Petty complaints from tenant

Hi Guys,

We have a new tenant in one of our IP's that complains about the smallest problem. The house is only 11 years old and in excellent condition.

I realise that it is our responsibility to have everything in working order but some of her requests are quite petty. I'm sure if I had a look around our house I could put together a list of things that probably should be fixed but we just live with them.

Where do you draw the line between what is essential to fix and what is just ridiculous?

How do you manage tenants constant requests?

Cheers,

Bazza

Through careful tenant selection, I have been lucky not to have had many tenant requests. Can you give us some examples of what they are requesting?
Thanks

Through careful tenant selection, I have been lucky not to have had many tenant requests. Can you give us some examples of what they are requesting?
Thanks

Hi yo yo ma,

We have just had a handyman around last week which cost $175 to fix a number of issues:
  1. Window locks difficult to lock (I looked at these myself and found that they all lock with a with of jiggling around)
  2. Flywire on ensuite widow bent
  3. Wardrobe doors sticking (but they close OK)
    Loose light fitting

This week it's the TV antenna )probably got a new plasma and don't know how to tune it in?). Next week it will probably be a blown light globe.

Apart from the cost it's all the time it takes to organise the repairs that is the problem.

Cheers,

Bazza

Repair stuff that is a genuine maintenace issue.

For other things, say that you regard this as typical wear and tear for a house of this age. The items work - they simply are not in pristine brand new condition. The house was rented as is.

My lease also lists some basic upkeep items for which the tenant is responsible (keep house clean, maintain garden, change light globes, check smoke alarm and change battery, etc).

Thanks Dis.

Good idea putting the up-keep items in the lease agreement - I'll do that next time.

Fair wear and tear is also a good argument but when it comes to say the TV antenna I have to send a guy around to fix it before I know whether it is their TV/Set top box or the actual antenna that is at fault?

Cheers,

Bazza

My lease also lists some basic upkeep items for which the tenant is responsible (keep house clean, maintain garden, change light globes, check smoke alarm and change battery, etc).
Good point about the smoke alarm batteries. It has been discussed before but with the new regulation in Qld, it is good to have it in the lease that the tenant changes the batteries & notifies the landlord promptly, if there are any faults with the alarm.

Baz with the antenna, I agree that it is hard to know what is at fault. Maybe get a written agreement before the guy comes out as to who will pay... ie you if antenna is broken or the tenant if it is the TV?

That's great. I would probably go out the next time something needs fixing and whisper none too subtly while walking away "$175 repair bill this week .... hmmm that almost means that I'll need an extra $20 in rent per week..."

We contacted the tenant and said that if the antenna is not faulty and the TV is to blame then they will have to pay the costs and they agreed. So this time we have the upper hand.

Mry, I might just try that next time. Hopefully, they will settle down now.

Cheers,

Bazza

In Vic - as per RTA maintenanc must be in writing. we have a form we supply to the tenants when they move in so they can fax, email to the office. the form clearly states that

should no fault be found or the maintenance issue is the result of tenant negligence or incorrect use any cost/charges will be the responsibility of the tenant. e.g safety swich keeps tripping - should this be the result of a faulty appliance being used and belonging to you any charges will be your responsiblity.

something like poor t.v reception where there is nothing wrong with antenna & cords and turns out to be that the tenant has not tuned the tv correctly then any call out fee would be the responsiblity of the tenant.

We find that having this clearly pointed out and in writing at the time of reporting any maintenance issue most tenants will double check everything before they put in a maintenance report.

I like that Callander.

Actually, the TV guy has just finished at the property and found that they had their cables plugged in the wrong way (even though they insisted they had tried all three antenna points in the house and even tried another TV). So, the TV repair guy charged the tenants $70 - great!

Having done service for years myself I know never to listen to what a customer says!

Cheers,

Bazza

I have had tenants complain about ants and also about other tenants using their carparks . To me , I will ignore such pathetic complaints . I mean WTF am i supposed to do ? It generally sorts itself out I've found .

On the other hand , serious pluming needs urgent attention really ...

I once had a tenant break the toilet . You would wonder how this might happen ? Plumer reckons somone dropped a stubbie on it while having a pee . Really , what next ?

I sometimes wonder how these people get on with all this who own dozens of resi props . How do they keep their sanity ?

pursefattener, Daz

Agree entirely!!! With 270 properties, how many PMs would you have to deal with??? 'Tis the stuff of nightmares, methinks! :(

Cheers
LynnH

Agree entirely!!! With 270 properties, how many PMs would you have to deal with??? 'Tis the stuff of nightmares, methinks!

I think at that stage S McK had his own team so probably about 2-3 staff to manage the whole lot of them!

We to have a tenant who complains constantly about every little thing even the outdoor open carport getting a puddle of water when it poured down rain (its a carport that has 4 steel legs and flat roof on top completly open) and just recently today has demanded to my agent that i pay her some sort of compensation for the the electricity the pump for the pool uses ??:confused:
She moved knowing the house had a pool and that it was going to be her responsiblity to clean and maintain it ,its on her lease that the pool was to be maintained by her, we have been kind organised a professional cleaning to go once a month to do a good clean at our expense no cost to her , all she has to do is turn the pump on for a few hours every second day.... i have refused to pay for the electricty and i think she will be taking it further .
She still has 10 months left on lease and i can see it will be very long 10 months.
Has anyone here had trouble like this before , do you think i am being unreasonable?
Thanks

We had a tenant complain today.They were actually swearing at me on the phone. Asked me why I cashed their cheque at the bank today , now they had no money for Xmas ...groceries etc.
I calmly said it was Dec rent.We waitied until today to cash (baby bonus cheques arrived today)
They moved out Nov 30, giving us one weeks notice. Their lease expires Feb 28/08.

Then we received an email from them tonight. They tried a different tactic. They were pleasant. Asked if we could work something out.

I sent them a one word reply. NO

Now I have money to buy our 4 kids Xmas presents.

Very recently I found I had paid for the removal of a swarm of bees on the footpath OUTSIDE my rental property. The tenant phoned the PM who sent out the beecatcher - $150!!!

Another tenant constantly complained that the hot water was too hot. Originally PM sent out plumber who stated that HWS was too old to reduce the temperature and for the tenant to use more cold water.....within weeks the HWS gained a puncture in the tank :confused: and had to be replaced at a cost of $1200, so now tenant has tepid hot water without having to turn on the cold tap. No doubt next tenant will complain hot water not hot enough.

BUT on the other side, I have a house where the tenant never notifies the PM that there is a problem. The shower had been leaking for years, the tenant only asked for a replacement glass sliding door to shower, when the repairman turned up with new glass shower screen door he reported that he was unable to instal it as shower was leaking so badly, walls were too damp for him to afix screen.

Water has travelled right up the walls and made the cement blocks crumble in places.

TENANTS!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

BUT THEY KEEP ME IN FOOD

Chris

Hi yo yo ma,

We have just had a handyman around last week which cost $175 to fix a number of issues:
  1. Window locks difficult to lock (I looked at these myself and found that they all lock with a with of jiggling around)
  2. Flywire on ensuite widow bent
  3. Wardrobe doors sticking (but they close OK)
    Loose light fitting

This week it's the TV antenna )probably got a new plasma and don't know how to tune it in?). Next week it will probably be a blown light globe.

Apart from the cost it's all the time it takes to organise the repairs that is the problem.

Cheers,

Bazza

Ha!

We got rid of her a few months ago from one of our Rocky houses and she said she was transfered down the coast.

Enjoy.

Dave

Very recently I found I had paid for the removal of a swarm of bees on the footpath OUTSIDE my rental property. The tenant phoned the PM who sent out the beecatcher - $150!!!

Another tenant constantly complained that the hot water was too hot. Originally PM sent out plumber who stated that HWS was too old to reduce the temperature and for the tenant to use more cold water.....within weeks the HWS gained a puncture in the tank :confused: and had to be replaced at a cost of $1200, so now tenant has tepid hot water without having to turn on the cold tap. No doubt next tenant will complain hot water not hot enough.

BUT on the other side, I have a house where the tenant never notifies the PM that there is a problem. The shower had been leaking for years, the tenant only asked for a replacement glass sliding door to shower, when the repairman turned up with new glass shower screen door he reported that he was unable to instal it as shower was leaking so badly, walls were too damp for him to afix screen.

Water has travelled right up the walls and made the cement blocks crumble in places.

TENANTS!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

BUT THEY KEEP ME IN FOOD

Chris

I am in the middle of a negotiation for a new contract for property management with one of my current PM's at the moment. I am changing a few things on their "standard" contract; more details as they arise. It is becoming interesting.

But one of the issues I am disputing is the amount of dollars I consent to for them to do repairs without getting my approval. On the contract they have inserted $300. I have crossed this out and put $100. they came back with an email this morning saying they want the $300. No way.

For exactly the reason that you have mentioned here.

I have no problem with tenants reporting repairs that need doing, but I won't be paying for frivolous, non essential stuff like that, which are not our resposibility.

Back