Smoking

I am not a smoker. Tried it as a teenager, but didn't like it. I wanted to smoke because my mom and 2 older brothers smoked. My father had quit before I was born. Very common with my peers, but my best friends also didn't smoke. That helped a lot.

In our town, we have a street where no one is allowed to smoke outdoors. Mainly because the coffee shop is there, and because you can't smoke in any public building, they would congregate outside.

No one is allowed to smoke if there is a child younger than 16 in the car.
Not sure if you are allowed to smoke in your home, in the same room, if there is a child present. (they had talked about it, not sure if it passed)

It is illegal to sell cigarettes to minors (under 19), but they obviously get them from someone. They should make it an offense to smoke, as it is to drink alcohol.
Personally, they should ban cigarettes. The effects of second hand smoke, IMO, is worse, as we didn't ask for it.

I can only tolerate visiting my mother for short periods, as she lives in an apartment now, and I come home smelling like an ashtray.She's 79, has had 2 heart attacks, coughs all the time,macular degeneration of the eyes and still blames my father for getting her to start after they got married. !!!

Maybe they should take smokers to the hospital to care for patients dying from smoke related diseases.

Extremely happy none of our 4 children smoke (ages 17, 19, 20, 25)

Smokers annoy the hell out of me. Not because of the damage it does to their and my health, but because of why they smoke. Most young people who start smoking just do so to look cool or fit in or whatever and I hate that. You're not impressing anyone. I have more time for those who started many years ago before there was a lot of knowledge about it healthwise but anyone who started recently is a huge fool in my opinion.

I've had one puff on a ciggarette and that'll do me, I don't see the appeal.

my eyes keep wandering to those filthy things jammed between their fingers the whole time
I've been told they're actually all herbal cigarettes, although in the show they're obviously meant to be normal tobacco.

And in the early parts of the show they were mentioning the health issues of smoking, where they were trying to come up with an advertisement for Lucky Strike and were complaining about the government cracking down on the health aspects, making it difficult to distinguish one brand from another. In that segment, the spin was Lucky Strikes are toasted.

Lucky Strike Guy: But everyone else's tobacco is toasted too.
Draper: No, everyone else's tobacco is poisonous. Lucky Strikes are toasted.

Some great lines in that show, as well as the great costumes and settings. One of my favourite exchanges:

Draper: Who really knows what women want?
Roger: Who cares! :p

GP

Back