ROI on Cosmetic Changes

Hi,

I have a property being prepared for renting. An agent I've used in the past took a quick through, and other than recommending painting, cleaning (including carpets) and changing tap washers, he suggested leaving everything else, as it would not provide any increase in rental.

Some of the tap ware looks a bit dated, sort of a translucent dark brown plastic.

Given that I have to change tap washers, does anyone think there is an advantage in putting in new tap ware?

Thanks,

Depends upon how old or daggy the taps look. If the taps are old, they may require reseating for the washers which may cost you more than the new tapware.

Hi,

I have a property being prepared for renting. An agent I've used in the past took a quick through, and other than recommending painting, cleaning (including carpets) and changing tap washers, he suggested leaving everything else, as it would not provide any increase in rental.

Some of the tap ware looks a bit dated, sort of a translucent dark brown plastic.

Given that I have to change tap washers, does anyone think there is an advantage in putting in new tap ware?

Thanks,

Get some comparable numbers for rentals in the area. Work out how far your property is from the top reasonable rent, and how much work needs doing to get the max rental out of it. Get your friendly REA to help too.

Eg, say you rent for $300 per week, the max is around $320 per week, and a new $5,000 kitchen is needed to get that extra $20 a week because the rest pif the place is ok.

$20 a week = $1,000 a year, so 5 years to pay the kitchen off before any return (and then you have a 5 year old kitchen). Not worth it.

Hi,

Thanks,

I put in new tapware in the kitchen, it was done by handyman and not a plumber with tap set from bunnings. You can get some relatively cheap tap sets.

Hi Johnno3,

If you have a house/townhouse and want to charge the water usage to the tenant, it is probably a good idea to replace them.

This way they will be water efficient and are less likely to have any leaks/problems in the future.

Can you provide some photos?

With the taps it depends on whether you need to pay a plumber to change them. Taps are cheap but the labour could be prohibitive.

New paint and carpet does wonders.

As Vaughan said- what you spend depends on how much extra rent you'll get and also the capital gain.

A tidy property also makes a difference to the tenant you attract. We have done reno's and we always get lots of tenants applying. We can take our pick as everyone wants to live in the place that looks inviting. :D

New taps only cost about $50 a set so I'd replace them. Only takes about 20mins to reseat them and screw on the new ones. Have a look on youtube for a tutorial if you don't know how.

Back