RBA's February Rate Cut

Even with all the cuts now, you still need your property value to appreciate to just "break even" in terms of buy vs. rent.

Currently at about 4%-5% to break even, down from 5%-6% a few cuts ago. 4% is a very tough target to meet in the next 10 years in the current economic condition and affordability.

Remember, Sydney house prices only had a 5.1% annual increase from 1989 to 2008 with a super boom in the middle. 2003 to 2008, sydney house prices index actually dropped from 100 to 98.

So renting is better than buying, financially.. since early 2000. (The only winners are those who cashed out in 2003.)

Ummm... you do realise that the majority of people dont give two hoots about the "financial" side of it.... its all "emotion, emotion, emotion" when 95% consider buying their own home. Financial figures mean almost nothing, except for how much they can borrow (which is now much more than a few months ago).

Good old Westpac that puts my one with Westpac at 5.21% so if CBA follows suit that will be 5.04%. ING is the worst currently on 7.04% but everything else will be in the 5's - until March! LOL

Even with all the cuts now, you still need your property value to appreciate to just "break even" in terms of buy vs. rent.

Currently at about 4%-5% to break even, down from 5%-6% a few cuts ago. 4% is a very tough target to meet in the next 10 years in the current economic condition and affordability.

Remember, Sydney house prices only had a 5.1% annual increase from 1989 to 2008 with a super boom in the middle. 2003 to 2008, sydney house prices index actually dropped from 100 to 98.

So renting is better than buying, financially.. since early 2000. (The only winners are those who cashed out in 2003.)

Yep I knew there still had to be one in there somewhere!

How about people who have never owned their own home before - do you still think they are better off renting than owning their own place?

Of course, renting is better than buying and renting is still affordable.

After a total of about 4% IR drops in mortgage loans and further rental increases, the 2007-08 4-5% breakeven for IP to make sense is now likely to be less than 2%. ;):D

I can't wait to hear comments from the Tenants Union. We should all drop our rents!

had a Thought on this sort of thing the other day?
as my outllaws , glote the property market did fall craig and you said it would not!
Adding the financial savings v's say the yeilds the yeilds have gone up so much,due to the falling interest rates , then a 3% fall in a home is not relivent unless one sells at this lower value, although the yeilds ratio has as most of us know increased very much, SO had the value of a home realy fallen ??? i begb to differ.

Breaking news from Fox Business news

Westpac pass on 100 basis points cut

Nice. I'm now on 5.01% variable rate and my IPs are positively geared. :D

So much extra disposable income now. Will have to buy again soon - I don't like giving so much money to the ATO! Need to find something to buy with a dreadful yield! :D

Last edited:
Thats all good news but what about fixed rates.

We will be very keen to see how low they go.

This so called "Debt Slavery" is looking great so far.

Todays cuts make our places so CF+ that we could go cruising for good right now (if the boat was ready:() and Diesel is far cheaper now as well AARRGGHhh

This might be just the incentive I need for the final push.

Dave

uh-hu, just give it a bit of time and it will appreciate.

Yeah, maybe in Sydney but not for much longer. If you cashed out anywhere else you'd be kicking yourself in the balls every time you walked past a RE office and glanced in the window at the house prices. :D
If you bought a $200k house in Perth during the 2003 boom the current repayments would be about $250/week or you could rent the same place for $400+/week
How about something less valuable like flats and early 2000... you could have bought a $45K 1br flat and have current repayments of $55/week or pay the rent which is well over $200/week.
How would that make you a winner ? :rolleyes:

Back