keep his down then you can win.Don't get a builder in as he will charge you 10% for all trades that come in.
Cheers

Hi Dave

If you hunt around and find materials yourself and have the different trades use them, costings would be:
Bathroom $5,000
Kitchen $5,000 with stainless steel appliances and granite all installed
Carpet for 3 bedder $1500 (laid)
Painting for 3 bedder around $1500
Verticals $1200

If you can do a little of the labouring yourself, you can save more.
Hope that helps.

Back