Please compare these 2 - display home quality vs quality given to me

HELP! Please COMPARE - Display home quality vs Quality given to me

Look at the difference!

What can I do? It is still in building progress, can I tell the builder?

The display home brick looks so high quaility, the given brick looks like low grade! Different colour(display orangy vs my pink rosy colour),

and not even grade (red outnumber odd blacks, and the bricklayer arranges the blacks next to each other making them look like defect spots).

When I get the bill for the brick, should I pay the builder???? What happens if i dispute the quality of brick?

Pic 1 - my house (now still building stage)
Pic 2 - display comparison
Pic 3 - display home

Attachments

• IMG_4193markup[2]small.jpg
    IMG_4193markup[2]small.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 893
  • Picture2 001displaysmall.jpg
    Picture2 001displaysmall.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 791
  • Picture2 003small.jpg
    Picture2 003small.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 644
Last edited:
Early and often!

Freeze all payments and call an emergency meeting. If you let it slide until completion then it will never get resolved. This is a major issue and you're in really bad shape already unfortunately. The cost of rework is going to be significant. You didn't spot the wrong bricks having been delivered before they were erected? Now it is so much harder for them to redo. In fact, they'll probably play hardball and refuse the rework arguing contractual compliance somehow and force it to court for a decision. This shows the importance of a project manager to oversee all site works, project build or not. Surely the schedule of finishes specified the exact bricks to be used and the supplier. If these schedules are ambiguous in any way then you're in real trouble.

What a disaster! Ah well, if it all fails then you can always render it and give it a nice lick of paint. Sorry I can't offer any really constructive advice, but this looks like a big problem to me.

Hang on, are you sure that section isn't the bit that does end up getting rendered? If so, then its perfectly acceptable to use any mortar and brick combination. There is a section in the project display home which has a rendered finish with three vertically oriented windows on the far side of the entry??

Cheers,
Michael.

so you agree its SH*T too??

For mine i think the part with the 3 slit windows is facebrick, while the middle part is rendered.

Do u think I have a case?

Last edited:
I'm sure your builder would have told you about the difference in colour between different brick batches. So if the colour difference between yours and the display is close enough for them then I'd dare say nothing will be done.
The 'quality' of the bricks does come down to the type of brick but if its the same brick as the display the the 'quality' should be the same.

The brick 'lintel' above the window might be an oversight or it might be an extra, Its amazing how many things on those display home are extras, even when you ask for a list of extras on a particular display home you'll only be told about half of them. The other half you'll find out during construction.

Only advice I can give is speak to your site supervisor and your construction co-ordinator and see what happens.

Also the brick will clean up and look much better when the clean them. The difference in colour might just be mud/mortor around the place.

It look to be a Porter Douglas/Eden Brae house? If so they are pretty good if anything does go wrong

It looks like a PGH Danthonia brick, a very common brick now'a'days and shouldnt have too much variation.

no, the windowtop brick detail is not an extra (No selection for it).

I actually paid $1000 to upgrade from the standard facade to this display home facade style.

Softmonkey,

yes i was thinking along that line too......

I wrote an official letter to the Builder's manager by email, and he replied that he will investigate.

thanks.

You need to negotiate hard with your builder, and now!

First I'd speak with your solicitor to get some sound legal advice as it sounds like breach of contract if they've used the wrong bricks. It will just let your builder know that you've got some options and can make his life difficult.

However, you want to sit down and negotiate a workable solution with your builder as legal action will be costly and time consuming and could sink you and the project even though you may be in the right.

See what he offers first, but I think the render option is the best way to solve the problem. It's just a matter of determining how much your builder will pay.

Fin.

The builder just replied my email. He said he spoke to the site foreman, and he has agreed to replace some of the odd black bricks (as i circled in blue).

He is courteous and polite, and confirmed its the same brick as the display home saying

1. may be just different batch causing different colour (should i accept this reason? I mean the brick looks like 2 different type/brand/quality altogether! He also said he has contacted Austral the brick supplier regarding this - dunno what can come out of that)

2. my facade hasn't been cleaned yet
3. the display home was built 3 years ago and may have dust (?)

I have told him to do whatever is needed to get the facade in good quality similar to the display home. If after they replace the black bricks and the facade still looks funny after they spray clean it, then its "chinatown"!

I will see what he says about the missing window top brick detail.

Could it be that the facade currently looks messy because they haven't cleaned it, so its looking messy because of the mud, and mortar?

If you are not happy with the brick colour, I would negotiate rendering as a best outcome for you...
If that happens there may be grounds for rebate.

Rodimus paid a higher price for bricks which were to be on display.

If bricks were to to be rendered Rodimus would have bought a cheaper brick. Seconds even.

That's pretty disappointing. I agree that the bricks they've used on your home look nothing like the bricks on the display. It's possible it's due to the differing sunlight, or needing them to be washed, but I'm a bit skeptical. The missing lintel detail is an objective fact, which surely they should have to rectify (if possible).

Out of curiosity - not because I'm suggesting it's your fault - what was the time elapsed between your visits to the site to monitor progress? Like Michael I'm wondering how you didn't notice when the bricks were delivered, so I'm wondering if perhaps this all happened very quickly... (which normally we'd be delighted about!)

Rodimus,

i think they are completely different bricks, check with the brick manufacturer,

shame about the mortar, its quite different eh

yeah the lintel detail is different and the display home looks far better,

i just think your a victim of the builder, i would imagine you will find it very difficult to get them to do anything to change,

it would be a shame to render your facade given the display home brick looks great.

you need to check your contract, i think you'll find you have no leg to stand on, builders have been getting away with this for along time.

i think you should complain more and state your not happy, especially if you paid for display home facade.

its unfortunate, but your gonna have a hard time of it i reckon, there's no way they are gonna knock it all and rebuild with the correct colour bricks.

really? I didnt notice that. Do u think that I should be getting an additional course? I hope there was no dimension on the contract drawing that sets the height of the gutter.

But I still want that window head brick detail.

The windows are a different height too, so I wonder if the display home had the optional taller ceiling and you didn't take up that option ?

Tools

really? I didnt notice that. Do u think that I should be getting an additional course? I hope there was no dimension on the contract drawing that sets the height of the gutter.

But I still want that window head brick detail.
Did you not previously have "architect" in your header? Methinks that you're not an architect. ;) Was that a "George Costanza" moment??? :D If so, perhaps now it should say "marine biologist". ;)

yup im an architect and work mainly in the commercial sector , mainly do bigger industrial warehouses, commercial offices with glass and concrete panel facade these days. I have done several house designs usually up to Town Planning Stage and design development as clients like my design, then they subcontract it out to drafties at a cheaper rate to do the working drawings, and usually my client takes over the tender and management with the Builder to save cost.

What I'm asking in this thread is not an architectural question, but more of a contract dispute question and getting your opinions on my chances of debating and win with the Builder of a Display Home. I didnt measure the display home, nor do I have a working set of drawings to compare measurements to. Plus the Display home is not the same home I am building, I am building a smaller home, but trying to adopt the same facade style as that display home (as you can see the photo is mirror image, so only this part of the house is similar, the other side is a variation of the display facade. So we are not comparing apples to apples here.)

When I first told him it looks crap, he said he thinks it looks good, which means I was "picky"! After I posted here, after getting all your replies how bad it REALLY looked, I told him that it wasn't just me, but EVERYONE who looked at it thinks the same. Then he started to investigate it with his foreman.

As I'm not a builder, and certainly have never built a home based on "display home", so I don't know how close the builder is supposed to follow the Display home design up to every detail. How much room is there to judge the style, the design, the look? Hence the purpose of this thread and good to hear all your suggestions that I can push the Builder to match the display. We all know the Display home is a higher standard and pricier home with extras, therefore there could be room for the builder to go "Well this is a $xxxk display home. Yours is a different floor plan and smaller home trying to adopt this similar facade, of course it's going to be different etc".

If it were my design, I would have made sure the drawings are properly done, with all dimensions(measurements) shown and details. I would never go into a contract unless it was properly documented. But in this case for building a "Builder's Home", they said its standard practise to sign based on that drawings as "every customer is doing it", and I was rushed to sign the building contract by the Lender to get the loan approved as it was time to settle the land.

I have read the contract, but it has no clauses whatsoever about using the display home as a standard. It only says Facade: x style facade (that particular house X's facade, but mine is a different house trying to adopt that facade). But now, thinking back what constitutes that style? Is there a drawing somewhere saying "This is Style X Facade", as a standard? There are many variations to a style.That's my main worry. Therefore I need to see if anyone here has dealt with small home builders, and how close they are supposed to match displays usually? There are quite many things left open here with their standard contracts and specifications.

I did actually added a few clauses in the specification saying "interior finishes to match display home". For the facade, I assumed when they say ABC facade style, means you will get all the similar details with very little variations.

Eg for the windowhead, the Builder could argue that the elevation drawings shows x height to gutter, therefore comparing it to the display is irrelevant, since I signed the elevation drawing. Also bear in mind their contractual drawings are pretty simple, as they are done by drafties working for builders. So they never drew in the soldier bricks at the window head nor window sill, which were left open to debate.

My another architect friend designed a house once, with texture brick to the facade, the Builder completely screwed it. It came out looking really bad. He had a huge and long contractual dispute with the Builder, and in the end they had to render it and change the design. Eg the Builder blames inadequate notes in the documentation and blames the supplier, trying to drag it as long as they can.

That is what I don't want!
Well all we can do now is hope when they wash the facade it looks ok!

Back