revisiting a classic thread from days past - fishing

Thanks, Pete

You know, I never read that thread when it was first posted, it would be interesting to know what

Michelle Riley
Michael Yardney
Marshall Brentnall
Apprentice Millionaire
Robert Forward
The Wife
Ross E
Ruby .
Anthony C
Nigel W

have done since that posting around May, 2002.

Yes, I know that some (!) of those posters are still active contributers to the Forum, this is just a list of contributers to that thread.

I am both fisher, learning fisher and teaching fisher.

However, it is very true that really, you cannot 'teach' anybody anything. Yes, a few technical details, but you simply cannot teach anyone else 'sense' or a 'knack'. You either have the 'eye' or you don't. That is not to say that you cannot develop the knack, but you have to develop it by trial and error and sheer bloody mindedness. Success in anything is not easy, that's why it is success.

I thought Nivia made a very good point regarding variety of fish. I recently wrote an 18 page report suggesting that flathead was a variety that my customer could consider. This was rejected out of hand, not a moment's hesitation 'Oh, I don't want flathead, wouldn't even consider it' was the immediate reply.

Yet, after writing that report, I think that my next purchase may very well be flathead, even though I would previously have thought that only bream was worth considering. A 'Fisherman's Basket' is probably the best investment choice anyway, as the contents would appeal to all tastes should the day arrive when the wares are taken to the market.

However, regarding mentors, I must admit as a mentor I have enjoyed a particular success with a gentleman who genuinely and sincerely simply needed someone who believed he could do it, showed him how to do it, but stood back and let him bait the hook and cast the line his own way. I provided the net and the coaching and there was no-one more delighted than me when he landed a particularly fine rainbow trout.

I am competely sure that it won't be too long before I answer the phone to him asking 'Well, can I buy Number 3 yet?' and we will work out a way for him to land the next fish.

We all have to come at anything our own way. Nigel was prepared to inspect, explore, research and make offers for nearly a whole year before he was successful in winning a really special deal. Many others would have packed their tackle away and simply bought fish 'n' chips on the way home from the beach, declaring that fishing was a mug's game.

So fish fingers from the freezer, cooked fish from the shop, or deep sea marlin fishing, was it in Hello, Dolly! that great line about Life being a smorgasboard, but that most people leave the table, hungry!

So just keep right on fishing, and I hope you catch heaps!

Lotsa love

Kristine

happy fishing

We're all different.

Kristine, I like the idea of concentrating on a few of those lovely trout. I don't mind not having a "fishermans' basket" of varieties 'cause I plan to not go to the market. I'm happy to catch only what I need, maybe one or two extra to share; but not catch lots for selling. I don't need a lot.

What reminded me of the thread, is that I've encountered people who think there is some magic secret to success. Understandably, they'd like to know the secret. Rather than mentoring, they want to know the secret.

They seem not to believe that fishing is really very simple and, as I'm learning more and more to be the case, the biggest obstacle to their success is their own attitude. Anyone can fish successfully.

And everyone has to fish their own individual way.

We're all different.

:)

Pete

I recently was asked how do I fund the shortfall in the mortgage if the rent did not cover it. I said that you had to cover it yourself and you could ask the tax department if you could pay-less-as-you-go and there was a special form to fill out. She looked interested, so I went on, "I could give you a few books to read if you like?" She thought that sounded like too much work. So that was that!

Can lead them to water, but you can't make make 'em drink.

SS

Yes, SS, there is a meaning. Of course. Nothing to do with your post, though; if that was confusing you.

More along the lines that people see the great photo and think the reason they don't take great photos is 'cause they don't have the great camera.

If only they had the same camera (or accountant or banker or real estate agent; or fishing spot or bait) they would get the same great results.

Obviously it is not the camera; it is the photographer/investor/angler.

As I wrote earlier, "the biggest obstacle to their success is their own attitude". That is what has to change.

regards,

Wow the Wife's post has inspired me to make a few personal approaches to people I see doing things, to have a chat about how they do it. I have oodles of enthusiasm and a passion for fishing but some rain has fallen on me recently that made me turn away from the shore. Time to get up at dawn again and get out there.

Thanks Pete that is a great thread!

Awesome!!

The Wife's post is truely inspiring?

Anyone know where she is these days? I haven't seen her post here before and I'm sure she's had many more great posts apart from that one.

Thanks for reviving it Pete. A good time to mention some of yours have inspired me too.

Cheers :cool:

Sultan of Swing said:
Awesome!!

The Wife's post is truely inspiring?

Anyone know where she is these days? I haven't seen her post here before and I'm sure she's had many more great posts apart from that one.
She did get very sick a couple of years back, though I understand she did recover, but has not been active in this forum since.

Thanks, SOS.

I've learnt enormously from many on this forum; inestimable value.

BTW, the eponymous Dire Straits album has been my favourite in the car for 20 years now. I must've listened to it several thousand times. For a while I've had a 10 stacker CD player - the first 5 albums are Dire Straits! As well as the first few albums, the great double live Alchemy set.

Keep on learning.

If I had to vote for the best post ever posted in this forum, that fishing one would win by a country mile. I still remember the first time I read it way back when.

If I had to vote for the best post ever posted in this forum, that fishing one would win by a country mile. I still remember the first time I read it way back when.

Wanted to fish this one up from the depths of the SS Ocean Archive for those who haven't yet seen it.

Teach Us To Fish has a wonderfully inspiring post from The Wife. Wonder if she ever comes back to SS for a visit from time to time.

Enjoy the read. :)

WOW.. WOW and double WOW what an amazing post.

This should be the "Gospel acording to the Wife!!"

FABULOUS I have printed it out and will read it often.

Thank you soooooo much.

I had no idea what I was in for opening that thread. I ONLY opened it as my husband was out fishing (for real fish) when I saw it. He's back now. I've printed it off & have added it to his 'pile' to read.

My hubby doesn't have much to do with our investing. Certainly not as much as I would like. But hey, how we describe it is, you'd never catch me sitting at the cricket to watch a test. We just have different interests in that regard.

I'm certain The Wife's post will be read more than once in this household.

Cheers

Back