Please help...8 Weeks and Still Haven't Got New Tenant...Bulleen VIC

I'm definitely a sentimental fool when it comes to these things, my current PM is a nice guy. But we are talking about my money here so I've gotta do soemthing about it.

I am a softy and sometimes need a push. Need to stop losing sleep and money.

I have been making too many excuses for them. This Saturday is it.

Yup!

Cut your losses, let them know you've had enough; they've had property for 'x' amount of time & nothing, so you're taking it off them.

I'm pretty sure, (Russell will correct me if I'm wrong), you can just approach new agency & they do all the takeover stuff without you having to confront current agent (if confrontation's hard for you).QUOTE]

M&M

I Agree 15min of your time and you can have a new agent and you shouldn’t be out of pocket. and will not need to contact your current agent.

it’s a no brainer in your circumstances

I'm going to contact Fletchers (their ads look good) and Harcourts (their closeness to my property).

Wouldn't I be out of pocket for the advertising fees?

Wouldn't I be out of pocket for the advertising fees?

it depends I don’t know how it works in VIC but in QLD the agent cant charge you for advertizing unless you agree to pay or it on the PAMD 20a part 7.1.1Expenses. most agents will put (advertizing at costs) to cover themselves.

the only expenses the agent should has spent is on the feature property on realestate.com.au anywhere from $135 to $180

I would recommend giving it to the second agent and say first one to find me a tenant gets my management. unless you really want to dump your current agent?

Normally when this happens the first agent starts to really push to get a tenant(EG every time someone enquiries the agent gets in his car and shows the tenant the property) as they don’t want to lose the listing and will either find a tenant within the first 48 Hours Or the other agent will as he will be doing his job because he wants to impress you on how good they are. and wants to win the listing.

Noisuf

Let me start by saying I am also a nice guy so can I have $10k.

7 pages of people telling you this enquiry range won't work and the agency is crap. I wish you luck. Out of interest have you had someone test the waters for you and ring the agency and ask will they take 350pw and got a response

Jezza

Harcourts is merging with Philip Webb in the Bulleen area...got a good reference to rep at Noel Jones Kew. She's coming out tomorrow and gives me good professional vibes.

Thanks for pushing me to do this guys. The current PM has batted for me at VCAT without me lifting a finger the past year...felt a bit committed.

Also awaiting Fletcher's call back, we only got through half way of the conversation.

Thanks for pushing me to do this guys. The current PM has batted for me at VCAT without me lifting a finger the past year...felt a bit committed.

So they did their job and earned their commission last year... good for them! If you buy a product which is good, great. But if you buy it again a year later and turns out to be an inferior product, do you keep buying it out of loyalty? :confused:

rent ranges work in papers, not online.

dump the agent.

why were you haggling over $10 a week? sign them up for 6 months at a time and raise the rent and voila! $380 per week.

Thanks to all for your patience with me...and the prodding. I have definitely learnt some lessons in terms of property management........but also some lessons business...it is an investment afterall.

Hopefully have a good outcome to report soon!

rent ranges work in papers, not online.

dump the agent.

why were you haggling over $10 a week? sign them up for 6 months at a time and raise the rent and voila! $380 per week.

They had a dog which was a bit iffy for me...especially when two dogs during inspection turned out to be 1...just didn't feel right. Was open to six months.

Thanks to all for your patience with me...and the prodding. I have definitely learnt some lessons in terms of property management........but also some lessons business...it is an investment afterall.

Hopefully have a good outcome to report soon!

They had a dog which was a bit iffy for me...especially when two dogs during inspection turned out to be 1...just didn't feel right. Was open to six months.

Didn't the PM mention the 2 dogs?
How do you know the PM was telling the truth?
Pets are better than children.

They mentioned two dogs in their application....then when asked about it a bit more, the story then changed to one dog.

This is the last weekend I'm going to give my current PM a shot.

1) My gumtree people were one of the two groups that went through Thu 5:30pm. Said they would put in an app today but nothing came through.

2) Two sisters were the second party last night but didn't turn up...weird they even organised another meeting considering they said they had accepted another property...

3) A current client may want to downsize and liked it but haven't heard.

This weekend is the last straw...let's see what comes out of the open tomorrow. This Monday will be two weeks since the contract finished. I have my meeting with the new potential PM tomorrow who is a team lead at Noel Jones Kew.

Last edited:
Pets are better than children

Why pets should be allowed in houses

• You can now get a pet bond to cover any damage pets make
• Pet reference some pet owners will get a pet reference from there previse agent to help ease the mind of the landlord (your agent should check this)
• Pest control will need to be done once the tenant moves out (tenants Cost)
• Landlord insurance

As long as you have a good agent and the entry condition report was done and done well when the tenant moves in you should be protected

And a house that allow pets will rent a lot quicker and some times you can negotiate a higher rent.

if you can tick all the above boxes you shouldn’t have a problem with putting a pet in a house (apartment different story)

have been making too many excuses for them. This Saturday is it.

Oh and don't accept the 'it's election day' excuse that will inevitably be given if no results.

Voting takes 20-30 min max and otherwise people do all their normal Saturday activities, including house hunting.

I had a look at that ad on realestate.com and here's my 2 cents:

The covering picture does not do the interior of the property justice. I would be more inclined to put a picture of one of the bedrooms or the living area as the main picture as it looks more modern/less dated. This will invite more clicks from interested parties.

Is this property to be let furnished? The TV is tiny and to attract someone in that price range, especially the higher range I'd be inclined to remove the TV from the picture. Tenants want LCD's, the whole enchilada these days.

If it is to be let furnished then you are dramatically restricting your potential market. When I advertise stock that is furnished, I strongly encourage my Owners' to advertise it as furnished/unfurnished. This dramatically increases your potential market and then you can negotiate with the tenants regarding keeping the furniture there. In my experience, it doesn't make that dramatic a difference with respect to price. (Of course short term holiday lets are a whole other market and I would recommend stayz.com for this - I did this very sucessfully on a property that now yields $16k per year long term rental, I used to rent it short term for $26k per year but of course had electricity/cleaning and more changeover = more work)

This price range confuses me but then we don't try that strategy in WA and perhaps your potential pool of tenants are used to this.

After 15 days, if there's no interest I recommend my Owners drop their rent 10% (you read it right CORRECT, 10%...why??? Because let's talk $500.00 per week...after 15 days vacant your Landlord is down $1,000. Best practice offices in Australia recommend this strategy and they are in the top 10% profit yield in the industry. Get a tenant in and then you can do the rent review in 6 mths time. I see this happen all the time when Owners want too much...their property sits for 4...5...6 weeks+ and the additional $40-$50 per week they think they are getting is vaporised when you factor in the vacancy period.)

Is your agent asking potential tenants what they like/don't like about the property? This is a gold mine of information that I report back to Owners at each viewing. Bottom line is if it hasn't rented in a reasonable time frame, you'll have to review the price OR look at the glaringly obvious REASON why (brothel next door? under an airport flight grid??)

Why pets should be allowed in houses

• You can now get a pet bond to cover any damage pets make
• Pet reference some pet owners will get a pet reference from there previse agent to help ease the mind of the landlord (your agent should check this)
• Pest control will need to be done once the tenant moves out (tenants Cost)
• Landlord insurance

As long as you have a good agent and the entry condition report was done and done well when the tenant moves in you should be protected

And a house that allow pets will rent a lot quicker and some times you can negotiate a higher rent.

if you can tick all the above boxes you shouldn’t have a problem with putting a pet in a house (apartment different story)

I don't recommend that Landlords allow pets.

Why?

Landlord insurance DOES NOT cover the cost of damage caused by pets.

I have had 3 cases in the past 12 mths of pet urine in carpets. In one instance it was in every room. Our carpet contractor charges $330 per room to clean as he has to remove the carpet and clean the underlay. It is often better to replace the carpets.

With pets, our policy is STRICTLY outside but of course we can't police this in between inspections. And...believe it or not, pet urine smells often don't become apparent until ppl move out, the house is closed up and after the carpet cleaning has had a time to "wear off". I've been in houses with Landlords and we haven't smelt the pet smells until the tenant has vacated. One of the properties in question: the tenants were fantastic, they were clean reponsible pet owners...and then they vacated and we found pet urine in the master bedroom (new wool carpet installed by Owner 12 mths earlier). They lost their bond. Wasn't brought to our attention until the new tenants had moved in and been there a couple of weeks. Luckily bond wasn't closed off as we were still waiting on the final water consumption invoice.

Have also had the case of dogs chewing through reticulation.

If you have an older house and you aren't fussed about the carpets etc then okay...but remember, ultimately it is at the Landlord's risk.

Hi again noisuf,

We had a PM who failed to rent out our property in approx a month & a half.

We eventually found out that they were handing out the applications & having the prospective tenants take them away to fill them in & return them later. New PM got people to fill them in on the spot. We had someone in a week of new agency taking over.

Sometimes it is something rather small a PM is doing/not doing that can have a big impact on securing a tenant.

wishing you luck :)

Last edited:
I have had 3 cases in the past 12 mths of pet urine in carpets. In one instance it was in every room. Our carpet contractor charges $330 per room to clean as he has to remove the carpet and clean the underlay. It is often better to replace the carpets.

Did the carpets get cleaned when the tenants moved out?

or only when you found out there was a problem.

I have had cases where the carpet cleaner didn’t do his job and left water in the carpet and was blamed on pets.

Back