Should we fund barbiatric surgery

i just find it interesting that the line is drawn at bariatric surgery for many.

Me too

Government funding provided for those who are addicted to alcohol, drugs, smoking, gambling etc etc, just google you will find Government has spent a small fortune.

Why not the % who suffer from obesity, why is this different???

Me too

Government funding provided for those who are addicted to alcohol, drugs, smoking, gambling etc etc, just google you will find Government has spent a small fortune.

Why not the % who suffer from obesity, why is this different???

Obese is never cool but cool kids always drink and smoke.

May I add:

I know a few ladies, and one gent, who are very beautiful intelligent people. They each have Chronic Fatigue, ME, Fibromyalgia or similar diagnoses. These people don't seem to eat anything more than lettuce leaves, due in part to the myriad of food allergies they have which accompany the CFS and the ME etc. Each person would love to be healthy and as such they DO follow serious nutritional regimes. One of the contributing factors to their obesity is the ten years plus of suffering chronic disease in their early adult lives, which has made mobility, exercise and employment impossible. I don't know what their lives were like before I met them, so I cant even speculate on what may have caused their bodies to become enflamed. Mosquito bites can cause some of these illnesses (Ross River Virus), it's not always the consumption of sugar and Maccas.

So before we bring in the lynching party, remember that obesity is not always self-inflicted.

Unfortunately for some reason many do not accept that it is an addiction.http://foodaddiction.com/resources/science-of-food-addiction/

MTR, it's not food itself that is addictive, it's the sugar rush. Pretty much everything that is processed contains sugar. Why? Because you consume it (sugar) and it makes you feel good.

Cut down drastically on your sugar intake (translation: don't eat processed garbage) and the so-called 'addiction' will be non-existant.

MTR, it's not food itself that is addictive, it's the sugar rush. Pretty much everything that is processed contains sugar. Why? Because you consume it (sugar) and it makes you feel good.

Cut down drastically on your sugar intake (translation: don't eat processed garbage) and the so-called 'addiction' will be non-existant.

This is very true.
I eat only 1200-1400 calories a day, and keep track of the nutritional value of the foods I eat. This allows me to maintain my weight of 51.7 kilo

I can't afford to waste my allotted calories on sweets, as much as I would like to...so I eat more fruit/nuts.
When I do eat sweets...it makes me hungry and I want more....

Anyone eating a plate of fruit and vegetables, would have a seriously hard time to gain weight. It is the sauces/dressings that add the calories.
Fat (good fat) is not the bad guy either...it is sugar...and I love sugar :(

May I add:

I know a few ladies, and one gent, who are very beautiful intelligent people. They each have Chronic Fatigue, ME, Fibromyalgia or similar diagnoses. These people don't seem to eat anything more than lettuce leaves, due in part to the myriad of food allergies they have which accompany the CFS and the ME etc. Each person would love to be healthy and as such they DO follow serious nutritional regimes. One of the contributing factors to their obesity is the ten years plus of suffering chronic disease in their early adult lives, which has made mobility, exercise and employment impossible. I don't know what their lives were like before I met them, so I cant even speculate on what may have caused their bodies to become enflamed. Mosquito bites can cause some of these illnesses (Ross River Virus), it's not always the consumption of sugar and Maccas.

So before we bring in the lynching party, remember that obesity is not always self-inflicted.
like I always say, your friend is the exception to the rule, im still a bit skeptical of the excuse of "I have a medical condition" but regardless, not many general population will have the unforunate conditions as your friend

like I always say, your friend is the exception to the rule, im still a bit skeptical of the excuse of "I have a medical condition" but regardless, not many general population will have the unforunate conditions as your friend

Chances are they only eat lettuce leaves when others are around, and gorge when in private,
I worked with a woman like that...she ate nothing at work..and she wasn't skinny.

Chances are they only eat lettuce leaves when others are around, and gorge when in private,
I worked with a woman like that...she ate nothing at work..and she wasn't skinny.

haha very true kathryn,

like those people drinking diet coke while scoffing down 3 big macs

Unfortunately with medical conditions they compound. The side effects of treatments can also cause issues as well as adverse reactions to 'safe' drugs eg: the pill is a clotting agent with the right conditions/unlucky user it can also cause DVT which then has severe impact on the patient's health.

Will power has nothing to do with it. It is willingness, there is a huge difference. If it were simply a matter of will, nobody would ever get hooked on anything.

Beg to differ. If people exercised Willpower (self control) maybe they wouldn't find themselves in the pickle they are in. Tell me why are people hooked on "Things"?
My belief is because they have little or no self control.
I do agree though that they must be "Willing" to change their ways.

I agree there are obese people who's condition is genetic or caused by underlying health issues. But in the main it is due to overeating, little to no exercise and continuing the same practise for years.
Just as we are individually responsible for our financial wellbeing, we should also be individually responsible for our health.

Unfortunately with medical conditions they compound. The side effects of treatments can also cause issues as well as adverse reactions to 'safe' drugs eg: the pill is a clotting agent with the right conditions/unlucky user it can also cause DVT which then has severe impact on the patient's health.

yes of course, im sure there are genuine cases of medical reasons for weight gain etec. that I have no doubt whasoever

Beg to differ. If people exercised Willpower (self control) maybe they wouldn't find themselves in the pickle they are in. Tell me why are people hooked on "Things"?
My belief is because they have little or no self control.
I do agree though that they must be "Willing" to change their ways.

I agree there are obese people who's condition is genetic or caused by underlying health issues. But in the main it is due to overeating, little to no exercise and continuing the same practise for years.
Just as we are individually responsible for our financial wellbeing, we should also be individually responsible for our health.

So you don't believe people can be addicted to food??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addictive_personality

watched the UK show last night supersize vs superskinny

They were talking about the surgery, and said most people gained the weight back.

So really, why spend all that money, and really accomplish nothing?

So you don't believe people can be addicted to food??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addictive_personality

I certainly do believe people can be addicted to food, drugs, alcohol, gambling etc.
But, I still maintain it is their lack of self control which has them in this predicament.
Research does show that people have addictive personalities and it also shows that exercising self control is the only true reliever of such problems. Their is no magic cure!

Back