Second language

Anyone speak another language? Do you utilise the other language

Am curious, Italian my second language, when travelling Italy and Spain is brilliant

I only speak Italian with my mother though we could go English, just not right/comfortable... Funny that:)

Mtr:)

Currently learning Spanish. Going to be way of life soon, so better get to it. They say 1000 word vocabulary is a decent start. That's 100 words a month I need to learn.

pinkboy

i speak 1 other language probably as much as english, and two others are a bit rusty, but i'd probably pick them up again given couple of weeks of constant exposure. i can still read them

English is my second language. It is a fun language.

Chinese is the first language.

So they say with Chinese 5000 characters is a start. How do you feel now pinkboy?

Are you given a 10 months deadline to marrying a latina lady PB?:D

Greek was the first language I spoke, but English is my first language.

I speak Greek with my parents and other relatives, but when my wife is there only English. I feel it is rude to exclude her from conversations. Other than that I don't really use it. My sister who is a nurse said it was invaluable when she was doing her studies.

I feel a bit torn about my children not learning Greek or Pontian which is dialect spoke by Greeks that lived in Asia Minor.

Last edited:
I studied multiple languages at uni and have qualifications as an interpreter. I like to interpret but would not be good enough to do it professionally. The easiest language for me to pick up was Japanese, hardest is Thai.

I studied multiple languages at uni and have qualifications as an interpreter. I like to interpret but would not be good enough to do it professionally. The easiest language for me to pick up was Japanese, hardest is Thai.

Doing your electrical apprenticeship next mate? :)

I can speak fluent Greek except when I'm being interviewed on live television. I was a speaker at a wealth creation event in cyprus with Bob Proctor and a few other people. Being a former refugee from cyprus, they wanted to do a live television interview for one of the stations.

I was happily chatting to everyone until we went live and I, for the life of me, was unable to interpret the meaning of their first question. After a few seconds of silence they asked it in English - my second language - then I got it!

I think in English and obviously revert to English under pressure - interesting.

I speak some french and arabic.

I was initially raised by my arabic speaking grandparents as my parents were busy building a business. When I started school I spoke a mixture of arabic and english.

I grew up speaking English. My parents speak 9 languages between them.
They were too scared, thinking I would be ostracised to speak anything other than English.
I think it was a shameful time in Oz then.

Now I speak French , Italian and crappy German:D so not so bad!

Anyone speak another language? Do you utilise the other language

Am curious, Italian my second language, when travelling Italy and Spain is brilliant

I only speak Italian with my mother though we could go English, just not right/comfortable... Funny that:)

Mtr:)
I did 4 years of French in High School....haven't used it since then, so remember only broken parts of it.

We have a bizarre English/German mishmash going on in our house. My wife is German and speaks it with the kids - I speak English with them. A lot of the time the sentences end up being a weird blend of the two.

English is my second language. It is a fun language.

Chinese is the first language.

So they say with Chinese 5000 characters is a start. How do you feel now pinkboy?

Are you given a 10 months deadline to marrying a latina lady PB?:D

When I go to China, or when I order from China, I use a 3rd party guy who does the deal with his margin. He interprets everything for us. Cheap insurance instead of trying to decipher from suppliers over there. I have no desire to even try to learn Chinese, because where we mostly deal is not in the major cities, so Im guessing they have their own types of dialect.

Im moving abroad with my wife and daughter. Not sure the need to involve any Latino women? :confused:

pinkboy

Im moving abroad with my wife and daughter. Not sure the need to involve any Latino women? :confused:

pinkboy

but - but - but - you only just finished building that magnificent swimming pool :eek:

Compulsory work or lifestyle choice move?

Like BV, I did 4 years of French - and can still get by with simple sentences ... but am hoping to study it again this year and would love to spend, at least, a year immersed in France sometime in the near-ish future.

It's not until you "have" to learn a language that you really grasp it (ie, the immersion) ... and when you start "thinking" in that language, instead of translating to yourself, is when you've nailed it.

I speak Italian to my parents. My children understand Italian but don't speak it. Having a Latin language helps overseas with French and Spanish. You probably find this too MTR.

One of my children has gone to school in Japan and has taught in Japan. She speaks fluent Japanese. I have watched so many Japanese movies with my kids that I should be speaking Japanese, but don't.

Back