Racism in Australia

On the flip side. I feel quite intimidated when I go to some suburbs in Sydney where up to 90% of the people are immigrants or visitors from other countries. For example I was in Stratified recently one evening looking for a restaurant. There was many restaurants but not one we found was non Korean and just about every person we seen was Korean or Chinese, it was like all the Australians had left town. it was sad really.

Strathfield does have a higher Chinese population than Australian population by 9%. You might want to take a trip to the east like Bondi or Coogee. The British population is 6% higher than the Australian population. Sydney is notorious for segregation of communities, so yes its possible to feel overwhelmed by immigrants in certain areas, but its not going to be anything close to 90% immigrants :)

I know of Aussie-only bars in Thailand and the Phillipines. The locals don't seem to mind. And what of expatriate Aussie enclaves in London or HK? Doesn't seem to intimidate the locals. So why deny immigrants in Aust the same right to hang out with their own. The much-reviled Irish immigrants had their "ghettos" more than a century ago. The same with Italians and Greeks.
I travel a lot and I go to the Philippines regularly. I have never ever seen an Aussie only bar there where non Aussies where not allowed in or welcomed. In fact it's the opposite, I know of Aussie owned bars in Cebu and Koreans regularly came in, they were the minority in the rock bar but they were always made to feel welcome. Now on the other hand there are Korean ONLY bars in Mactan Cebu that are well known and unless your a Korean you are definitely not welcome or even allowed in. Anyway, why should we have this sort of thing going on in Australia, I don't see your point here?

So it's OK to tax immigrants but, at the same time, deny them a political voice. That's unfair and primitive. Just so you know, the father of Australia's constitution was an immigrant.....do you seriously believe he should have been denied political office?

I never said they should not be allowed to vote, of course they should but I do have a problem with them lining up for the dole as soon as they get their stamp or taking on Government jobs or running for Major. As I made it clear there should be a 10 year stand down for that.

Your views deviate from the norm.

You mean to say you are glad that the trains are running on time?

yeah I'm not a PC robot, I say what I want and I don't care if people don't like it, suck it up. Too many pussys molded to fit in with society these days sipping on their lattes and scared to say what they really think. So are you from Shanghai China?

I'm sorry I won't be calling you LORD or getting down on my hands and knees for you ;)

Strathfield does have a higher Chinese population than Australian population by 9%. You might want to take a trip to the east like Bondi or Coogee. The British population is 6% higher than the Australian population. Sydney is notorious for segregation of communities, so yes its possible to feel overwhelmed by immigrants in certain areas, but its not going to be anything close to 90% immigrants :)

I actually lived in Bondi for a few years, I never liked it really. it was too pretentious and stuck up as in if your not young (under 35) and cool people don't even look at you. On the other hand I liked Paddington, even if it had a lot more money, it was just nice and relaxed there.

Now on the other hand there are Korean ONLY bars in Mactan Cebu that are well known and unless your a Korean you are definitely not welcome or even allowed )

This is your second reference about Koreans. Do you have a problem with them? The ones I have met seem cultured, hard-working and loath to be on the dole.

I do have a problem with them lining up for the dole as soon as they get their stamp or taking on Government jobs or running for Major.

So lets tax them to the eyeballs but deny them government jobs or the right to run for public office? Is that what you are saying? Pauline would be proud of you.

yeah I'm not a PC robot, I say what I want and I don't care if people don't like it, suck it up. Too many pussys molded to fit in with society these days sipping on their lattes and scared to say what they really think. )

Classy words indeed. Like it or not, immigration is here to stay sweetie; what you have seen is just the start.

I note that on another thread you wanted the government to pay 50% of your costs to buy a piece of land. Hmmmm - that says rather a lot doesn't it?

I was in western Sydney once and I was verbally abused by a bogan girl and she even spat on me. All I wanted to do was get past her on the escalator. She told me to go back to my own country, I yelled out that I was born here you stupid bogan #### and she much have been so raciest that she even thinks normal aussies like me are from overseas. I know how it feels for some immigrants.

On the flip side. I feel quite intimidated when I go to some suburbs in Sydney where up to 90% of the people are immigrants or visitors from other countries. For example I was in Stratified recently one evening looking for a restaurant. There was many restaurants but not one we found was non Korean and just about every person we seen was Korean or Chinese, it was like all the Australians had left town. it was sad really.

I also think Australians are way too politically correct as they have let their country be taken over by immigrants. For example I went into the Centrelink office recently as I became unemployed and I needed to apply for Newstart until I could get employed again. Every Centrelink worker was ether an immigrant or was none white Australian. On top of that 90% of the people waiting in line to collect benefits looked like immigrants.

When my name was called out I was interviewed by a Chinese woman. it seemed really weird as she couldn't even speak or understand English very well and I had to keep repeating what I said. She was arrogant and unhelpful and went out of her way to make it hard for me. I'm sure when the many Chinese people waiting in line got to speak to her I'm sure she would have been much friendlier to them, that is the feeling I had.

I started looking for a job and I found one at a local Sydney restaurant. The head chef was from Vietnam, the other two workers in the kitchen were from China and the manager/floor manager was from Vietnam as well. I worked there a couple of days but not one person spoke to me or were friendly towards me, I tried to be friendly asking them how long they worked there etc and made small talk but each time they answers were simple and they had no interest in having a conversation with me. I was fired 2 days later as I was told I did not fit in and was good enough. The funny thing is the head chef had no clue how to even cook a steak for this "Aussie Pub Food Grill" in a local hotel. he did not even season the steak or let it rest. The only person that was friendly to me was the Aussie barman who had worked there for many years.

I find it strange how Australia has become overrun now by immigrants and I'm sure most of them think we are just a stupid country to let them take over out country. This is the result of a politically correct society that we have become. Fueled by TV programs like the Project and Studio 10 where people sit around complaining how PC this or that wasn't.

I use to travel to a lot of countries regularly and it would be unheard of to ever see a foreigner serving a local in a Government department, it would be unthinkable that foreigners would line up each week for a free pay check.

I'm glad to see the Government is making some changes but I think that immigrants should not be able to run for Mayor like we have in many Sydney suburbs like Stratified were certain groups are taking over these suburbs and we need a 10 year period before they can get in Government Jobs or receive benefits. Immigrants should be forced to live in places where they need new residents instead of them all immigrating to certain suburbs in Sydney.

Good Lord. I don't even know how or where to begin with this post.

Good Lord. I don't even know how or where to begin with this post.

This is the first time I have encountered anyone who has proposed that immigrants (I think she is referring to the ones who aren't lily white) be denied government jobs or the right to political representation. Even Pauline never went that far - to her credit she seemed to have a grudging respect for immigrants who worked, swore undying loyalty to the flag and abided by the law.

There's no such thing.

You ought to get out a bit more.

This is the first time I have encountered anyone who has proposed that immigrants (I think she is referring to the ones who aren't lily white) be denied government jobs or the right to political representation.

You ought to get out a bit more.

Now now, I'm sure our learned friend also feels both tony Abbott and Julia Gillard should ve been banned from running for office since they're both immigrants too

I feel quite intimidated when I go to some suburbs in Sydney where up to 90% of the people are immigrants or visitors from other countries. For example I was in Stratified recently one evening looking for a restaurant. There was many restaurants but not one we found was non Korean and just about every person we seen was Korean or Chinese, it was like all the Australians had left town.
I know of Aussie-only bars in Thailand and the Phillipines. The locals don't seem to mind. And what of expatriate Aussie enclaves in London or HK? Doesn't seem to intimidate the locals. So why deny immigrants in Aust the same right to hang out with their own. The much-reviled Irish immigrants had their "ghettos" more than a century ago. The same with Italians and Greeks.
I travel a lot and I go to the Philippines regularly. I have never ever seen an Aussie only bar there where non Aussies where not allowed in or welcomed.
I think we're getting a bit literal here. :) Nowhere does Lord Shanghai suggest that non-Aussies are prohibited, (s)he is making an analogy with other bars "whose clientele are predominantly from a particular foreign nation".

leann claims to be intimidated by the presence of establishments whose clientele is predominantly Chinese or Korean - ethnically; most of them are probably Aussie, so this "all Australians had left town" is nonsense, unless leann is bemoaning the absence of ATSI patrons :rolleyes: - and Lord Shanghai was simply pointing out that it's quite normal for ethnic groups to cluster - hence Earl's Court, Irish bars, German Clubs, Polish Clubs, expat populations, etc.

Let's not be distracted debating a strawman, i.e. whether there are bars in the Philippines which cater only to Aussies.

Australia -

1. More Countries, religions, ethnicities, races; represented here than you can poke a stick at.
2. Freedom of speech, religion and dress, etc.
3. The queue of asylum seekers and immigrants to get here is as far as the eye can see...

Close thread now.

Thanks.

Leanne, it sounds like you want to implement apartheid...

On a related note, I always find that the whole "But other countries are worse!" excuse a little unconvincing.

Yeah, other countries are worse when it comes to racism, and Australia is actually very liberal and open-minded. But that doesn't mean we should stop improving, or excuse racism.

Many other countries have death squads and concentration camps - by this logic, if the government started strip-searching random citizens or arresting people for criticising the PM, should we shrug and say "Hey, at least we're better than North Korea"?

I was in western Sydney once and I was verbally abused by a bogan girl and she even spat on me. All I wanted to do was get past her on the escalator. She told me to go back to my own country, I yelled out that I was born here you stupid bogan #### and she much have been so raciest that she even thinks normal aussies like me are from overseas. I know how it feels for some immigrants.

I also think Australians are way too politically correct as they have let their country be taken over by immigrants. For example I went into the Centrelink office recently as I became unemployed and I needed to apply for Newstart until I could get employed again. Every Centrelink worker was ether an immigrant or was none white Australian. On top of that 90% of the people waiting in line to collect benefits looked like immigrants.

When my name was called out I was interviewed by a Chinese woman. it seemed really weird as she couldn't even speak or understand English very well and I had to keep repeating what I said. She was arrogant and unhelpful and went out of her way to make it hard for me. I'm sure when the many Chinese people waiting in line got to speak to her I'm sure she would have been much friendlier to them, that is the feeling I had.

I started looking for a job and I found one at a local Sydney restaurant. The head chef was from Vietnam, the other two workers in the kitchen were from China and the manager/floor manager was from Vietnam as well. I worked there a couple of days but not one person spoke to me or were friendly towards me, I tried to be friendly asking them how long they worked there etc and made small talk but each time they answers were simple and they had no interest in having a conversation with me. I was fired 2 days later as I was told I did not fit in and was good enough. The funny thing is the head chef had no clue how to even cook a steak for this "Aussie Pub Food Grill" in a local hotel. he did not even season the steak or let it rest. The only person that was friendly to me was the Aussie barman who had worked there for many years.

I find it strange how Australia has become overrun now by immigrants and I'm sure most of them think we are just a stupid country to let them take over out country. This is the result of a politically correct society that we have become. Fueled by TV programs like the Project and Studio 10 where people sit around complaining how PC this or that wasn't.

I use to travel to a lot of countries regularly and it would be unheard of to ever see a foreigner serving a local in a Government department, it would be unthinkable that foreigners would line up each week for a free pay check.

I'm glad to see the Government is making some changes but I think that immigrants should not be able to run for Mayor like we have in many Sydney suburbs like Stratified were certain groups are taking over these suburbs and we need a 10 year period before they can get in Government Jobs or receive benefits. Immigrants should be forced to live in places where they need new residents instead of them all immigrating to certain suburbs in Sydney.

Sounds very taliban like views (unfortunately we're not in afghanistan).

you will probably scream knowing that one of australia's the largest gas and electricity suppliers is actually owned by an "asian" foreign company.

I think we're getting a bit literal here. :) Nowhere does Lord Shanghai suggest that non-Aussies are prohibited, (s)he is making an analogy with other bars "whose clientele are predominantly from a particular foreign nation".

leann claims to be intimidated by the presence of establishments whose clientele is predominantly Chinese or Korean - ethnically; most of them are probably Aussie, so this "all Australians had left town" is nonsense, unless leann is bemoaning the absence of ATSI patrons :rolleyes: - and Lord Shanghai was simply pointing out that it's quite normal for ethnic groups to cluster - hence Earl's Court, Irish bars, German Clubs, Polish Clubs, expat populations, etc.

Let's not be distracted debating a strawman, i.e. whether there are bars in the Philippines which cater only to Aussies.

Agreed. I have seen venues in S.Asia which are for Foreigners only. Not so much so to only one foreign nationality though. Can understand if the venue develops a reputation for a particular nationality

you will probably scream knowing that one of australia's the largest gas and electricity suppliers is actually owned by an "asian" foreign company.
Aaah! that must explain why when you phone the call centres at these places you always get someone you can barely understand? :D

:eek::rolleyes:

And, if I am not wrong, one of Australia's leading telecommunications service provider is also owned by an Asian company!

Racism is part of human nature. It has always been present in Australia and will continue to be very much of our society. We are no different to any other country in this regards. However, due to our laws and Judeo-Christian dominant origins and morals, racism is not seen as politically or socially correct -hence racism in Australia is far better disguised than in other countries.

I agree with this; it's in our nature and it's been here since the stone age. At the end of the day, we all have a bit of that racist view within us whether no matter which country you?re in and what colour you are. In Australia for example, racism is more visible in areas where it?s not as multicultural in my opinion. So let's say a green man walked down a suburb where it's purely just a white Australian neighbourhood, everyone will be looking, thinking and asking what???. If he walked down a suburb where there is a good percentage of these green people in the area for example, no one gives a shi# and its normal life.

I've always said to people, just because the suburb is good to others from what you have heard and the schools are good, will you fit into that neighbourhood? I would rather be the majority than the minority. I only say this because I am not a white Australian, and it's just more comfortable to be in an area where you see your own kind if that make sense. Some don't care about this and aren't observant about it all which is why they sometimes cop shi# on the street and don't even know why. In other words, some people aren't switched on to notice anything.

Racism is subject to the area and cannot be seen as a whole across the nation.

Is Australia Racist?

Overwhelmingly NO! We don't care where you come from, so long as you want to assimilate. We will let you keep your religion, dress how you want (OK within reason, you can't just walk naked down the street). You can open a Business, get a job, you can buy property & we will support you on welfare if you need it.

Are individuals racist?

Well, yes, of course. SOME people are racists.

But lets not stop at racism. Take a look around & you will see the same kind of nasty behaviour for anything that others perceive to be 'wrong' with an individual. You might be too fat, tall, short, disabled, red hair etc. Racism is just another tool for a bully to use. A chance to pick on someone 'different' or for some trait that the perpetrator dislikes.

However, in saying that, I do note that there is a growing unease (I read a lot of comments on Facebook from people who have never shown this trait before) with Muslim people. I think if you ARE Muslim, then you may get more racist comments than you would normally get, simply because people see that there is a threat, and that is due to current world events, and the fact that a minority of extremists slip into society to create terror from within.

I agree with this; it's in our nature and it's been here since the stone age. At the end of the day, we all have a bit of that racist view within us whether no matter which country you?re in and what colour you are. In Australia for example, racism is more visible in areas where it?s not as multicultural in my opinion. So let's say a green man walked down a suburb where it's purely just a white Australian neighbourhood, everyone will be looking, thinking and asking what???. If he walked down a suburb where there is a good percentage of these green people in the area for example, no one gives a shi# and its normal life.

I've always said to people, just because the suburb is good to others from what you have heard and the schools are good, will you fit into that neighbourhood? I would rather be the majority than the minority. I only say this because I am not a white Australian, and it's just more comfortable to be in an area where you see your own kind if that make sense. Some don't care about this and aren't observant about it all which is why they sometimes cop shi# on the street and don't even know why. In other words, some people aren't switched on to notice anything.

Racism is subject to the area and cannot be seen as a whole across the nation.

I wanted to also add that racism and discrimination can cross paths; another word to describe racism is this: if you look different from the pack, you basically stand out from the rest. This is human nature and also applies in the animal kingdom. Think about it, you spot a yellow rose in bunch of red roses, so immediately you have been singled out and judgement has been made against the yellow rose whether it be positive or negative. It happens in every country.

How many times have someone said, Asians all look the same, or whites all look the same. Why they look similar is down to human conditioning. In simple terms, we are very adept at noticing facial differences in our own race, however often, we look at other races, black, Asian etc. and cannot differentiate as well between the face. We see a similar trait and assume they all 'look the same. It?s due to a human conditioning effect called the 'Other Race Effect.

I?ve coped the last two sentences above from a forum I read online if you want to look it up. I just don?t want to take the credit for it.

To sum it up, If you want to minimize the chances of being singled out as a yellow rose, live and socialize in an area where there is more than one yellow rose. On the other hand, some people don't single out and don't really care about whether you are a yellow or red rose and I would say its got to do with how they may have been brought up which is a positive in my view. 50 years from now, Australia will be so multicultural, it wouldn't be so much of an issue as opposed to say 10 years ago.

Back