Qantas Grounded?

Qantas management want to compete in an industry where its customers are expecting to pay low(ish) fares.

Qantas staff don't want to work for the low pay and conditions required, which would allow Qantas to compete.

Qantas staff don't want to work for the low pay and conditions required, which would allow Qantas to compete.

Low pay? Is it low? I've heard that the pay rates are massive. But I suppose I'm from the bush?

Don't engineers get 180k? What are pilots on? It would be many 100s of k's right?

It's a mess. Looks like all we can do competitively in this country is export commodities.

See ya's.

Well , I for one admire Alan Joyce to have the balls to stand up to these unions . Man , the pressure on him must be unreal .

Seems to me so many of our employees expect more and more money for less and less work and then they wonder why jobs are going overseas ???

How much would pilots and engineers earn working out of Asia ?

I'm very glad my flight to China on Monday was booked with Singapore Airlines and not Qantas.

As always, there are 2 sides to the argument. I think the unions need to consider their requests, because Qantas cant operate profitably with the current costs structures.

But I think this is going to backfire on Qantas. It seems very heavy handed, and also giving people so little notice was unfair on all their passengers. I've already seen a number of my friends on FB who are stuck, and all of them are blaming Qantas, and commenting on the executive pay packets, rather than blaming the unions. It also seems bizarre that Qantas had their AGM yesterday, and didnt raise it as an issue then...... can the situation really have changed so much since yesterday? Its going to be a significant hit to the bottom line.

I dont know who is in the right here...I'm sure both sides need to compromise. But considering how Qantas' image/ reputation has deteriorated over the past few years, I think they need to be careful not to tarnish that reputation any further. I certainly dont fly with them unless I absolutely have to. Their service is much worse than most of the Asian airlines and they are much more expensive. I think they lost touch with their passengers a very long time ago, and this certainly wont help.

This is very raw and close to home and at the moment I am busy watching it all unfold.

No, pilots do not earn stacks of money, I can tell you that much. :(

This is BIG and a very sad day in Australian aviation.

"The pilots' union says Qantas is "holding a knife to the nation's throat"

Beating the unions at their own game - Good on Alan Joyce. Great timing too with CHOGM delegations stranded in Perth.

Penny - the unions walked out of yesterday's meeting saying they were going to have 2 and 3 day strikes - they forced this action.

This is very raw and close to home and at the moment I am busy watching it all unfold.

No, pilots do not earn stacks of money, I can tell you that much. :(

This is BIG and a very sad day in Australian aviation.

Would be interested to know what pilots do earn. I know somebody who said going from co-pilot to first officer meant his pay doubled.

Sorry Nemo,

I think its an absolute over reaction by Mr Joyce...unions throwing rocks and he fires back with an atomic bomb that wipes out everything (note: that might be a bit over the top:D).

Me thinks no one wins atm..do they still get paid..workers and Mr Joyce

Penny - the unions walked out of yesterday's meeting saying they were going to have 2 and 3 day strikes - they forced this action.

Yesterday's AGM? The one where Joyce awarded himself a 71% payrise and he basically said he would do what he wanted when he wanted, and to hell with Aussie workers?

Here's the quote from the SMH news website,

The Transport Workers Union (TWU), which represents Qantas ground crew workers, threatened more industrial action in the lead-up to the holiday season.

"Qantas is quite clear about escalating this industrial dispute and all forms of action, including one-hour stoppages, four-hour stoppages and the potential for 48-hour stoppages, are being contemplated as we speak," TWU national secretary Tony Sheldon said outside the meeting.

Thats the ground crew POTENTIALLY stopping for 48 hrs. Not the pilots, not the engineers. Yes, there would be delays but nothing like tonights madness. No, this isn't the unions doing this is 100% Qantas management.

Glad you're enjoying this Nemo. Not everyone is having such a great night.

Yesterday's AGM? The one where Joyce awarded himself a 71% payrise

This seems like a particularly silly PR move from Qantas' side... many people will see Joyce saying Qantas dont have profit to give workers a pay rise, but they have enough to give himself a huge increase.

even if its not true... this is the perception. I think the unions are now on the front foot, at least in the PR stakes.

"The pilots' union says Qantas is "holding a knife to the nation's throat"

Beating the unions at their own game - Good on Alan Joyce. Great timing too with CHOGM delegations stranded in Perth.

All this has done has further sullied the reputation of the airline. Alan Joyce has shown he isn't up to the job. People earning $5 mill a year should have better negotiating skills. Shutting down the airline is akin to throwing the toys out of the cot.

Do you think the Qantas passengers stranded all Over the world are saying 'well done Alan Joyce?' Or are thay saying, 'I'll never fly Qantas again'.

I know what I'd be saying.

The problem is unions want more pay for less work. Sure, so does everyone else - but that's not how capitalism works. Workers don't run the airline, they get a paycheck every fortnight, and that's it. If they keep striking, Qantas should fire them and replace them with non-unionised workers. Hopefully this turns into Patrick Stevedoring #2 - where is Chris Corrigan when you need him?

This is a big kick in the head for the unions. Now they will have to come to the table and negotiate in good faith instead of playing posturing and making threats (which includes threats of future industrial action without dates or details).

This will force the issue, and means that a resolution should now be very close. Personally I feel not an ounce of pity for the unions, it was their silliness that caused this in the first place.

At least it will all be over very soon, and everyone can go back to work and get on with their lives.

The problem is unions want more pay for less work.

Aaron, that's not right. Mainly they want to keep jobs in Australia. Qantas would love to outsource all sorts of jobs overseas, to save money. They are skirting the Qantas Act.

We have a friend who is a young pilot with Qantas. He doesn't earn big money, but Qantas want to cut his pay by almost half, and have him based in Asia somewhere. He has a wife, an 18 month old son and another due early next year.

And then he sees the CEO award himself a 71% pay rise, as the company's share price is going backwards. You can understand why the workers might be a bit upset.

Back