Purchase Mothers Unit

Hi all, hope this is the correct forum for this Q. I am looking for a strategy to buy my mothers home without affecting her pension but release the capital to her.

I want to purchase the unit, she wants to sell it to me :) I thought to put it into a HDT. She needs to remain living in the unit and is happy for me to "buy it from her and just make payments on a monthly basis" I guess it is like vendor finance.

I don't want to charge her rent while I am getting this interest free deal, and want her to continue living in the unit for as long as she wants.

So does anyone have any suggestions on how to structure this purchase to ensure no impact on her, try and ensure that I can still get deductions for any future costs, ie rates (council/water), maintenance etc.

thanks

Norman

I’m no expert on Lease Option but one thing you may not have considered and worth doing so is, if your Mum is on a pension, as a tenant she will receive around $70 (I think) fortnight rent assistance, if she is paying say $100 a week rent. Getting 1 third for free is not too bad a deal. Must have formal rental agreement.

Peter 147.

However I think there is a limit of how much cash she can have in the bank (if sells it to you). Also interest she earns (or notionally earned) reduces her pension after a certain level. She also cannot gift large sums of money to you. Also I guess she cannot transfer the property now to a trust (I bet there are rules about that otherwise everyone would do it). Depending on the value what about she sell it to your HDT for a cheap but "reasonable" price, she also buys a new car and lets you use it (even park it in your driveway), she pays rent to the HDT at reasonable market value. Anyway distribute the money as much as possible around to avoid the income and asset limits. ( Remember you can always give some cash to her each month to help your monther with costs....nothing wrong with a good son helping his monther).

All in all however it is better to earn $1 than not, even as a pensioner. I reality (if I was in Australia) I would pay 47%tax on every $1 I earn after a certain amount, in effect pensioners pay 50cents (as a deduction to the pension) for every $1 earnt pass a set amount. Avoiding earning an extra $1 is just .50cents you dont get to keep.

Do you have brothers and sisters...are they "OK" with it? I could imagine such things could create problems.

Hi Norm

A situation such as this is really worth spending a couple of hundred dollars on to get expert advice from a financial planner.

You are sure to have some experienced financial planners in your local neighbourhood, check the yellow pages. Also, the major banks offer financial planning services at a modest cost. A qualified financial planner knows the Centrelink rules and can help you and your mother organise things properly.

Having said that, there a number of issues here which are the framework of the deal.

1. Your mother's pension. Assuming she owns the property outright, she is living 'rent free' and would probably be eligible for the pension and the associated benefits such as municipal rates concession, insurance concession etc.

2. Her pension will be affected not by converting the capital from property to cash, but from the income derived from either.

3. So, if she sells the property for market value to you, it is not the payment of capital installments but the payment of interest which would affect her pension. She would also need to declare the interest as income and that means tax returns. The interest income would also affect her pension on a pro rata basis.

4. The 'Deeming' rules apply. If the capital is in a non-interest bearing account, the account is still 'deemed' to earn x% interest, and her pension will be affected accordingly. So, too, with the sale of capital assets. Even if you don't pay interest on the outstanding balance, it will be 'deemed' that you do. You will have to declare the deemed amount in yur tax return and so will she.

5. Income thresholds. These are very generous - up to about $26,000 from memory, before a person's aged pension is affected.

6. If you are thinking about buying the property from her, and paying her the capital in installments, plus deeming interest, and in return she pays you rent so she can claim the rent assistance subsidy, ??? This sounds somewhat fraudulent to me. I repeat, seek expert advice.

7. Your situation: all tax and other govt departments work on the basis of 'market value'. This includes sale and purchase of assets, interest paid or received on amounts outstanding, and rent paid or received on property. Even if you don't charge her rent, it will be deemed that you do.

8. Stamp duties and Capital Gains. There is no 'natural love and affection' between parents and children regarding stamp duty exemptions. This will cost you money. If the property is your mother's principal place of residence, then capital gains will not be assessed for tax purposes for her.

9. Why do you want to do this? If this is for 'estate planning', or if you think she will be requiring nursing home accommodation in the forseeable future and she is wanting to dispose of her assets now, consult with a planner.

10. There are 'gifting' regulations, you should check these out.

11. Attitude of the government: You may be a loving son but your mother is legally vulnerable at your hands. You would have to demonstrate her security and welfare is uppermost in this transaction. Do everything with paid professional people and have everything well documented. The courts are very wary of elderly people being coerced by relatives who stand to benefit from the disenfranchisement of their elderly relative.

12. Good luck. Once you consider all courses of action and the ramifications of those actions you will both know where you stand.

Finally, Norm, many of us in the 'sandwich' generation now face having parents who will be elderly for 30 years or more. Some will be hale & hearty, others not so lucky. It is difficult and a highly emotive decision to make when one's parents are involved. I hope you are advised and informed well enough to know which will be the right decision for your Mother and for yourself.

Regards

Kristine

PS

Your Solicitor will be able to oganise a 'life interest' for her if she does decide to sell to you.

A couple of years ago the Agency I was with was called to list a property. The elderly occupant had just passed away and the relatives were eager to list and sell the property as soon as possible.

All went well, until their Solicitor contacted us to say the old lady did not, in fact, own the property, although she had lived there fifty years, her name was on the rates notice, and everybody thought it was hers.

Apparently, when her husband had died, he had left the property to a child from a previous marriage, but had left her a 'life interest' in the property. The owner of the property could not usurp this legacy just as she could not sell, mortgage or otherwise deal with the property. The property, though, was not in very good repair. She had no money or real authority to do repairs, just as a tenant generally doesn't, and the inheriting owner had no intention (or capacity) to repair or modernise, either. And of course, she couldn't afford to move to live elsewhere, so it was a bit of a Catch 22 situation.

The Law has a structure for everything. The knack is in finding the right structure for you.

I suppose also you need to consider that a 95 year old could have 75 year old children and 50 year old grandchildren!

My mother is still going strong at 70, in 20 years she will be 90, some of my mothers grandchildren will be in their 50's.

(Note to myself, dont be a pensioner, make sure I have a good plan before I get too old, make sure if I live to be 90 that I someone smart is managing my assets!)

Would it be possible buy the property off your mum.

place the funds in offset account (yours).

your mum stays in unit with free rent for life although it would have to go through the books as rent coming in at fair market value.

no effect on pension if purchase amount is around the 200k mark(check with centrelink)

you would obviously pay all outgoings as its your rental property(saving mum some money there)

and if you really put that money to good use(mums money) maybe you could also pay the other utilities for her.

it could definately be a win/win situation for you both.

Any sisters or brothers to get this past though?

Hi everyone,
1, thanks for all the thoughts and am still open to further discussion.

Yes I have 3 sisters and they are all OK with it, the reason for this is Mum owns the property outright, she wants to free up her assetts now and had considered the reverse mortgage options that some banks are promoting. I would rather purchase the unit than give it to a bank.

I want to set it up so she gets some extra income per month and in return I get the Unit when she does pass on. Mum is currently 71, not 100% and wants to travel to England for several months to see her relatives and brothers, sisters for possibly the last time. She also wants to have more than the pension to live on as rates are getting higher with the latest property valuations it is getting more expensive to hold.

The whole family are happy for me to do this, the stand is "Mum has the money now to enjoy rather than die with assetts for us"

regards

Norman

Originally posted by NormH
The whole family are happy for me to do this, the stand is "Mum has the money now to enjoy rather than die with assetts for us"

Mental note for oneself:

At next family meeting, pass a resolution that ""Mum has the money now to enjoy rather than die with assetts for us".

Although, in my case, it should read "Dad has the money NOW to enjoy rather than die with assetts for us". :D :D

Hi Norm.

As regards Centrelink, if your mum sells her home, she becomes a non- home owner, and the asset test kicks in at $257,500 until $410,400 when no pension payable. ($149,500 to $302,500 for home owner). Assets will include the money she receives from you for sale of property, so if the sale price is say $300K, she will exceed the asset test first threshold and pension will reduce.

Single pensioner can earn (actual or deemed) $120 per fortnight before pension begins reducing, up to $1266.50 pfn when no pension payable.
Both income and assets test are calculated, and the test that gives the least pension, is the one used.

Deemed income calculation for single person is 2.5% on the first $35,600, and 4.0% on surplus.
eg if mums receives $200K for home, $35,600 @ 2.5% = $890, $164,400 @ 4%= $6576= $7466 pa or $287.15 per fortnight. This is more than $120 pfn threshold, so pension is reduced.

I recommend you see a financial planner who knows his Centrelink stuff (like me)- also Solicitor.

If you want to email me some figures, I'm happy to do some calculations for you, (but not advice).

GarryK

G'Day Norm,

Maybe one avenue to consider would be for you to buy the property from her and grant her a "Life Estate"

In such a situation, the unit is yours but while she is alive she has the right to exclusive occupation of it and even if she were to move out, it is still at her discretion what she does with it.
In other words the "Life Estate" only ceases when she passes away.

Buying a property with the existance of a "Life Estate" granted over it would naturally effect the purchase price of the property as the purchaser doesn't have any idea when they are likely to get actual occupation of the property.

See a solicitor that is versed in these issues if you do contemplate to travel down this path or maybe one of our esteemed legal eagles on here can better explain how this works.

regards

Hi Norm,
Rather than a reverse mortgage, why don't you set up an equity loan on her property. She will not be selling the property and shouldn't lose the pension.
You could support her and pay the loan interest with the money from the equity loan. This would not be a gift to you but a loan - which you would use to help her.
I wonder if this would work?
Or what about purchasing a cashbond with her equity?
Cheers,
Crystal

Everyone hi,
thankyou for your thoughts and offers of further assistance on this.

I will take your suggestions/thoughts onboard, I will talk to my accountant about this when we meet early Feb to do my tax, will speak to my lawyer also re his thoughts after some further input from Garry who I emailed further details to earlier.

I will try and remember to update this thread sometime mid/late Feb as to what path I am taking. Hopefully with some sort of rational explanation of why.

regards

Norman

Norman,

Apart from all that good info above, here more.

I would like to make mention of recent seminar (put on by Centrelink) that I attended and found it useful to know about them and am happy to see that the various gov depts fund this group. (i.e. not some private company trying to make money etc)

National Information Centre on Retirement Investments - here the link to their website.

http://www.nicri.org.au/

NICRI also operates a freecall telephone 1800 020 110

Danny D.

Correction re above.

Here's how NICRI is funded.

Danny D.

The National Information Centre on Retirement
Investments Inc (NICRI) is a free, independent, confidential service that aims to improve the quality of investment information provided to individuals who are investing for retirement or facing redundancy. NICRI works at arms length from both government and the finance industry to provide a completely unbiased source of information to the public. Funding for this consumer service is provided by the Department of Family & Community Services.

Back