Selling from $247 k ??

id agree with the others at from 249K as from 250k might not show in in some searches and i guess the 249 makes it look lower than the 250

put it this way if you saw a range would you offer higher than the range or at the top of the range?

imo a range cap peoples thoughts
from 249k doesnt give people a limit, FHB may pay more than the range you would of put up because they have no idea what its worth and the really want it

Ok this is good timing for me I think

Check this out

1 bed that was just listed in Dianella asking from $235 k and unrenovated.

Taken from the ad:
"Sure it needs renovating, but I can tell you that an identical ground floor unit that had been renovated in the same development sold recently for $280,000!!!"

Ok so do you think this will help push up my price?? That unit is not that much bigger and it's unrenovated, my kitchen is renovated with heaps of cupboards. Maybe a fhb or investor will want to buy mine because there is less work to do plus they'll be able to get it for a decent amount. Hoping people inspecting will believe that mine if it were fully renovated (they would need to renovate my bathroom, new paint, lights and floor coverings) will be worth or go for $280 k too. # 11 is a lucky number for me so this will be interesting and insightful competition!

What does everyone think??

I'm going to go to the home open and listen to the comments. What kinds of questions though shall I ask agent or talk with the agent about without blowing my cover? Any ideas? Or advice for me please!? Thanks!

I'm going to go to the home open and listen to the comments. What kinds of questions though shall I ask agent or talk with the agent about without blowing my cover? Any ideas? Or advice for me please!? Thanks!
You don't have to give anything away or "blow your cover". Just make up your mind who you are and what you want before you turn up.

i.e. I am a property investor looking for a good return on my investment. I want to buy and renovate to rent and hold. The questions stem from that: how much do you think this would be worth if renovated? What is the rent potential unrenovated vs renovated?

there is no need to play sneaky buggers, just go in and tell her why youre there, ie you want to sell soon in the area and are checking out other properties etc. if anything it will make the agent more open with info.

i call agents quite frequently and let them know upfront my intentions when all im doing is market research

there is no need to play sneaky buggers, just go in and tell her why youre there, ie you want to sell soon in the area and are checking out other properties etc. if anything it will make the agent more open with info.

Doesn't work if you are trying to find out how an agent treats a prospective purchaser.

You don't have to give anything away or "blow your cover". Just make up your mind who you are and what you want before you turn up.

i.e. I am a property investor looking for a good return on my investment. I want to buy and renovate to rent and hold. The questions stem from that: how much do you think this would be worth if renovated? What is the rent potential unrenovated vs renovated?

but that would be lying as that is not my plan

i call agents quite frequently and let them know upfront my intentions when all im doing is market research

yeah I was thinking of doing this however if I say I'm thinking of selling the agent will be able to read by my body language that my property is already on the market. So I'll have to say mine has just been listed and I'm looking at comparables in the area. Yes I agree she might be more willing to chat with me as I could be a potential client in the future. Some of these agents accidentally give away too much info hehe. or shoot themselves in the foot telling you too much. Its handy to find a talkative agent as they can be their own worst enemy haha and she has no idea what my true intentions could be. I could very well be a prospective buyer, from discussions I may get some ammunition to use.

Doesn't work if you are trying to find out how an agent treats a prospective purchaser.

Seeing how she treats prospective purchasers is not the reason for my visit. I want to gather info as to how she thinks the market is travelling, how much she thinks this property will go for etc other properties she has sold. She is not going to reveal too much to me though I think lol. I could say i have a 41 sqm with a renovated kitchen and ask her opinion about what she thinks it is valued at/would sell for in todays market.

I want to gather info as to how she thinks the market is travelling, how much she thinks this property will go for etc other properties she has sold. She is not going to reveal too much to me though I think lol. I could say i have a 41 sqm with a renovated kitchen and ask her opinion about what she thinks it is valued at/would sell for in todays market.

If that's what you want, just ask. What do you have to lose? There are a couple of agents in my area who would be happy to give you all that info + more. I just got confused because you originally said:

"What kinds of questions though shall I ask agent or talk with the agent about without blowing my cover?"

What "cover"? If you just want info, ask for it.

I'd go with >$249k.

People who would be interested in (and can afford) a listing for >$245k would MOST LIKELY still be interested in a property listed for >$249k. They would most likely have a pre-approval for at least $250k.

It's a pretty hot market right now, pitch it closer to your expectations (which based on your dd appears reasonable) should not be an issue given the extra $4k represents 1.6% of purchase price.

All the best.

yeah I was thinking of doing this however if I say I'm thinking of selling the agent will be able to read by my body language that my property is already on the market. So I'll have to say mine has just been listed and I'm looking at comparables in the area. Yes I agree she might be more willing to chat with me as I could be a potential client in the future. Some of these agents accidentally give away too much info hehe. or shoot themselves in the foot telling you too much. Its handy to find a talkative agent as they can be their own worst enemy haha and she has no idea what my true intentions could be. I could very well be a prospective buyer, from discussions I may get some ammunition to use.

then just go with your suggestion above and tell her the truth re your scenario.

also, it is worth remembering that there is no need for either party to "get one over the other" or "be their own worst enemy" etc, sometimes it can just be a simple, genuine conversation and sharing of ideas/market info. sometimes both parties gain something, sometimes just one but it doesnt have to be at the expense of anyone.

i honestly have these discussions pretty regularly with a fair few agents and sometimes ill just call agents randomly who ive never met before and have them. some will engage and some wont, if she doesnt offer you much info you havent lost anything but i just think going in there with a positive attitude instead of a sneaky one will usually lead to better results.

If that's what you want, just ask. What do you have to lose? There are a couple of agents in my area who would be happy to give you all that info + more. I just got confused because you originally said:

"What kinds of questions though shall I ask agent or talk with the agent about without blowing my cover?"

What "cover"? If you just want info, ask for it.

Ah ok... Misunderstanding

Yeah, I'll have a nice chat, keep the convo going and see what I can learn

then just go with your suggestion above and tell her the truth re your scenario.

also, it is worth remembering that there is no need for either party to "get one over the other" or "be their own worst enemy" etc, sometimes it can just be a simple, genuine conversation and sharing of ideas/market info. sometimes both parties gain something, sometimes just one but it doesnt have to be at the expense of anyone.

i honestly have these discussions pretty regularly with a fair few agents and sometimes ill just call agents randomly who ive never met before and have them. some will engage and some wont, if she doesnt offer you much info you havent lost anything but i just think going in there with a positive attitude instead of a sneaky one will usually lead to better results.

Yeah good ideas here.

Yeah it's good networking & learning opportunities for all involved.

I think I came across in the wrong way in my replys I dont want to be all sneaky, I just didn't want to shoot myself in the foot where something might backfire on me. Sometimes I can talk too much and I guess I'm always being careful with what I divulge. I think yes I will be honest like I always am. There was never any intention of dishonesty. I guess I'll play things by ear and see what happens.

I'd go with >$249k.

People who would be interested in (and can afford) a listing for >$245k would MOST LIKELY still be interested in a property listed for >$249k. They would most likely have a pre-approval for at least $250k.

It's a pretty hot market right now, pitch it closer to your expectations (which based on your dd appears reasonable) should not be an issue given the extra $4k represents 1.6% of purchase price.

All the best.

... I dont want to be all sneaky, I just didn't want to shoot myself in the foot where something might backfire on me. Sometimes I can talk too much and I guess I'm always being careful with what I divulge. I think yes I will be honest like I always am. There was never any intention of dishonesty. I guess I'll play things by ear and see what happens.

This is me too. I don't have a good enough memory to be a good liar :D.

Back