Possum

Hiya

Recently i have a possum who has made the tree in my front yard his night time home:eek:

Normally i would not mind but he has been leaving behind his poo pellets all over my yard and chewing off branches off the tree.

Is there anyway i can get rid of this possum?

tks!

Get a bigger possum to scare him away?

Convince him to jump on a plane to NZ, where you can legally have him killed?

Seriously though ... think yourself lucky he has made the tree his home and not the ceiling cavity directly above your bed, where he parties all night long.

Many councils supply "possum boxes" which you put in nearby trees to encourage possums to nest somewhere other than your roof.

Hiya

Recently i have a possum who has made the tree in my front yard his night time home:eek:

Normally i would not mind but he has been leaving behind his poo pellets all over my yard and chewing off branches off the tree.

tks!

No, unless you want him to die. And he is protected. The poo biodegrade and the tree will come back

Peter

Hiya

tks!

Chop the tree down :D. Seriously though, I love our possums and know I'll cop a pasting from some people, but these little possums need somewhere to live. They live in our roof and until we build them a possum box we'll leave them there. They might pee up there, but have been doing so for years and there is no smell and no evidence in the house.

Rats are a different matter altogether, and we have had our pestman place possum safe traps up there... and we are hoping we don't kill any possums. We have one tame one who pops in each night to see what our poodle has left in his food bowl and he picks up the dry food and eats it. He will let me within three feet and watches me while I watch him.

And possum poop is tiny. I'm sure it is not making too much difference to your life, is it?

I have an outside deck and the wood boards have a gap just slightly narrower than a possum poop... arghh what a nightmare!

Hiya

Welcome to my living hell!

Our resident possum seems to perfectly time his arrival each night. Just as our 3 month old has settled down for the evening - Mr Possum likes to jump onto our roof and entertain the entire street with his throaty combat cry.

Cheers

Jamie

Possum problem

Hiya Alan

Are you referring to this product?

https://www.strayban.com.au/

Seems quite exxy to get rid of a possum though? Any cheaper alternative? :p

Surely the country that invented the Hills Hoist and the Lawn Mowing machine and many other innovative inventions can come up with a clever, cheap, easy , Home made? :D solution to this age old problem ????

We had a massive, big brush tail in the roof, why, we have heritage house.

Anyhow Poss as we called him was like a pet, out at 8pm dark, in around 6.45am light. Anyhow, we renovated and made it too small for Poss. He moved on and a number of smaller fighting possums moved in. So we made it almost tight as a .... and guess what, no possums, but mice and rats.

Chickens love the drowned mice:cool:

Peter 14.7

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a possum. And two Jack Russells. Possum knows to not come down to JR level. In fact we don't have any issues with rats, mice, snakes and lizards any more, either. Hardly any bloody geckos any more, now that I think about it. Haven't seen a cockroach since the JRs moved in.

And people worry about cats!

Hey Virgo

Welcome to possum country !

We have Possie and Tossie in the trees in our backyard and they come out every time hubby cooks up a BBQ. Very bold and brazen and will stare even within couple of meters away. Occasionally will create a ruckus on the roof but otherwise no biggie, I think they're cute and we live and let live ...

And must share, we had friends and family visiting from Dubai last Christmas, after a super bbq, our visitors were just so enthralled to see Possie and Tossie who posed willingly for all their pics.

Hiya

tks!

I have a colleague who rescues possums...may be he could help?

Virgo, if the possum gets into the tree from the ground then put some of that firm flexible plastic around part of the trunk so they can't climb up it. If they are coming from another tree or powerline or phone line.... I can't help.... but I can tell you that I wish the one that lives behind my bath and has eaten a whole in my laundry wall and sleeps with his bum hanging out of the hole would go and live in a tree! :(

I would put a mountain lion up the tree and see who wins.

Of course that will mean next week there will be a new thread entitled "mountain lion" about the one in your tree and the poo pellets and the gnashing of jaws and how to get rid of it.

For which I would suggest a cougar. Or Skater.

we have same issue in our backyard....they are destroying our lemon tree before our eyes....fighting on our roof once a week in middle of night...

never had this issue....frm start of this year they decided to call our backyard home in night and slowly there are 5 of them now...they have ripped the shade cloth as well...no idea what can to do....

funny thing is i called council as i was not sure what to do..their first response was what you want us to do.....LOL......lady said get the possum trap but don't release them 50 meters away from where you find them....50 meters...r u kidding me....who gets lost in 50 meters....

we've tried different sprays to no success...I think i'll have to buy Ultrasonic Possum Deterrent...expensive but no other option...

I grew up in the hills area of Perth (Roleystone, basically) and we had all kinds of wildlife living in our ceiling cavity at different times.

The worst thing about possums was when they carked it in the ceiling - the smell was unbelievable! :eek:

A friend of mine purchased a property which happened to have 5 possums living in the roof. They were a nuisance, fighting, urinating on the light sockets (would drip down onto the globe) etc. He paid for a possum guy to come out, who 'possum proofed' the house and created a single exit for them. caught them all and released into the tree next to the house.

They didn't come back in (couldn't) and didn't stay in the tree. My guess is that they move into one of the neighbours roofs.

Only suggestion I can think of is to give the possum a better alternative for him to move onto..

Back