Recessions don't have to be feared - Ross Gittins

Recessions don't have to be feared - Ross Gittins

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/recessions-dont-have-to-be-feared-20090127-7qwu.html?page=-1

YOU DON'T need me to tell you, but I will anyway. Yes, we're in for a terrible year. The economy's almost certain to drop into recession. Indeed, we may well be there already. That means rapidly mounting unemployment and various businesses collapsing.

This will be our first recession in 17 years, which means it will be a novel experience for everyone under about 30. For the rest of us, however, recession is nothing new. And while everyone's busy working themselves into a funk, it's worth reminding ourselves of a few home truths.

The first is that, although every recession is regarded as a monumental failure of economic management, capitalist economies move in cycles of boom and bust. Always have; always will. So this isn't the first recession we've had and it won't be the last. That's worth repeating because it's a reminder of something we're prone to forget in the depths of our gloom: this recession will pass, just as every other one has.

A lot of people are saying this will be the worst recession we've experienced since the Great Depression of the 1930s. This may prove to be true. After all, it was true of the last recession, in the early '90s, and also the one before it in the early '80s.

But no matter how bad this recession proves to be, it's a safe prediction it won't be nearly as bad as the Depression, when the rate of unemployment leapt to more than 20 per cent. So don't let the talk of depression spook you.

In a recession, just about everyone is adversely affected. It's worth remembering, however, that most of us get let off pretty lightly. The great majority of businesses, for instance, won't go out backwards, even if many lay off staff. And consider this: were the rate of unemployment to more than double to 10 per cent, that would still mean 90 per cent of workers had kept their jobs.

What's more, the risk of unemployment is far from evenly spread across the workforce. It falls most heavily on the young — those leaving education to seek a job — and the less skilled and less educated. There are exceptions, of course, but the higher your level of educational attainment, the lower the likelihood of your being unemployed.

Another factor is that some industries are more susceptible to the business cycle than others. Manufacturing, retailing, advertising and media are always hard hit, whereas the public sector and providers of basic goods and services are largely impervious. We still have to eat, for instance.

I predict that, before the year's out, we'll see letters to the editor proclaiming: what recession? My local restaurant is still full on Saturday nights. Why am I sure we'll see this? Because I hear people saying it in every recession.

Remember, too, that contrary to what we first think, the economic news is never all good or all bad. Just as booms are marred by rapidly rising prices and ever-increasing interest rates, so recessions are leavened by falling interest rates, government giveaways and slowing inflation. Interest rates have another couple of percentage points to fall, with the next fall likely next week. It's a good time to seek out generous discounts. And recessions are a time when the cashed-up and canny buy shares and real estate while they're cheap, setting themselves up for the next boom.

One thing that's different about this recession arises from the introduction of compulsory employee superannuation. Many of us have accepted the notion that to live comfortably during retirement we'll need to replace, or at least supplement, the age pension with a private pension.

The sharemarket always falls heavily in advance of the "real" economy dropping into recession (then recovers in advance of the real recovery). The point is that the build-up in our super nest eggs over the past decade or more — much of which is invested in shares — has made a lot more of us conscious of the ups and downs of the sharemarket in a way we used not to be. So now we have a lot of people looking at their diminished retirement savings, feeling poorer and feeling a need to tighten their belts and save more. They should remember that the sharemarket, too, will recover. Even those close to retirement (but a long way from death) will enjoy this recovery provided they leave a fair bit of their savings in the sharemarket.

I hope I've said enough to persuade you that recessions are a time when a lot of people do a lot more worrying than ultimately proves necessary. This is inevitable, but unfortunate.

It's inevitable because humans are herd animals. When other people are worried we have an almost irresistible urge to join in. It's unfortunate because everyone who tightens their belt unnecessarily makes the recession that much worse. There is, as the economists say, a multiplier effect.

And that brings us to a vexed question. Paul Keating used to be always urging us to save, save, save, but now Kevin Rudd is pressing us to spend, spend, spend. So, which is right? The conflict is easily resolved — it's a matter of time perspective. Over the longer term, saving more than we do at present will leave us better off, particularly in retirement. But spending preserves or creates jobs, so in the short term, at this point in the business cycle, it's better for the economy if we spend.

I'm reluctant, however, to cast this as a moral issue. In tough times people are motivated primarily by self-preservation and all their instincts tell them to pull in their belts and save, which for many people means paying down their debts — by itself, no bad thing.

This may not be ideal, but there's not a lot we can do about it. And remember, the more people save and get on top of their debts, the sooner they'll reach a point where they're ready to start spending again.

No matter how bad this recession proves to be, we're not out for the count.

Ross Gittins is a senior columnist.

And while everyone's busy working themselves into a funk, it's worth reminding ourselves of a few home truths.

The first is that, although every recession is regarded as a monumental failure of economic management, capitalist economies move in cycles of boom and bust. Always have; always will. So this isn't the first recession we've had and it won't be the last. That's worth repeating because it's a reminder of something we're prone to forget in the depths of our gloom: this recession will pass, just as every other one has.

A lot of people are saying this will be the worst recession we've experienced since the Great Depression of the 1930s. This may prove to be true. After all, it was true of the last recession, in the early '90s, and also the one before it in the early '80s.

But no matter how bad this recession proves to be, it's a safe prediction it won't be nearly as bad as the Depression, when the rate of unemployment leapt to more than 20 per cent. So don't let the talk of depression spook you.

In a recession, just about everyone is adversely affected. It's worth remembering, however, that most of us get let off pretty lightly. The great majority of businesses, for instance, won't go out backwards, even if many lay off staff. And consider this: were the rate of unemployment to more than double to 10 per cent, that would still mean 90 per cent of workers had kept their jobs.

*edit*

The sharemarket always falls heavily in advance of the "real" economy dropping into recession (then recovers in advance of the real recovery). The point is that the build-up in our super nest eggs over the past decade or more — much of which is invested in shares — has made a lot more of us conscious of the ups and downs of the sharemarket in a way we used not to be. So now we have a lot of people looking at their diminished retirement savings, feeling poorer and feeling a need to tighten their belts and save more. They should remember that the sharemarket, too, will recover. Even those close to retirement (but a long way from death) will enjoy this recovery provided they leave a fair bit of their savings in the sharemarket.

I hope I've said enough to persuade you that recessions are a time when a lot of people do a lot more worrying than ultimately proves necessary. This is inevitable, but unfortunate.

It's inevitable because humans are herd animals. When other people are worried we have an almost irresistible urge to join in. It's unfortunate because everyone who tightens their belt unnecessarily makes the recession that much worse. There is, as the economists say, a multiplier effect.

Hi Andrew,

You saved me the effort of posting the link! Like always, Ross Gittins is on the money. I'm always amazed how succinctly he can cut to the heart of a situation and spell it out for the majority.

I found the bolded sections in the above trimmed quote most pertinent. Once again, the mass media is following the herd and pandering to their entrenched depressive funk. Ross stands alone as a beacon of integrity in an otherwise myopic cycle of trash media.

If I were to distill the entire article down to a single statement it would be the one buried in the middle somewhere: "This too shall pass"...

Cheers,
Michael

I love to nit-pick so here goes....

Ross Gittins said:
And consider this: were the rate of unemployment to more than double to 10 per cent, that would still mean 90 per cent of workers had kept their jobs.

His maths is slightly out... That would actually mean that about 90/95 'workers' would have kept their jobs (94.74%). This is an even better result than Ross stated, and helps make his point that it's not the end of the world.

-Ian

Thankfully, this is never me.

Whatever the herd is doing, I'm runnin' the other way most times. The 90/10 rule.

Having said that, I will part of the herd from a belt tightening aspect, but not so much a "belt tighten" - just commonsense money management.

Then again, this is one thing we always do as part of our normal week-to-week, and will do until the financial independance arrives (soon).

But as for getting on the panic bandwagon? No.

And recessions are a time when the cashed-up and canny buy shares and real estate while they're cheap, setting themselves up for the next boom.

And that brings us to a vexed question. Paul Keating used to be always urging us to save, save, save, but now Kevin Rudd is pressing us to spend, spend, spend. So, which is right? The conflict is easily resolved — it's a matter of time perspective. Over the longer term, saving more than we do at present will leave us better off, particularly in retirement. But spending preserves or creates jobs, so in the short term, at this point in the business cycle, it's better for the economy if we spend.

I'm reluctant, however, to cast this as a moral issue. In tough times people are motivated primarily by self-preservation and all their instincts tell them to pull in their belts and save, which for many people means paying down their debts — by itself, no bad thing.

This may not be ideal, but there's not a lot we can do about it. And remember, the more people save and get on top of their debts, the sooner they'll reach a point where they're ready to start spending again.

No matter how bad this recession proves to be, we're not out for the count.

loveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveit :D

you've got to see the good in the bad, or it's bad bad bad all the fkn time.

time for a bull call spread anyone?

Hi Guys,

Another great article I just read in a similar vein:

Relax: There will be no depression

Kenneth Gerbino said:
...The financial system will be temporarily "saved" by paper money but working people and savers will be eventually crushed by this currency depreciation. Capitalism and free enterprise will get another bad rap when inflation rips through the system. Honest capitalism and classic free enterprise does not include paper money….the cause of all modern day economic problems.

What to Do
  • Expect Inflation not a Depression.
  • Expect a boom to start sooner than later.
  • Know the past and respect logic, not headlines.
Am I telling you all is OK? No. I am telling you things are as bad as you think. But the authorities are using this crisis to bail out the system with paper money and because of that, the economy will once again go into a so-called boom that will be very inflationary. If you think a Depression is coming you will have your assets in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Sort of echoes my arguments that I've been making for a while. i.e. Expect high inflation in the medium term and position your asset allocations for this. I suggested debt is good, hard assets like residential property is good and cash is bad. I also hold a decent little gold hedge as well which is now up 54% on my buy price 12 months ago. Currently my kg is worth $43K AUD and I paid $27K in Oct 2007. If it goes to the US$3,130/Oz mark some pundits are suggesting and the FX remains unchanged it will be worth $150K AUD, but even I'm not that blindly optimistic... ;)

Just my humble 2c worth.

Cheers,
Michael

http://business.smh.com.au/business/everythings-coming-up-roses-20080423-27xr.html

Rural and mineral commodities have always dominated our exports. The prices the world pays for those commodities vary greatly from year to year according to the vagaries of world demand and supply. In consequence, we've enjoyed "commodity booms" - periods of high world commodity prices - roughly every 20 or 30 years.

The present resources boom is probably the biggest we've ever experienced. The contract prices we receive for coal are expected to almost triple this year, with prices for iron ore leaping by a paltry 65 per cent.

Here's the point: unlike every other, fleeting commodity boom we've experienced, this one is likely to be permanent.

show_image.php

Warmed Cockles,

I presume by that post you're attempting to discredit Ross Gittins. I think you missed the mark if you're arguing the commodity boom is over and unlikely to be repeated. I think the graph shows the short term impact of the credit crunch, and is yet to play out the full story. Lets look forward a few years and see what MIGHT happen shall we:

Kenneth Gerbino said:
What Happens Next
  • The economy stagnates for another 9-12 months then turns around.
  • Unemployment goes down with the induced economic upturn.
  • Inflation comes back with a vengeance.
  • Commodities resume their bull market and turn the deflationistas into inflation believers.
  • Interest rates will go up with inflation and probably to much higher levels.
  • Long term bonds will become the worst investment in the world.
  • The dollar will go down but so will other currencies as many world governments print their way out of their economic woes as well.
  • Gold will go to new highs.
  • Housing and real estate will recover but higher interest rates will slow this sector down considerably in the future.
  • The gold and silver mining stocks will become the best performing sector on Wall Street for many years.
  • The price of oil will go up due to inflation and global production declines of 5-8% per year from most of the largest oil fields in the world.
  • The U.S. "recovery" will help the world recover and almost all countries will have another artificial economic expansion from all the paper money they have printed as well.
  • China and India will create more shortages of basic materials and commodities by the sheer size of the populations and their economic and industrial progress.

Just some food for thought. Chindia isn't dead and buried, just their industrialisation alone cannot sustain commodity prices when the rest of the world is in concurrent recession. But the argument that Ross made in the first article above, and which Kenneth Gerbino supports, is that recessions come and go and this one too shall pass. Inflation is not dead my friend, just sidelined for now...

Cheers,
Michael

Warmed Cockles,

I presume by that post you're attempting to discredit Ross Gittins. I think you missed the mark if you're arguing the commodity boom is over and unlikely to be repeated. I think the graph shows the short term impact of the credit crunch, and is yet to play out the full story. Lets look forward a few years and see what MIGHT happen shall we:

Just some food for thought. Chindia isn't dead and buried, just their industrialisation alone cannot sustain commodity prices when the rest of the world is in concurrent recession. But the argument that Ross made in the first article above, and which Kenneth Gerbino supports, is that recessions come and go and this one too shall pass. Inflation is not dead my friend, just sidelined for now...

Cheers,
Michael

Gittins is a Labor stooge who criticised Howard for 11 years and is now trying to downplay the coming recession (I have no opinion on either political party - I just have an idea of where he is coming from). Gittins was highly critical of the economy smack in the middle of its best years.

My opinion is to not trust politically motivated economic commentators. The same goes for people like Paul Krugman, who is a good economist, but politically biased.

As for the commodity boom. Why will it be repeated? Commodities have had their inflation. To believe that they will immediately again seems silly. Why is the China boom any more believable for sustaining double digit growth than dot-com stocks trading at PEs of 30+?

The Fed inflated everything - bonds, commodity prices, houses, stocks. The only thing that hasn't crashed yet is bonds. And when they do the damage will be tremendous.

(PS. I can't believe you're listening to gold bugs. Of course they think inflation is coming - they always do!).

As for the commodity boom. Why will it be repeated?

Because the Chinese, Indians, Vietnamese, Indonesians - and lately - the Angolans - are all queueing up to join the Western world. And theres quite a few of them.

I work in mining and despite what people think - a return to 2004 prices is not a disaster. Plenty of mining companies are still making a 100% margin FOB at todays prices.

Because the Chinese, Indians, Vietnamese, Indonesians - and lately - the Angolans - are all queueing up to join the Western world. And theres quite a few of them.

I work in mining and despite what people think - a return to 2004 prices is not a disaster. Plenty of mining companies are still making a 100% margin FOB at todays prices.

How does desire for higher living standards translate to sustained growth? Millions of subprime Americans wanted to live like billionaires, with McMansions and expensive new cars.

Does anyone actually believe that China's slowdown was caused by the credit crisis and wasn't internally generated? You have another thing coming.

Does anyone actually believe that China's slowdown was caused by the credit crisis and wasn't internally generated? You have another thing coming.

Would you care to substantiate your conjecture?

To me (and apparently the BBC) its a fairly obvious link.

Tens of thousands of migrant workers are leaving the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou after losing their jobs, railway officials say.

The increase to 130,000 passengers leaving the city's main station daily is being blamed on the credit crunch.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7713594.stm

Would you care to substantiate your conjecture?

To me (and apparently the BBC) its a fairly obvious link.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7713594.stm

Of course China are saying the US-generated credit crunch is at fault. Not the fact that China has been overbuilding and has its own subprime problem.

http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/programguide/stories/200810/s2390486.htm

(Also keep in mind China's stockmarket fell 66% from peak before either Aus, US or any Western markets halved)

http://business.smh.com.au/business/everythings-coming-up-roses-20080423-27xr.html

Here's the point: unlike every other, fleeting commodity boom we've experienced, this one is likely to be permanent.

show_image.php

Ha, ha. Thanks for that. I got a laugh too.

And I don't mind admitting I too believed the boom may have been permanent or at least went on for a decade or more. Atleast I can see when a party is over though. :) I sure as hell had some fun for a little while.

See ya's.

Boomtown, im very interested to hear your views re the resources industry since you work in that area.
Whats it really like at ground zero at the moment?
The media is talking about massive job custs, is this just a small fraction when compared to the total number of people working in mining?

How are things such as working hours going? is overtime being eliminated?

What about contractors? are contractors still being employed or are they the ones being laid off. And if so whats the % of contractors to company employed workers.

Any help on these issues would be a big help. Thanks.

Hi Chilliaa,

I have found your posts very helpful and have a little information about the WA mining industry from my contacts.

There are certainly more people loosing jobs than makes the media here in WA. The WA government is looking at undertaking a survey of all mining companies right now to get a handle on exact numbers, keep an eye out for that. Sites which are currently shutting down or reducing significantly seem to be those that came on line later in the boom, therefore the more marginal, or older, projects to some extent. Obviously companies with poor management are not doing too well right now either, or exposure to the wrong or limited metals. In the case of one recent shutdown, there are rumours the actual milling process was ineffective as well as poor metal prices.

The mining industry is of course one of the great boom and bust industries. I was speaking to a director in an HR company that works only in the mining industry last week. He mentioned that mining companies like to cut staff and costs deep and sharp at the start of a bust and in his opinion (he is ex mine professional) often cut too deep during that process.

I know of one contract that was terminated with a mining contractor that got quite a bit of press recently, the terms of that contract were actually very much in favour of the contractor (I heard the phrase had them over a barrel). I suspect some companies are seeing the current climate as an opportunity to fix past mistakes. Also looks good to shareholders.

Long term mining contactors likewise are quick to release staff with less than two years experience or not so great performance, but are still holding tightly the core workers where possible. I am hearing batten down the hatches for 12 months, possible pay cuts to head office staff, no pay rises, hire freeze. Also considering changes such as change roosters from one week on one week off back two two and one to cut costs (travel, staff etc).

Percentage of contractors to company workers varies depending on company policy. Some companies are kicking out contractors, others are pulling them in for smaller jobs.

Gold is going ok, and the falling AU dollar has certainly been a buffer across the industry. At the end of the day the strong will survive.

Of course China are saying the US-generated credit crunch is at fault. Not the fact that China has been overbuilding and has its own subprime problem.

Thats not the half of it. China has much much worse than subprime. Most large corporations (every single one of which is State owned) have been technically insolvent for at least 10 years. Every major bank (also State owned) is also under water. To say that places like Shanghai and Beijing have property bubbles on top of that is really adding nothing.

The whole system is incredibly corrupt and they also arent particularly sophisticated when interfacing with large complex Western businesses - for example they dont really understand how to use professional advisors.

To say that China has a subprime problem doesn't begin to tackle the problem.

(Also keep in mind China's stockmarket fell 66% from peak before either Aus, US or any Western markets halved)

The Chinese A market has no connection to reality whatsoever. I always laugh when serious looking suits on television ads talk about emerging Asian markets and mention the A market. The A market is entirely artificial. For starters most of the listed entities arent even the parent companies - the listed entities are subsidiaries of a larger unlisted state owned corporation. This means there is a severe problem with listed company funds being tunneled back to the state owner.

Although to be strictly acurrate - every company on the A market is state owned. Every state owned corporation has a policy board made up of Communist Party members. The CEO and CFO dont run the company, the policy board does. All state owned companies are run in the best interests of the state (which generally means the best interests of the local political leader). Shareholders are just collateral damage.

The reason the A market is so big is because Chinese have a lot of savings and are prohibited from investing anywhere except in the bank and the A market. If they are local residents they can also invest in property - but someone from Urumqi, Xinjiang can't just buy a 'foreign grade' Shanghai apartment to rent to the laowai at $4000 US per month.

The whole A market runs entirely on rumour - what government department is going to favour which company with a plump contract to make its earning surge. Dont be fooled by market heroes like Huawei or Haier - they are government funded loss leaders to get brand China out into the global marketplace and to try to demonstrate that they can create quality products if they really put their mind to it.

The finance and capital systems at the macro level are so different from our Western systems that any comparisons are pointless. Of course if the USA keeps up the good work and nationalises the S&P500 then comparisons may make more sense :p

Of course - the fact that 90% of their corporations and banks have been insolvent for at least the past decade has not stopped them having a massive boom. Go figure.

Last edited:
Boomtown, im very interested to hear your views re the resources industry since you work in that area.
Whats it really like at ground zero at the moment?
The media is talking about massive job custs, is this just a small fraction when compared to the total number of people working in mining?

How are things such as working hours going? is overtime being eliminated?

What about contractors? are contractors still being employed or are they the ones being laid off. And if so whats the % of contractors to company employed workers.

Any help on these issues would be a big help. Thanks.

There is alot of variation company to company. Its common knowledge that some entities are genuinely struggling with their debt load. But generally speaking, "discretionary" spending is being cut across the board. Any maintenance that can be deferred is being deferred (even if it will cost more to fix it in 2011 people are hoping that our dollar will improve so we dont have to pay so *$&($ much for parts). If its a greenfields project just forget about it - it wont get up. Brownsfield projects are still going ahead but the timelines are being stretched out. In 2007 it had to happen yesterday - in 2009 we will see if we can get it done sometime in the next 6 months. Jobs are being lost but its the contractors getting hit - its unusual for core staff to be let go. I wouldnt want to be an exploration geologist at the moment.

And the Russians, Chinese, Japanese and Koreans are all over Australia right now. They are cashed up and looking for deals. But people only want to sell the dogs and keep the good mines.... so actually the foreign buyers are being a bit frustrated atm. But I have seen dog on the menu in steamboat restaurants in Asia so maybe they are used to it.

In a nutshell the core businesses are strong and remain profitable. But the excess fruit from the boom is being discarded and picked over and that is what the media is picking up on.

Last edited:
Yes i can definately relate to the dubious business practices. Mainland chinese are quite 'suspicious' of the supernatural. Ive heard from several mainland chinese that its typical practice to burry a live child under a newly constructed building so that its spirit will protect it. Of course with censorship laws this sought of stuff will never hit the media.

There is alot of variation company to company. Its common knowledge that some entities are genuinely struggling with their debt load.this makes sense after several yrs of boom conditions, but is it the higher cost producers that are really feeling the pain or is it accross the board. But generally speaking, "discretionary" spending is being cut across the board. Any maintenance that can be deferred is being deferred (even if it will cost more to fix it in 2011 people are hoping that our dollar will improve so we dont have to pay so *$&($ much for parts). If its a greenfields project just forget about it - it wont get up. Brownsfield projects are still going ahead but the timelines are being stretched out. Whats the difference between greenfield and brownfield? In 2007 it had to happen yesterday - in 2009 we will see if we can get it done sometime in the next 6 months. Jobs are being lost but its the contractors getting hit - its unusual for core staff to be let go. I wouldnt want to be an exploration geologist at the moment.

And the Russians, Chinese, Japanese and Koreans are all over Australia right now.Yes this makes sense because of our low $ and the fact that asians tend to take a long term view point. Their wealth is not tied up with funds managers looking to outperform within the next 6 -12 months. They are cashed up and looking for deals. But people only want to sell the dogs and keep the good mines.... so actually the foreign buyers are being a bit frustrated atm. But I have seen dog on the menu in steamboat restaurants in Asia so maybe they are used to it.this is nothing, have you tried live monkey brains with the live monkey positioned under the table whilst the staff slices its scalp off

In a nutshell the core businesses are strong and remain profitable. But the excess fruit from the boom is being discarded and picked over and that is what the media is picking up on.

Thanks for your views.

Back