Predictions for AUD/USD exchange rate?

When you think about it, it's odd that Japan has merely printed ship-loads of Yen and leant it to dubious characters at 0.25% instead of buying assets in their own right, which China is trying to do.

This intreagues me. FX trading is, by definition, the ultimate short-term trade. Only guys who trade over borders buy FX for the medium term.

You're right. Short-term like 12-24 months. As distinct from long-term property investing (12-24 years).

If you look at AUD/USD vs AUD/JPY vs AUD/NZD they all have similar patterns. That to me says what's happening is a drop in the Aussie dollar, not necessarily a rise in the US dollar. Maybe it's delusional to think it will strengthen again but hey, I'm not betting money I can't afford to lose, and I'm certainly not giving advice :eek:

Patosan, do you think Japanese have become more conservative in their approach to saving because of the bubble, they have been living the repocussions for a long time now.
What is your view on the 'mini bubbles' that Japan experiences, ie. where people with cash fuel different areas of the economy.

the up down lines is the world fighting for food , the blue ones are the missiles from the US, and the other colors are the retaliation strikes from the european unions, the red being russia and the yellow obviously china. this happens when every one see's every one elses bottom.

Have you checked how the Korean won has being doing lately?
things in Korea are worst then Australia, for sure they are not buying AU$ (none does lately, except perhaps the RBA)

I dont think it really matters. The chaebols have pockets almost as deep as the petro sheikhs - but they need our coal and the sheikhs dont.

Mr Fish: I never said neither was a good thing, it was more an observation. I feel queasy about selling our coal mines to foreigners but seeing as we are more than happy to sell BHPB shares to foreigners I can't really see the difference.

And (apart from super which I ignore like the rest of the population) the only non-cash investments I hold are direct property.

Patosan, do you think Japanese have become more conservative in their approach to saving because of the bubble, they have been living the repocussions for a long time now.
What is your view on the 'mini bubbles' that Japan experiences, ie. where people with cash fuel different areas of the economy.

The Japanese are so friggin conservative in their approach to business that its impossible to get them to make a decision because everyone is horrified at the thought that someone might think that THEY had actually made a DECISION and quite possibly there was a chance that that DECISION might be WRONG and then they would have to go commit corporate hari-kari and go get one of the make-believe jobs they reserve for the unemployable like standing at a hotel doorway counting the number of people that walk in and out when in fact making any DECISION at all is probably the RIGHT thing to do because the only WRONG DECISION is doing NOTHING but doing NOTHING is by far the preferred option when faced by a DECISION for 97% of all Japanese businessmen.

And thats what I think of Japanese business practices.

Back