Predictions for AUD/USD exchange rate?

Currently 66.37 USD at 7pm Friday night

Im calling for it to get smashed overnight again and move to 62.5 by 8 am Saturday morning.

I have posted my estimate a number of times. 38 cents is probably where it will end up when the reserve reduces the rate to 2% sometime in 2010. The banks won't go that low your mortgage rate will be 4.75% -5%
Gee! that is a big call,
on the other hand at 38 cent Australian homes will be very cheap, even if house prices in US keep falling and Australian house prices will be steady. We would end up with the cheapest houses in the western world (without fallin 1$ in price). ;)

http://www.news.com.au/business/money/story/0,25479,24481708-14327,00.html

The government will:

- Guarantee all term wholesale funding by Australian banks operating in international credit markets. This means anyone lending money to an Australian bank has an absolute assurance their money is safe.

- Guarantee all deposits of any size in any financial institution for the next three years. The government originally proposed that be $20,000 or less.

- Direct the Australian Office of Financial Management to purchase an additional $4bn in residential mortgage backed securities.

AUD was saved and money will be pouring in. AUD is going up big time, back to parity. Back to 60 Eurocents and way beyond
Thank you Mr Rudd!

http://www.news.com.au/business/money/story/0,25479,24481708-14327,00.html

AUD was saved and money will be pouring in. AUD is going up big time, back to parity. Back to 60 Eurocents and way beyond
Thank you Mr Rudd!

yeah, you are right today got from 0.65 to 0.66 US$ and big jump against the NZ $ from 1.08 to 1.11 NZ$. But i guess it is all because the japanese market was closed, for sure once the European market open they will flog into the AU markets and banks :rolleyes:

You were right, I was wrong.

Long live inflation.

You're right about inflation (at leastin Australia).
The AUD might come back together with the euro. I got long on the Euro/USD at 1.3430 as it looks like there is a very likely possibility of head and shoulder upside down, also the DOW might bounce back tomorrow

You're right about inflation (at leastin Australia).
The AUD might come back together with the euro. I got long on the Euro/USD at 1.3430 as it looks like there is a very likely possibility of head and shoulder upside down, also the DOW might bounce back tomorrow

Right now AUD/USD has paused at the same point as it did Oct 08 (~65.5c)... So this could be the start of the 2nd shoulder here too.

Anyway as mentioned earlier, I'm going to keep going long in tiny amounts until we're back at 78 to 80-ish, which I think of as a 'normal' rate.

-Ian

Right now AUD/USD has paused at the same point as it did Oct 08 (~65.5c)... So this could be the start of the 2nd shoulder here too.

Anyway as mentioned earlier, I'm going to keep going long in tiny amounts until we're back at 78 to 80-ish, which I think of as a 'normal' rate.

-Ian

yes, you are right even if not as clear as it is on the euro.
With commodities prices going to the floor I rather bet on the Euro, after all commodirties went up 400% in the last decade, do you really think that that bubble will get away with a 50% drop? no overshooting on that?
Also in Euroland I can't see any major bubble (like private debt, home prices, trade deficit, budget deficit, unemployment,...), at most some minor bubble in defined areas. Even banks I think they are ok, very diversified and with a better rate of deposit/loans, their trouble is they've been investing in US and out of Euroland.

yes, you are right even if not as clear as it is on the euro.
With commodities prices going to the floor I rather bet on the Euro, after all commodirties went up 400% in the last decade, do you really think that that bubble will get away with a 50% drop? no overshooting on that?

No idea boz. To be honest I employ technical analysis 99% of the time, I don't take that much notice of the news, etc. when it comes to trading.

No idea boz. To be honest I employ technical analysis 99% of the time, I don't take that much notice of the news, etc. when it comes to trading.

seems the head and shoulder on the euro didn't workout and the euro is under 1.34$, are you still holding the long on the AU$? I don't look at the technical as much as on the fundamental and outlook.

seems the head and shoulder on the euro didn't workout and the euro is under 1.34$, are you still holding the long on the AU$? I don't look at the technical as much as on the fundamental and outlook.

I am holding it, but it's a very small amount of my overall balance, hence I can withstand rates as low as 35c and keep holding it. I'm looking at the price now thinking it's cheap anyway so I'll happily hold it for a year or more until it goes back to 78-80. Even on such a small trade, and even if it takes a whole year, that will increase my balance by quite a bit more than 5% and I'm happy if I just beat the banks.

p.s. I'm using oanda.com, so any idle capital automatically earns the RBA cash rate anyway (paid daily).

Expectation now is that over the next few days it could very well drop to 62c...

audusd_20081022_1540.gif

Seems tHis is going to be a rough night on the exchange rate:
The AU$ has already be bouncing from 0.67 to 0.66 then back to 0.67 now is around 0.65 US$.
The Euro is not much better and bouncing up and down from 1.27 to 1.285 a couple of times and now is back to 1.275.
And I thought was a bit boring this week, the action is back! :cool:

It might take a year but the US$ will come back down to earth when the hedge fund de-leveraging is finished.

Having said that, I am not about to predict what the dollar will fall against! Our Pacific Peso will stay in the cellar with it if the resource boom really is over. Otherwise A$ and the Loonie will rise.

Back