Painting Oil Based Doors

Hi all,

Im not sure what the process is for repainting oil based doors... was hoping someone could give me some advice.

The current colour is yellow, looking to paint it a lighter yellow (closer to white).

The architraves are metal (like most units), but some paint has come off and left the exposed metal (no rust visible).

Can i use a roller?

Do I need to sand? (Would like to avoid this if possible).

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Are you looking to paint them in water based paint now? If so you'll need a specific primer. I got some yesterday from Bunnings but cant remember specifics. A light sand, apply primer then water based paints over the top should be fine.

I used a small roller for mine and just a small brush for tricky corner bits.

I think im just going to repaint them in oil based. I'd rather avoid sanding if possible.

Place is vacant right now, so it can't be that bad right?

I think im just going to repaint them in oil based. I'd rather avoid sanding if possible.

Place is vacant right now, so it can't be that bad right?

why avoid, its so damn easy unless its got holes in it

get some sand paper and rub away,

I sand my doors down in 45 seconds each side!

ESP - Easy surface prepare. rub it on, wait, paint over it. has worked well everytime I have used it.

^ ^ +1.
Especially if you are painting gloss enamel over gloss enamel.

You can use a roller but get one designed for oil based paints which has a shorter nap.

Remove the door to paint all the edges and the bottom
You have to sand it to rough up the finish.
Make sure you remove the loose paint
Use water-based primer as and undercoat or primer
Let 24 hours drying then light sand it
Paint the final finish coat with oil based paint
Let 12 hours drying and it is ready for re-installing

hmmm, thats very interesting

so which is a better finish, getting some sandpaper and scrubbing it down in 2 mins vs using this stuff? and whats teh difference?>

If you are painting over oil based paint, then you'd sand the door regardless as it provides a key for the new paint, use an oil based undercoat which can be coated with acrylic paint (and sand between coats).

Another question, the bathroom ceiling, paint is flaking in some areas.

I will sand the ceiling in the areas where its flaking and patch it over with some polyfilla then sand it again. However in terms of paint do I use:

Option 1. Zinsser PERMA-WHITE MOULD & MILDEW PROOF INTERIOR PAINT
http://www.rustoleum.com.au/index.php/products/item/perma-white?category_id=24

Option 2. Taubmans Ceiling Once Paint with VC175 mould killer added
http://www.taubmans.com.au/Paints/One-Coat-Ceiling
http://www.floodaustralia.net/products/anti_mould/VC175.php

This is for my sisters investment property and the intention is to NOT have to go back and repaint for at least 10 years (the longer the better!).

This is for my sisters investment property and the intention is to NOT have to go back and repaint for at least 10 years (the longer the better!).

Depends on the bathroom design and ventilation.

How long did the last one last before flaking?

The Y-man

Depends on the bathroom design and ventilation.

How long did the last one last before flaking?

The Y-man

Dont know. she just bought the place.

There isnt an exhaust fan, but it does receive good ventilation (ie theres no building opposite to block the wind and its on the 2nd floor).

I'm painting a few old oil-based doors during the night this week after work. I made the mistake of using water based primer the first time and it flaked so this is how I'm doing it this time...

- remove doors from hinges and take to garage to prop up on sawhorses
- sand with 120 grit nonclog sandpaper then again with 240 grit, clean it up with a wet rag to remove dust
- apply oil primer using dulux 1 step and a foam roller so i can throw it out afterwards rather than trying to clean it
- sand with 240 grit, wipe down
- apply water based topcoat with short nap roller, i'm using dulux aquanamel

hope that helps, takes a while but i mucked it up the first time so trying to get it right this time.

Back