Petition to sign if you could

I am not usually an on-line sign-er of petitions, but this one really caught me.

First our bees are dying in mass numbers because of lack of diversity, pesticides and chemicals ... and now the EU (under pressure from the big hybrid developers) wants to ban the planting of un-EU approved crops or even selling of the seeds for personal cultivation.

"The forbidden seed! How many here know that the EU is preparing legislation that will make it illegal to grow crops that are not on a list of approved seeds? A list that currently 60% dominated by big corporations like Monsanto, AstraZeneca, Bayer and others?

Today, there are three lists, one for professional growth, one of the endangered species and one for amateur cultivation. The latter two are to be removed.

The pros list are basically only hybrids - which means that you can not take next year's seed from his crop. Furthermore, it not only be forbidden to sell seeds other than those already mentioned, but also to grow.

"File sharing" in the area of seeds will become a criminal act. This means that people be even less able to influence what you eat, when you can not even decide what to grow. It also means that the varieties that are historically interesting will disappear, even varieties that can withstand our climate"

As a grower of uncommon varieties, both in my personal vege garden and soon-to-be commercially, I am appalled that this is even up for discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those that might be questioning the source and legitimacy of the claims made in this petition ... the EU changes are known as the "plant reproductive material law" if you want to google it

That is scary ... refer page 5 if in doubt ... I completely understand the need for more food production, but not at the expense of heritage species. Diversity is essential for this planets' (and our) survival.

This issue raised its ugly head closer to home a couple of years ago in NZ..
a Food bill was proposed (and is still in proposal stage) that effectively made it a privilage not a right to be able to grow food.

There was a huge fuss on another forum I chat on.

A new Food Bill is being brought in here in New Zealand. The new bill will make it a privilege and not a right to grow food...

- It turns a human right (to grow food and share it) into a government-authorised privilege that can be summarily revoked.

- Growing food for distribution must be authorised, even for “cottage industries??, and such authorisation can be denied.

- Under the Food Bill, Police acting as Food Safety Officers can raid premises without a warrant, using all equipment they deem necessary ??" including guns (Clause 265 ??" 1).

- The Bill gives Food Safety Officers immunity from criminal and civil prosecution

- The bill would undermine the efforts of many people to become more self-sufficient within their local communities.

Read the whole article here: http://www.infowars.com/new-food-bill-in-new-zealand-takes-away-human-right-to-grow-food/

Other links the bill itself here

News report here

It's come to my attention that the link to the petition has been removed.

No issues with this - I guess if we all started putting up petitions willy nilly then this site would become a nightmare ... however ... I do feel strongly about the subject of the right to grow your own veges, share them and the seeds with your neighbour and retain flora diversity ... for the sake of all life on this planet (does that make me a nutter?). Rather more basic for survival than "right to bear arms" but the "right to grow food" is rather important

So, I'm not putting the link back up - but - if you want to sign it then google Henrik P petition and it should come up as the first item ... called "We don't accept this. Let us keep our seeds".

I hope this is acceptable mods ... it puts the onus back on the sign-er to "find" the petition rather than clicking on a line.

Back