Perth - 3 unit/villa development

MTR,

Not sure what;s an unofficial holidays period in WA but HIA does mention about 8 weeks in total over xmas.

However, similar development like yours in sydney would have easily gone over 12 months!

your telling me....ggggrrrrrrrr!!! :mad: @ council.

Yeah I think 9 months for a triplex is not too bad at all. :)

In Perth, during normal construction conditions, 6 months would be the target for turnkey.

As mentioned though, the skills shortage is almost as crisis point for a lot of builders. I get at least 2-3 calls a day asking for trades from friends I had at other builders.

Our window manufacturer is taking no more bookings as of November 7 for anything to be done prior to Christmas break.

9 months would be more than acceptable in the current climate, including Christmas break and adding on 4 weeks of a normal build for a "turnkey" finish.

Yeah its an interesting market out there.

I've been really impressed with one of my current builders though. 4 apartments on a tight inner city site, slab went down in march and on target for march turnkey completion. 12 months for a pretty architectural 2 storey 4 unit build with some details needing fair bit of attention to detail is good imo.

The other one is way behind unfortunately so I guess you win some you lose some...

Lockup? Surely you are are past lock up and mean Practical Completion?

Trades will continue to a few days before Christmas then knock off for 3 weeks with a few tradies choosing to work through.

5 months for a triplex build was very 'ideal world' with no weather, supplies or trade delays. 9 months is a better figure to use for conservative budgeting. Then anything less is a bonus ;)

I can't wait to see them.

Yes, confused Practical completion.

I have just had an interesting 2 days -

We are currently organising fencing ($12,000) and contractor asked me to prune the neighbours tree overhanging on my property so he could install the fence. I employed a contractor to prune overhanging trees.

Yesterday tree contractor advised that the neighbour chopped down a tree on their property and dumped it on my property and it would cost me more.

I phoned the neighbour to advise that they need to remove their tree branches from our property. They are not interested in doing anything.

Looks like we will be placing this on their verge over the w/end. Nice neighbours

Also discussed the fencing on this side with my fencing contractor. Currently an old asbestos fence which needs removing, the fencing contractor mentioned we can place the new colour bond fence in front of the asbestos fence this way we do not have to deal with these neighbours as we know they will be very difficult. It will also be a cheaper option as we are not removing the asbestos. What do you think of this option??

Phew. If it was lock up then you'd be ages away from completion.

.... and end up in Graylands Hospital, come to think of it I can always arrange a bed, lets see how the fencing and neighbour fiasco goes. Everything so far has been pretty smooth who would think ferrel neighbours.

Also discussed the fencing on this side with my fencing contractor. Currently an old asbestos fence which needs removing, the fencing contractor mentioned we can place the new colour bond fence in front of the asbestos fence this way we do not have to deal with these neighbours as we know they will be very difficult. It will also be a cheaper option as we are not removing the asbestos. What do you think of this option??

Used to do it all the time when I worked on the development side of things.

Push the fence a bit, and put a nice new shiny colorbond fence up. Doesn't break any rules, as it is within your boundary, you don't touch the asbestos nor pay for its removal. Everyone (well, mostly you) wins, provided you don't mind losing around 100mm along that boundary.

Brilliant Boeman
My builder just phoned me he does this all the time when the neighbours wont pay for half the fence. I think I may look at saving at least $2000, but more importantly don't have to deal with neighbour issues.

MTR:)

Brilliant Boeman
My builder just phoned me he does this all the time when the neighbours wont pay for half the fence. I think I may look at saving at least $2000, but more importantly don't have to deal with neighbour issues.

I would go with this option. Saves asbestos removal fees and it's your fence so really you can do what you want with it on your side.

Unfortunately all trades take their Xmas break last day 19 December, this has seriously put a spanner in the works as they don't get back until mid January, so project will realistically be completed end Jan/ early February.

Am meeting the builder and project manager on site on Tuesday to look at what needs to be completed. Also had an issue with the tiler using wrong tile colour for all toilets, he will have to sort this out and the builder said he got it wrong and it will be completed and wont hold up anything, unfortunately no tiles in Australia, but I have selected something that will work.

I am very pleased with the product/quality it is excellent. Have also learnt so much that will help me with when I start another build in Perth and am hoping to use the same builder depending on costs of course.

I am now only considering selling one villa and holding two to reduce tax bill.

I will only take photos at the end of the project as you will get a much better idea on the end product.

That's a shame, one good thing is that trades have been coming back earlier and earlier, this year I think some came back around 5th and majority a week later. When did your builder get to site?

That's a shame, one good thing is that trades have been coming back earlier and earlier, this year I think some came back around 5th and majority a week later. When did your builder get to site?

Yes, my builder/project manager back on 5 Jan, however not all unfortunately. Stone guy for bench tops kitchen/laundry coming back on 12 Jan.

I am also away from 3 January, but I will be on the blower for updates, just when they thought they got lucky;)

Yes, my builder/project manager back on 5 Jan, however not all unfortunately. Stone guy for bench tops kitchen/laundry coming back on 12 Jan.

I am also away from 3 January, but I will be on the blower for updates, just when they thought they got lucky;)

any updates or photos of this ripper of a project? ;) nice project and very fast turn over

Fencing contractors there today, should be completed by Wednesday, $12,000, word of warning, don't expect any neighbours to chip in with this because they don't have too.... damn it.

Other than this.... its pretty boring at moment because the trades have all gone on their holiday break and wont be back till 12 January, then it will be skirtings, completing all cornices, kitchen overhead cupboards, finish electrics. Expecting this project to be completed by early/mid February.

Will then see where the rents are at and how the market is going. I am planning to sell villa 1 and keep villa 2/3, I am not emotional about this just sell the villa that gives me the best $.

Not taking any photos until it has been completed so you can all get a better idea.

I am also going to Port Douglas shortly, so I can also give everyone a break.... not:) I will be phoning them after 5 Jan when my builder is back just to keep them on their toes... hehe, it does not always work though:p

I just took the dog for a walk around the new estate by me and I counted 5 houses with tradies at them today. I spotted a cabinet maker, a plumber, plasterer, brickie renderer and someone I couldn't identify.

I just took the dog for a walk around the new estate by me and I counted 5 houses with tradies at them today. I spotted a cabinet maker, a plumber, plasterer, brickie renderer and someone I couldn't identify.

Yes, they probably stole my tradesmen:p everyone is poaching at the moment

Back