Painting everything Ceiling White - problem?

I want to smash out a paint job as quick as I can for an IP and I'm just wondering - is there anything special about ceiling white - can I just use it on all walls as well? Any problem wiht this other than boring?

I cannot be bothered with getting the small brush out and agonising over the colour border.

I'd go the opposite way and paint the ceiling the same as the walls with washable paint.

Even if you just do the ceiling in a half shade of the wall colour the border will be easy enough.

The composition of ceiling white is such that it has tiny tiny raised particles that bounce the light off a certain way - that is why you cant wash ceiling white. If you run a cloth along it you take off the bumps and it goes shiny.

I would be using a washable paint on the walls - save you money on an earlier repaint.

Ceiling paint is designed to be ultra flat so it doesn't show up irregularities in the ceiling itself. It's also lower grade quality in most cases because it's not expected to have to be as durable; it's not expected to be bumped and scraped like the walls will be. It's often thicker so it can be applied in a single non-drip coat.

Ceiling paint is not designed to be applied to walls at all. You'll also get a more durable finish if you're applying multiple coats rather than a single thick coat.

This is all fine if you're doing a cheap reno before selling but be aware that a trained eye can spot the difference. If you're going to hold this property, take a little extra time to do the job properly so it'll last 10+ years rather than 2.

You can get away with a flat wall paint for the ceiling, but it is more difficult to apply (wall paint isn't designed to be non-drip). Don't go with a lo sheen and especially not a semi-gloss as it will show all the ceiling bumps.

Painting just takes time....;)

If the paint is not too far gone maybe you could just paint partway up the wall to hide all the marks.....???
Use the same colour as existing....
I have done this before - quick to hide some damage and get the IP rented.

But - If you can - paint and profit.
Can you get someone to help you - local gumtree cash labourer perhaps?
Then you can use better wash & wear paint and get a much better looking, long term, longer lasting result.

Good luck!

I like simplicity.

I prefer (not a rule, but a strong preference) to do all our IPs in the same ceiling paint, even if the walls end up slightly different. It can be hard enough to keep track of the paint variations/remnants as it is, and ceilings are one thing that I think look fine in a plain ole' white.

So I guess my response is less about WHICH paint you use, but just a vote for consistency. At least for ceilings.

I would like consistancy across walls, too, but I've not had to do enough wall repairs/painting to make it worthwhile to change them all to the same..... so far. :D

So if you think you are going to be doing more re-paints in the near future, just pick two paints (one wall, one ceiling) you like and use them for multiple IPs??

I have used the same color and paint for wall and ceiling and cornice.
I used either matt or semi gloss. I avoid gloss on ceiling as the roller strokes are evident.
This saves you alot of time since you can use the roller/brush throughout.

In my first paint job, i used different colour for cornice, wall and ceiling + a featured wall. It took much longer, plus a tenant request to repaint my featured wall because he didn't like my choice of colour (where's the love)..

I have never had tenant asking to reduce rent or complain if its white though out.

on the subject of paint...
first job i used dulux and other good brands of paint which is about $160 for 15L from Bunning.

Then I tried to cut cost, and used a cheaper brand. I think it was Tradman from Bunning that cost about $80 ( cant remember exact cost but much cheaper that other brands)

What brand paint do you use for internal walls/ceilings?
How much for 15L as a comparison?
Where do you buy from?

on the subject of paint...
first job i used dulux and other good brands of paint which is about $160 for 15L from Bunning.
Then I tried to cut cost, and used a cheaper brand. I think it was Tradman from Bunning that cost about $80 ( cant remember exact cost but much cheaper that other brands)
What brand paint do you use for internal walls/ceilings?
How much for 15L as a comparison?
Where do you buy from?

I have used Brinlay Paints with success - cheaper than the majors and seems just as good.
http://www.brinlay.com/
Will match any other paint colours as well.....;)

I once used Tradex which was about half price and suppposed to be pretty much the same as a regular tin of paint but for tradies.
Paints are so good these days and really do help to keep away mould, give great finishes as neK said.
Also, I painted one place myself 6 years ago and it still looks great.
Got a painter to do another one 4 years ago and it's already over-due for another painting. Didn't like this guy much at the time - probably only did one coat!
Anyway, just make sure you wash it all off yourself at the end of the day!

So no worries if I just use taubmans endure white (or very slightly offwhite) on walls and ceiling? would wall paint on ceilings look funny?

also as a further timesaver, can I TINT my undercoat to the final colour and get away with just 1 topcoat?

Surely you'll use ceiling paint on the ceiling? and tint it a little if you're worried about cutting in from the wall?
It'll be a drama trying to get wall paint to stick to the ceiling.
PT: You can get away with a flat wall paint for the ceiling, but it is more difficult to apply (wall paint isn't designed to be non-drip).
Tinting the undercoat is a good idea. Slightly off-white sounds nice.
There's no short-cuts when it comes to painting.:)

Last edited:
Surely you'll use ceiling paint on the ceiling? and tint it a little if you're worried about cutting in from the wall?
It'll be a drama trying to get wall paint to stick to the ceiling.

Tinting the undercoat is a good idea. Slightly off-white sounds nice.
There's no short-cuts when it comes to painting.:)

Got it... no shortcuts (other than tinting undercoat!)

So no worries if I just use taubmans endure white (or very slightly offwhite) on walls and ceiling? would wall paint on ceilings look funny?

also as a further timesaver, can I TINT my undercoat to the final colour and get away with just 1 topcoat?

We use taubmans and british paints from Bunnings for all out IP's.

The Y-man

If the walls and ceiling are already fairly white and not badly stained or mouldy you don't need undercoat just one decent top coat.

make sure it's got at least some tint in it though, I use a tint called builders white even on ceilings, it gives better cover.

The 'Accent' range which is the Mitre10 homebrand is made in the same factory as either British Paints or Taubmanns, cant remember which.

I've used it extensively and its fine.

Back