Positive Real Estate - Mentoring Program

Positive Real Estate is franchising out Property Coaching. Just wanted to get some opinions on applying for one on the franchises. What should I be asking or looking out for ?

This message has been deleted by Sim. Reason: first post spruiking?

I would hazard a guess that at least half - if not all - of these newbie posters on this thread are spruikers from PRE, or one with a few different names. ;)

i am genuine

I just wanted to say my post is genuine. And would really appreciate answered to my question. Although i have read post in somersoft before never really felt the need to post, however this time really wanted to know the opinions of others. Never needed to register before as you can read the forum without registering.

Benefiting from a mentor is like benefiting from good advisors like accountants, lawyers, mortgage brokers, etc. You need a certain level of knowledge to ask the right questions. The fact that you are even asking this tells me you don't have enough knowledge to understand what you're looking for.

It's very hard to 'mentor' a total newbie, because there are too many things they don't know. They just suffer from information overload because they have no way to slot away the masses of information that a more experienced investor might tell them. It's like trying to catch water with a sieve.

My suggestion: go read a few books first. Learn the basics. Buy a cheap, straightforward IP and learn how it works in real life. THEN, you're in a better position to know who the 'right' mentor is for you. It doesn't have to be a program. It might just be posting and reading posts on forums like this, having regular chats / lunches with investors who are around the same level but with different skills / experience in other markets, or just above you. Finding a really experienced investor doing huge projects might not be right for you, since it's way above your understanding.

As mja said, the teacher appears when the student is ready. In this case, the teacher appears when the student recognises what they need to learn.

yest that is why I have decided myself to join this forum as my first step for success and getting to know how to buy IP in the first place.

One of the things that sets off my huckster radar, is a web site that makes absolutely zero mention of the people behind the company.

The motivation for this is often that the company directors have a shady past, or are keeping a low profile for when their dubious enterprise fails. Realize that the directors of this company have made a conscious decision to conceal their identity. It didn't happen by mistake.

I'd recommend steering clear of this group, unless you can find out who ALL the directors are, and why they choose to hide their names and faces.

Groups that operate similar to this, have in the past been behind two tiered marketing operations on the Gold and Sunny Coasts, and more recently in the Moreton Shire region of SE Qld. Right now they are loading 30k onto properties in the Murrumba Downs, Griffin, and North Lakes region.

And maybe I should change my name to Anthony Van Der Wielen.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but you see who's behind a website ie, the owner by going to whois.net.au or in Aus: http://whois.ausregistry.net.au

websiteinformer is also a good source of info

i.e. with the above there is links to Sourcefinance, Positive Real Estate, My Knowledge, My Home Search & Real Estate Investar

Though many information links may just be to the registered site developer

Positive Real Estate & Jason Whitton

For anyone considering dealing with Positive Real Estate or Jason Whitton, I would suggest doing some serious research. I would love to say more but I have been criticized and suspended in the past on this forum for warning people about the rogue spruikers, so I will say no more about that here.

From reading these forums it has become clear to me that there is a perception (especially amongst newbies) that they need a mentor or guru to show them what to do. As many have said before. Go and buy a few good books (not the ones written by spruikers) and teach yourself for a fraction of the cost that spruikers are charging for this information which they commonly and falsely claim are secrets! Don't get taken in by all the hype!

I've read quite a few books now, but I'm still not confident to make the next step. The concerns are - there are so many properties out there - how do you know if the one you select is better than one that's showing the same numbers, but in a different town? Yes, you could do research on 100+ towns but you could be doing research until all hours of the night and day... but when do you do all your other staff, kids, cooking, medical appointments, work, birthdays etc... there's just not enough time ... what do you sacrifice? - i think this is way some people just need some help otherwise it's always on the back burner....

I agree with an earlier PP, go to a few of the freebees that are on offer, there are often a number of them to choose from. Most will give just enough of the good stuff away, well enough to coat your hip pocket with wonderful promises. Sure there are some genuine get rich quick people, but they aren't about to tell you the ones that fell in a heap.... oh and there are plenty of them too ;)

seriously, this place is very informative with a wealth of knowledge of experience..... start reading!

I've read quite a few books now, but I'm still not confident to make the next step. The concerns are - there are so many properties out there - how do you know if the one you select is better than one that's showing the same numbers, but in a different town? Yes, you could do research on 100+ towns but you could be doing research until all hours of the night and day... but when do you do all your other staff, kids, cooking, medical appointments, work, birthdays etc... there's just not enough time ... what do you sacrifice? - i think this is way some people just need some help otherwise it's always on the back burner....

Reading a few books won't do it. Sure it takes time to research but if you need to reasearch 100+ towns you're doing something wrong. It's not about finding the best town in the world, it's about finding ONE that suits your needs. Set your goals and look for a few areas that will bring you closer to that goal.
What is your strategy and how much do you want to spend? That will narriow your search greatly.

Reading a few books won't do it. Sure it takes time to research but if you need to reasearch 100+ towns you're doing something wrong. It's not about finding the best town in the world, it's about finding ONE that suits your needs. Set your goals and look for a few areas that will bring you closer to that goal.
What is your strategy and how much do you want to spend? That will narriow your search greatly.

...and sometimes it's just the old Nike factor - Just do it.

As scary as that sounds to conservative financial planners - sometimes you just have to bite the bullet - and be able to come out the other side and say "Just did it"

The Y-man

I agree with the above, just do it. First thing you need to do is have a plan...

Do you want to buy and hold only, or do you want to renovate and sell, capital growth or positive cash flow.

After you know your strategy, set yourself some rules....
What is the min yield im looking for, how much am I will to spend, how much discount off the purchase price. Are you aiming at the low end of the market or upper end, who are your target tenants.

Have long term goals, with a series of short term goals and a plan of how you will achieve those long term goals. Review and edit your goals regulary.

After I read a number of books and went to a few teaser seminars, I had enough knowledge to make a start, doesnt matter where you start its where you end up that matters. Buying your first IP can be daunting, but the knowledge you will gain will give you confidence to get into the right mindset.

Back in NZ there are a few companies like postive real estate, stay away they prey on newbies, especially when they are selling property as well as mentoring. All the the info you will need are from the wise heads on this site.

All the best

Thanks for the comments everyone!!
I'm not a newbie, we have bought investment property before, but we're finding it hard to keep up with everything. We're wanting to balance out our negatively geared position with some cash flow positive property that has potential for capital growth -- I assume there's a few people on the forum searching for this. Any pointers ...? Some areas I've been reaearching are Ipswich, Newcaslte, Mackay, Gladstone, Maitland.... Am i looking in the right areas or am I way off?
I'm liking Perth, but too high a price tag and not enough yield. I've been looking at nras also. Does anyone know how the banks view these with regards to valuations down the track? As we would want to use the equity on these to purchase again. Thanks for your help!

Geez Billie, are you my hubby writing this post? Because your situation/dilema sounds exactly like mine right this moment. We have 3 IP, neg geared and have also come to a cross road like you. The other posters are right. Some times you just have to do it! My first suggestion to you (because this is what I am now concertrating on) is to look for cash flow properties that will balance your portfolio as far as cash is concerned. Dont worry too much about capital growth (although it would be good). Look at one state at a time and look for high yielding areas (find the info at the back of API mag). Have a look in to these areas and see if the sales prices match your buget. If they do, work out why these areas are high yielding and if the cause for high yields is one that is solid and long term (eg, could be mining, or university), then you are on your way. I agree, the research is long winded, but necessary. A mentor wont research for you. Alternatively, you could consider a buyers agent who would charge you for their time i(and fair enough too), if you are time poor. But dont be afraid to ask lots of questions. Good luck!

keep you $$ and put it towards your Foist IP

Ive been to those "Mentoring" meet and greets, and the information is fairly general, then the inevitable sales pitch starts, they wont tell you how much their program will cost your hip pocket but I would guess around the $10k mark, use your 10k as a deposit for your up and comming IP. If their sales pitch works, you loose your $ and then they move onto the next sap. Im new to this forum too, but if you are seeking a property mentor, I reckon you might just find one on here. There is someone around every corner looking to take your money, and promise financial freedom. Surround yourself with peer's that are making things happen, and ul get on the right track to freedom.

Yeah, I love going to seminars but its standard to have their sales pitch. I just walk out when they start but that's their business at the end of the day. Making a sales pitch is just part of it.

I am pretty sure there is another thread on this group.

My understanding is that they were charging something like $10,000 this is a number of years ago so I assume more now.

They secure properties for their clients and this is the killer they also receive a commission, double dipping:rolleyes:

The clients who pay for the mentoring program get first option at securing a property. One has to ask why on earth would you want to be mentored by this group when clearly there is a conflict of interest.

I am pretty sure there is another thread on this group.

My understanding is that they were charging something like $10,000 this is a number of years ago so I assume more now.

They secure properties for their clients and this is the killer they also receive a commission, double dipping:rolleyes:

The clients who pay for the mentoring program get first option at securing a property. One has to ask why on earth would you want to be mentored by this group when clearly there is a conflict of interest.

Well said!

Back