Poor V Rich mentality?

Ah yes, the Wisdom of Pooh:

“Don't underestimate the value of doing nothing".

Cheers,
Beef.
At the other extreme Jesse Livermore, accepted as the best ever share trader who made and lost fortunes, said that the ability to sit and do nothing was the most important lesson he learnt.

Across the broad spectrum of endeavour we are sucked into "doing something" when waiting for better info would have been more advisable.

Funnily enough there was a car accident outside my work today, silver van involved..

But now the important stuff!

What's wrong with Eeyore or Winnie..?

Although i do agree, i wasn't such a fan of Rabbit, but don't get me started on Winnie The Pooh, you've been advised, and Skater would agree! :D

PS If you can't tell i'm a child with an obsession to do with Winnie the Pooh...............Now i won't be taken seriously...

That's alright, we never took your seriously anyway :p :D

now I'm a much bigger fan of Rugrats then Pooh bear.

That's alright, we never took your seriously anyway :p :D

now I'm a much bigger fan of Rugrats then Pooh bear.

Thanks...I think...:p

Haha, my Dad used to love Rugrats, and he was what 35 at the time, that's worse than an 18 year old still in love with Pooh Bear me thinks..

Your right, when it rains. I'm referring to summertime. When you wash your car water gets into all the little nook and crannies. If you are washing your car once a week all those spots remain permanently wet, summer and winter. A sure opening for the rust that never sleeps. I don't wash the car therefore all those little hidden places remain dry until the next time it rains.

Just my theory, based on the rusted out sections of previously owned cars that I did wash too often and the rust free although slightly dull condition of the ones I don't wash now.

However this could also be due to the fact that modern cars don't seem to rust as easily as the good old sturdy sheet metal models. Anyway for me it's a good excuse not to waste time worshiping inanimate objects and giving me more time for productive pass-times..... like researching home brew techniques.

For the record, what detergent? A cup of kero in a bucket of warm water. The oil in the kero seeps into those previously mentioned nooks and crannies and helps prevents rust. Just another Beefy theory, probably wrong but it works for me.

Cheers,
Beef.

My father-in law aged 79 and lifelong mechanic and panelbeater always says the same re washing promotes rust. He until recently drove a unrusted Holden FJ Panel Van 1958 build - no bad there.

I had a 73 Datsun 180b I flogged from 19 to 21 years old with many minor bingles etc. It survived when i lived Outback NSW. When I moved to the Coast it fell apart with rust spots - humid air verus arid.

Peter

Maybe looking after tadpoles or plants is too simple and boring for her? Maybe she'd like some more challenging tasks, where she can show how intelligent she is? I dunno how old she is, but maybe stuff like painting, sculpting something out of clay, then baking and painting it, etc.
Over the last 8 years I've bought oodles of toys for her hoping that one day, she'll 'engage' with one and actually play with it. Barbies, stuffed toys, little plastic animals, a zillion and one games on the computer, lego, you name it. Until this year she spent most of her time sort of hovering just outside our study talking to us, or talking to the neighbour out the window, or talking to passers-by, or drawing the same picture over and over and over and over. While talking. Someone said they stop talking out loud when they are 4, but it never happened.

The stuff that actually engaged her were:

Anything you can make patterns with, her favourites being a set of coasters and a set of wooden blocks she made these insane symmetrical 'marble slides' with.
Cleaning the house and sorting and organising things we don't want her to.
Drawing the same picture over and over in Paint on the computer.
Then this year, we got a television and she decided that sitting in front of it watching The Simpsons is the best thing in the entire universe, and she doesn't hover around talking anymore. She sits in front of the television talking about it so loud we can hear her two rooms away.
And finally, a few months ago she realised that the 20 kilos of lego I bought her a few years ago is actually fun :eek: She stopped playing with the lego not long after she got it - when the instruction manuals it came with wore out. She only ever made the things in the manuals, never anything freeform.

My other kid will play with anything and everything and doesn't make patterns or hover around doing nothing, which is about when the penny dropped that there is probably something 'off' with the first kid. The first kid thinks it is really weird that the second one doesn't make patterns with things. Kid #2 is well over a year behind kid #1 in talking and pattern matching but we've since discovered that kid #2 is actually bog standard normal in all aspects (besides volume of hair and amount she sleeps) and kid #1 was wildly advanced at that age, and is now old enough to actually be having social issues as socially she really hasn't changed since she was a toddler. If I'd had another kid earlier instead of having a 7 year gap or I'd been a stay-at-home mum instead of working I probably would have spotted the differences between her and other kids years ago. But academically she's always been so far above all the other students noone has ever raised any issues about the social stuff.

The queue to get assessed for aspergers? 12-18 months ...

My father-in law aged 79 and lifelong mechanic and panelbeater always says the same re washing promotes rust. He until recently drove a unrusted Holden FJ Panel Van 1958 build - no bad there.

I had a 73 Datsun 180b I flogged from 19 to 21 years old with many minor bingles etc. It survived when i lived Outback NSW. When I moved to the Coast it fell apart with rust spots - humid air verus arid.

Peter

Old cars and damaged cars have rust promoted in them whenever any water is added. Be it washing, rain, humidity, moist seaside air, etc.

I'm guessing that FJ never felt the rain and was very carefully sponge bathed.

Old cars and damaged cars have rust promoted in them whenever any water is added. Be it washing, rain, humidity, moist seaside air, etc.

and when they salt the roads, which is why cars in europe dont last long. at modern day prices tho who cares, they are just consumer durables, like fridges and houses.

Ah yes, the Wisdom of Pooh:

“Don't underestimate the value of doing nothing".

Cheers,
Beef.

In context; "Don't underestimate the value of Doing Nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear, and not bothering."

A little peace and quiet, the opportunity to relax, is a beautiful thing from time to time.

:)

Actually no. Dad saw it a work car, not a very rare (being van) classic.

Dusty, full of crap, with the paint faded thin almost to metal. He drove it every day often pulling a trailer through real bush tracks gold hunting. At best, it was parked under a carport in its later life.

I laughed when a young hoon (always hoon:rolleyes:) hit it with modern car in a roundabout. It cut throught the modern car like a can opener, in exchange for a medium dent in the side fender.

Dad also loved the fact it legally had no seatbelts so he could "lecture" the poor copper who pulled him over every now and then.

Sadly, it was a 3 gear column shift that kept you fit changing the old mechanisim. When his arthritus got too bad he sold, site unseen, to a restorer for $10K.

I wanted it but I was not worthy. Strangly, he was happy to give me his only child but not the car!:D

Peter

10k for a true rust free van ?????
The "restorer" must have been out the driveway faster than the proverbial rainpipe rat. :eek:

Where are those deals when I'm looking?? :( sob sob...

Cheers,
Beef.

I agree but Dad was more interested in getting someone who he could be guaranteed would not chop it into a street rod than Money.

It was a beauty. Pale Blue and no modifcation other than rear windows cut inot the panel and small holes for blinker system he installed 20 years back (for safety!). All easily removed. He even chucked in spare parts (diff, etc..)for the $10k.

He also had a Morris 1100 Convertable he offered to my wife at 18, now 43. She turned her nose up at the Noddy car. Alas, another classic worth $$$.

My dream was : marry daughter, get money, buy banged up Ferrari, FIL restore Ferrari. Sadly his old age beat me. :(

Peter

PS dont get me even started on the old Nortons and BSA he use to restore for cash but never kept!

"The power of doing nothing" - someone great once said that all the worlds problems come down to mans inability to sit still.

I find doing nothing to be very efficient in many many ways.

(we put it in for a service and they washed it for us :) )

Ha, my mechanic does this too...love it! My car only gets washed when it goes in for servicing, bout every six months...(yeah, yeah, I know the wash is probably built into the cost of the service :) ) They vacuum it too...

I don't take the time to try and mentor the many homeless people i see, who are obviously more than able to work and make something of themselves, but... many can read and write english and have no apparent physical disabilities, so even if they are completely unskilled, they can still make something of themselves - call me greedy but mentoring them would be way too much of my time to give up for complete strangers.

Now I don't go online making fun of any of them, and i'm not trying to with this post btw, but i know that it's not impossible but very achievable for many fairly young homeless people to become what i'd class a successfull landlord, such as ~ $1m equity in a decade, and somewhere around $2-3m or more equity by the second decade. So allthough the Ferrari can't happen overnight for these guys, it can still definitely happen!

And yes of course, many homeless people are in that difficult of a situation, so what i'm suggesting here wouldn't apply, i'm just saying that not all poor people are there because they had no choice in the matter.

There is a homeless guy in rocky, he is one of the richest men in town lol but still sleeps on a park bench. Guess he is happy with other people living in his houses just food for thought...

There is a homeless guy in rocky, he is one of the richest men in town lol but still sleeps on a park bench. Guess he is happy with other people living in his houses just food for thought...

Technically, I'm homeless, although I don't sleep on a park bench. There's nothing wrong with it. It boosts my serviceability with the banks and makes all my debt fully tax deductable.
Works for me :)

Hey, I've seen this same guy in about 5 other cities.....

Amazing how he gets around.

After I paid my handyman yesterday he wrote out my invoice and we talked a bit about the deduction I could claim. He sounded like he knew a bit about tax so I asked him if he owned any properties. He laughed and said no. He told me he paid off his home. I said wow that is great, you would have a lot of equity to use to buy an ip. He giggled slightly and said "he is not a gambler"

There I was was thinking what a great position he is in but is too scared to invest. So much lazy equity just sitting there. Then later on he started talking about how he worked for real estate agents for 15 years repairing rentals. He probably thinks mosts tenants cause damage. That could be why is strongly against buying properties. Hmmmm maybe though he is into shares i dunno.

Back