Reno advice needed - 1st investment property

That's my favourite so far. Love the doors from the front rooms to the patio out the front.

Only suggestion is to use a sliding door from the kitchen to the hallway.

That's my favourite so far. Love the doors from the front rooms to the patio out the front.

Only suggestion is to use a sliding door from the kitchen to the hallway.

Yep, the last design is good one. 3 big bed rooms and the deck will be more useful as well with kitchen next to it. I reckon the front patio can be closed and used as a sunroom or something!

Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty happy with the bedroom layouts all beds are large & have built-ins.

I have now been focusing on the kitchen & living areas.

Below are the two best layouts I have come up with please be super critical and let me know where the faults are (if any :D).

FOR REFERENCE CALL THE DESIGN AT THE TOP #1 The one below #2

8IJT

I assume the bedrooms are at the front of the house??

If so, how do visitors enter the house, not through the french doors into the bedrooms I hope! ;)

Entry to house is through door on left hand side.

The graphic I used is covering the entry door. However it can be seen in the 3D image. The front door is top left corner in 3D image.

You can also see the 'main entry' indicated towards bottom of page 1 of this thread.

The main entry is on the left hand side of the house. You enter into living / kitchen area

My thoughts are.

- layout #2 doesn't leave much room for a decent sized dining table. Only a two seater! Is this an issue for renters?

- layout #2 has less cupboard space.

- layout #1 doesn't have the same 'flow' as #2. #2 seems like it complements the opening out onto the deck better.

- layout #1 the lounge TV area seems a bit 'out-of-place'

Where's the current plumbing? Keep it simple!

Personally I think you are trying to squeeze too many bedrooms into too smaller a place with no where near enough living space for that amount of bedrooms. Its way too small for a family so I'd be looking at what do professional couples want.

I'd have 2 bedrooms and bathroom running down one side and open plan the side other onto the front and deck which will give the illusion of more space. Entrance off the front patio, access to a clothes line out the current entrance with kitchen laundry or even stashed in the current "Storage" area. On the bedroom side I'd build a privacy wall a couple meters out from the french doors so there is a small private court yard.

Here's a ROUGH idea, shrink the bathroom a bit to open it up. LOTS more could be done with the kitchen etc.

GeorgeStFinal_zps90df0cd9.jpg

Just looking at it again you could flip the bathroom layout so the front bedroom could become a Master suite with an almost ensuite set up particularly if its a couple living their alone.

Hope this is of some help.

Last edited:
Where's the current plumbing? Keep it simple!

Personally I think you are trying to squeeze too many bedrooms into too smaller a place with no where near enough living space for that amount of bedrooms. I'd have 2 bedrooms and bathroom running down one side and open plan the side other onto the front and deck which will give the illusion of more space. Kitchen located in the middle so you have dining onto the rear deck and lounge onto the front. On the bedroom side I'd build a privacy wall a couple meters out from the french doors so there is a small private court yard.

Hi Kamak, thanks for the feedback.

Yes it would definitely open things up more from a living area point of view, quite a few people have said this, too small for three beds.

But from an equity & rental yield point of view I assumed 3 bedrooms are better?

SO WHAT HISTORICALLY IS BETTER WHEN LOOKING FOR BOTH EQUITY & R/YEILD?

>Big open plan living with two rooms ?
OR
>Extra Room with smaller living areas ?

As an example rental yield is about $100 different per week for that extra bedroom. It doesn't appear that people are paying more for the larger living area. Approx $5k a year more income.

3 BED $450-470pw

vs

2 BED $320-$350pw

Updated my post with a pic. Im not happy with the layout but am at work so its a quicky, was meant to demonstrate the bedroom side with much more work required on the kitchen and living areas.

My advice would be go start having a look at rentals in the flesh to get an idea of what is REALLY acheiveble. You may be able to jam in 3 rooms but unless you are renting to students you will most likely struggle with such small spaces.

Updated my post with a pic. Im not happy with the layout but am at work so its a quicky, was meant to demonstrate the bedroom side with much more work required on the kitchen and living areas.

My advice would be go start having a look at rentals in the flesh to get an idea of what is REALLY acheiveble. You may be able to jam in 3 rooms but unless you are renting to students you will most likely struggle with such small spaces.

YEAH, I see what you mean... it would have more WOW factor walking into such a spacious layout.

But I guess what I really need to do is research my target audience better!

Ill have another chat with my PM and see 'who' is likely to rent in this area.

Hi, can I ask some questions?

What price bracket is the house in (or what did you pay)? If you spend (as you say $40K) how will that cost sit with the median of the area?

$40K isn't a lot if the median price is $500K but if it's $250K that's a lot.

That makes a huge difference as to how much you should spend. Some of the designs are great but if spending $40K won't make you any money or extra rent, why bother? You may be better off just doing a simple reno.

You want equity but it's difficult to say without any figures.

If you care to give some figures it may shed some light on whether your costly designs make sense (equity wise).

Hi, can I ask some questions?

What price bracket is the house in (or what did you pay)? If you spend (as you say $40K) how will that cost sit with the median of the area?

$40K isn't a lot if the median price is $500K but if it's $250K that's a lot.

That makes a huge difference as to how much you should spend.

House was 450k.
Median house price is approx 450k
However since start of 2013 there have been 6 or 7 3&4 bedroom houses within 1km radius that have sold between 550 & 650+
Suburb is highfields NSW.
Neighbouring suburbs is 'Adamstown heights' & 'merewether'

If we spend the money and make this a three Bedder with open plan living & deck etc Im thinking it can also be worth around $550.

We also plan to put a granny flat on the block (822sqm). At approx $120k

Then I would estimate value of $700k+

Approx Rent per/w. $770 - $790

those pics are awesome!!

do you use special licensed software??

I would love to use it ....for free though

yes im tight!

The kitchen design software is free. Its online. Oddly enough its provided by kaboodle. The kitchen supplier that bunnings uses.

Nice software. Easy to use and renders in 3D when you finish your design.

The layouts/plans I have drawn using 'Corel Designer'

The kitchen design software is free. Its online. Oddly enough its provided by kaboodle. The kitchen supplier that bunnings uses.

Nice software. Easy to use and renders in 3D when you finish your design.

The layouts/plans I have drawn using 'Corel Designer'

man, cant believe its free!!!
im off to try it right now!!

thanks

Back