Pathetic Propery managers

Hi ppl,

Im really pissed off with my PM/PM'S (who really knows as there is a new person i talk to every week..)
I have had a tenet in my property who signed a 6month contract (Sept
and is now $2500 behind in rent 8 weeks!!

I am constantly calling the real estate and they are constantly telling me they are trying to get onto him to no avail and that he claims he will come in and pay yet never does.. ??? WTF
PM "claims" they are going to VCAT Jan 5th
and "claim cops are issuing warrant to evict this scumbag Jan 17th".

What can I do?
I really want to rock up to MY house with a couple mates and have a friendly chat but PM says not a good idea...

BTW this is MPRE Langwarrin which I highly DO NOT RECOMMEND
which will now loose 7 properties from there services.

sounds like your PM has done the right thing, it takes a while to go to tribunal. it doesn't happen overnight.

You could always rock up with a few mates and a baseball bat I suppose, but so long as you're aware of the legalities involved with that which would probably include a goal term. Good luck.

Don't get involved... you have landlord insurance, and they'll get the message when they lose seven properties. Just make sure you find a better agent next time, obviously this one's efforts at vetting tenants were rubbish.

Hi ppl,

Im really pissed off with my PM/PM'S (who really knows as there is a new person i talk to every week..)
I have had a tenet in my property who signed a 6month contract (Sept
and is now $2500 behind in rent 8 weeks!!

I am constantly calling the real estate and they are constantly telling me they are trying to get onto him to no avail and that he claims he will come in and pay yet never does.. ??? WTF
PM "claims" they are going to VCAT Jan 5th
and "claim cops are issuing warrant to evict this scumbag Jan 17th".

What can I do?
I really want to rock up to MY house with a couple mates and have a friendly chat but PM says not a good idea...

BTW this is MPRE Langwarrin which I highly DO NOT RECOMMEND
which will now loose 7 properties from there services.

Bon it does take a long time, but not usually 8+ weeks.

To the OP my course of action would be as follows :-

Ask PM for paperwork of service of NTV - this should have been served on the 15th day the tenant was late (NTV can only be served after 14 full days) make sure you check your landlord policy as some will not cover a claim if notice was not served by the 18th day.

If notice was served on time, also find out when a VCAT hearing notice was sent. Usually this is served approx. 3 days after the original NTV is sent as the PM needs to allow postage time and also see if the tenant pays up.

Usually a VCAT hearing is scheduled within 2 weeks, so in total the max you should be out of rent so far would be 4-6 weeks.

I would not be getting all red in the face until you have all this paperwork, as sometimes the courts can get quite busy and hearings may be delayed.

Also, if it turns out the NTV was not served within 15-18 days check through your LL policy and see if it is void. If it is, I would immediately be seeking compensation from your current agent.

Hope that helps.

They aren't mucking around with rent arrears hearings at Frankston courts at the moment. I put in for a hearing late December and had a hearing date for this week before I went on leave. Two 1/2 weeks between original notice and hearing date so I think 8 weeks is excessive especially in this area. Sounds as though you've had a lot of change and no body is really aware of what is happening with the properties. It's a shame but can happen over christmas when there are a lot of PM's in an office and everybody is on leave. Good luck with the hearing on Friday. Your PM should be granted possession and then permission to purchase a warrant. They can then purchase the warrant (around $75). The warrant may not be availible to purchase until Monday 9th January.
Once the warrant has been purchased they must book in a time with the police to attend, the PM has to be there with a locksmith. The police have 14 days to carry out the warrant once purchased or it expires. If you don't purchase the warrant then you usually have about 6 months leway to get it.
Have your PM (or your new one) arrange for consumer affairs to inspect any goods left behind before it is disposed of (to avoid any strife down the track) and also to keep all invoices of work done (rubbish removal, any repairs, cleaning, carpet cleaning etc. ) and to take a lot of photos. Most landlords insurance claims require a VCAT order for compensation to pay out on damages and loss of rent, the bond will often be enough to cover cleaning costs.
Feel free to drop me a line if it all gets too much, good luck and let us know how it all goes.

Back