Peeling bathtub

so a while back for my first reno, I asked on here and a few bunnings shops the best way to fix a peeling bathtub for a fairly cheap IP,

the most common answer was white knight bathtub paint, which was fairly expensive at about $25-$30 per can, ended up using 2 cans,

as recommended, bath tub was cleaned with sugar soap left to dry and then sanded with medium grit paper,

two cans were used, however, 3 months later its completely peeled off, now unless the tenant decided to take a shower in their ice skating shoes, this I would think is no the best outcome for a premium product and in 3 months,

anyone, know what went wrong

here are some photos
Before
2z82q9w.jpg

After spray paint
9avfvn.jpg

after 3 months
ehkda1.jpg

I think I have an answer - as far as I know white knight is not the product for baths. From memory (more than 5 yrs since i looked at a can) the can says not for areas full of hot water (aka baths) just tiles and laminate.

Tub n tile is the one you want for the bath, or a pro using some kind of 2 pack epoxy.

Sorry but I dont know if white knight would give you any warranty joy on that one.

I did some shower wall tiles and other bathroom wall tiles in 1 place about 7 yrs ago its still ok. Prep is the key but product must be fit for purpose too.

I wouldn't bother with the paints, even when the pros do it, it ends up peeling after 12-24 months. The cast iron just expands and contracts too much with the heat. I would just put in a new bathtub and be done with it.

thermoglaze

I had a cast bath painted by the pros. Comes with a 7 year warranty and costs $580.
It was cheaper option for me then replacing the bath and setting the new one.
No probs yet and still looks great.

I've had a bathtub in an IP (enamel was chipped in a few places etc) that I did with tub n tile (http://www.whiteknightpaints.com.au/specialty-paints/home-restoration/tub-'n'-tile/) and it is still good after 5+ years.

You mix A & B together and apply one day, put the remainder of the mix in the fridge until day 2 and do a 2nd coat. Is that what you did?

I had good results with tile paint - but not used on the tub - only the wall tiles - and definitely not the floor tiles.

I've had a bathtub in an IP (enamel was chipped in a few places etc) that I did with tub n tile (http://www.whiteknightpaints.com.au/specialty-paints/home-restoration/tub-'n'-tile/) and it is still good after 5+ years.

You mix A & B together and apply one day, put the remainder of the mix in the fridge until day 2 and do a 2nd coat. Is that what you did?

I had good results with tile paint - but not used on the tub - only the wall tiles - and definitely not the floor tiles.

no it was just the spray can, sold at bunnings, obviously if I knew it was going to be peeling I would have used something else,

damn it, was absolutely assured by every person I spoke to that it was the easiest and best way to do it ;(

no it was just the spray can, sold at bunnings, obviously if I knew it was going to be peeling I would have used something else,
damn it, was absolutely assured by every person I spoke to that it was the easiest and best way to do it ;(

You should have asked here on the SS forum first! (Do you know how much the ppl in Bunnings get paid for their "advice"? :eek:)

You should have asked here on the SS forum first! (Do you know how much the ppl in Bunnings get paid for their "advice"? :eek:)

thats the thing!:D it was based on somersoft advice that I went and did it haha

I think it was someone else thread, but it specifically said the white knight bath tub spray paint ,

I even had purchased a new bathtub to put in, but gave the spray a try and it looked perfect so I returned the bathtub!!! bath tub was onlike like $99 as well!!

Hi Propertunity,

I have a bathtub which has a patch of rust (~4cm x 2cm) on the floor so I am thinking of sanding and prepping then using this paint whiteknights tub & tile using a brush. Will my plan work or do you need to spray it to achieve a decent result? It's for an low-med grade IP.

Thanks,

Joel

Hi Joel,

I used a brush on mine. If I had my time over I'd have used a small foam roller. But the brush was still fine. You can't clean them up in water or turps, so I threw each brush away on each day (need 2 for 2 days). I don't think spraying is an option.

Thanks. The website said it can be sprayed using the rust solvent as a thinner. Bit of a diy beginner so will sanding by hand be doable or absolutely tedious for doing the whole tub? If tedious what power tool should I buy?

Back