Rental Express Qld - getting passed around like a hot potato from PM to PM

Hi all,

In the last three months or so I've received email correspondence from about 4 different PM's managing my property. :confused:

There is no handover advising me someone different will be taking 'care' of me. When first contacted, I received a terse email from the previous PM stating 'x' is now handling your property, please address all future queries to them.

I've enquired about maintenance issues & the renewal of the lease only to have yet another PM advise me the lease has been resigned & drawing my attention to some things that need fixing & tenant requests for a flyscreen etc.

Am I being too needy thinking this is a bit much? I think it's quite bad customer service. Should I complain to the manager or is this usual practise to be passed around without any warning?

Thanks for your advice

Last edited:
There is no handover advising me someone different will be taking 'care' of me. When first contacted, I received a terse email from the previous PM stating 'x' is now handling your property, please address all future queries to them.

Same thing's happening to me at the moment. I had a PM when I first signed up and all went smoothly. Then about a year later he left, and I got the letter saying Ms. X is now managing the property which is fine. But I think there's been two or more since that, and they don't even bother advising me now (probably don't want to highlight their current high staff turnover to me). I've even had two girls at once which was confusing me as I didn't know who to direct things at. Anyhow the last few weeks have been a mess with tenant changeover, so guess what I'm doing once I have all monies owed to me paid so they can't withhold any? ;) I am not too pedantic like some on here, as I work with PM's so I see the other side of it... some PM's are bad but some landlords are a nightmare and unreasonable, so have been fairly tolerant, but enough is enough.

Thanks biggles, I take it you're changing then :) ?

I just don't like being too picky either, but like you, I don't know who i'm dealing with now. We had one gal at the start & she was great, but since then exactly what you've described has been happening.

Is it worth having a word with someone there saying it doesn't inspire confidence when this is what's going on? I'd rather give them some constructive feedback & have things improve that just go to another agency.

I have another PM lined up, who has been recommended to me, and she's an older (not 20) lady who has been around for a while, so yes, I'm definately changing. I'm not sure there's any point in talking to the company, the current couple of girls I'm dealing with are young and I just feel they lack experience. So despite the deliberate stuff up's of late, I don't feel confident with or without saying anything to them due to the inexperience. Are there any companies in the area that have good recommendations from people? If so, I'd probably change. If you feel they aren't doing the job properly, don't wait for them to create a mess. I'm lucky my situation (I hope) has worked out ok, but it could have gone the other way, had I not done any homework myself and insisted things be done. Just one example (of a few things) is, they didn't do a NTD check before signing the tenants up! :mad:

If you are looking to change agencies one thing to consider most agencies will require 90days notice to remove your management, I would recommend changing this on the PAMD 20a so say 7 days notice page 2, 4.2 type of appointment.

the agent will not like it but will agree as they want your business

there will always be a large turnover of PM as the average wage is only 40k and new and inexperienced get paid 32k

good to know how much your Pm is being paid to look after your biggest asset

Thanks russellpeter, next time I sign on a PM I will definately do the 7 day thing.

It's all a good learning curve.

I emailed to request details on what the new rent is as I haven't been advised yet. Am assuming it's another 12month lease, once again have not been told.

Also requested PM get quotes to fix a couple of things & install an exhaust fan in the bathroom.

Advised new PM she was about the 4th person I'd dealt with in so many months & could she please advise if it was normal Co. policy to be switched around so much with no introductions. Also advised I know it's not her fault that others have not gotten back to me.

Am assuming I'm getting pushed from pillar to post b/c I only have 1 place with them & it's a 1br so therefore not their biggest account.

We had 8 different PM's in 18 months on one of our properties. The way we found out that the PM had changed is when the email got returned to us as the address no longer existed :eek:

We recently changed from that agency and found out the tenant had been requesting some maintenance for 8 months which we were not aware of

try sending them an email asking for a copy of your PAMD 20a and see how long it takes then to call you. and send it to the receptionist as well as the pm so it gets passed on.

also if you are considering changing agents with the 90days notice whoever you pick they should either pay out the 90days or manage your property for free for this time so there is no cost to you.

good luck

We had 8 different PM's in 18 months on one of our properties. The way we found out that the PM had changed is when the email got returned to us as the address no longer existed :eek:

We recently changed from that agency and found out the tenant had been requesting some maintenance for 8 months which we were not aware of

Gosh! It's been nowhere as bad as your experience...yet.

I think it's the maintenance requests that have me a tad irate. I like to think of myself as a good landlord/IP owner & wish to attend to any maintenance issues asap mainly so they don't become worse over time.

There have been 2 issues I haven't been advised of before which have been raised by this latest PM. I'm beginning to wonder when the tenants first requested they be looked at?

Is there a way to terminate PM agreement early in a case such as yours? ie due to non-fulfilment of their duties as PM

try sending them an email asking for a copy of your PAMD 20a and see how long it takes then to call you. and send it to the receptionist as well as the pm so it gets passed on.

also if you are considering changing agents with the 90days notice whoever you pick they should either pay out the 90days or manage your property for free for this time so there is no cost to you.

good luck

Thanks again russellpeter! I like the idea of requesting the PAMD.

Will a new agent really accomodate the request to pay out early or manage for free? Is this standard practise or just something you've learnt over the years?

good luck

Hi russellpeter,

Am just about to email them now. What does PAMD (20a) stand for? Just want to know what I'm talking about if they query me further. Thanks again :)

I don’t know if it is common but its something I have been doing

As I know as soon as you give the 90days notice the current pm will stop working on your property and just collect management fees.

and also my favorite part of my job is going into other offices and picking up the paperwork.

PAMD 20a Stands for
property agents and motor dealers act

but its known as PAMD 20a you would have signed one when you first started with them.

if not and they can’t show you a copy. cases is the past where owners have demanded there full management fees back and won

Oh, brilliant! Thank you for your timely advice.

Emailing now....(as don't have a copy in my records)...will update soon...

:)

Hah! I owe you a 6 pack then...just got emailed a copy of PAMD now...less than 45mins after my email :)

Going through it now....

...bugger, it's 90 days. But it says "90 days notice in writing agreed by both parties" is that the usual wording?

Also it's my original Harcourts agreement...I think they were amalgamated or taken over by Rental Express. Does that have any bearing on my position with them?

Last edited:
no bearing unless part 4.4 page 2 assignment clause

If this is ticked I agree then it means they can sell the rent roll and pass your property on without signing a new 20a

don’t worry about the 90 days when you pick a new agent they will pay this out for you or manage it for free

Back