So Why do You Invest in Property ?

For tax deductions, to acess profits made from shares through line of credit on property, can spend my money, save on tax or rather pay it through stamp duty and have it making me more at the same time. This is something commentators and doom and gloomers dont consider. A lot of the higher end properties are bought with profits from share markets looking for a tax efficient home. As you can be liable for huge CG tax on profits from the share market. This is why houseprice ratios to wages is flawed. Property is for storing wealth. I think there are quicker easier and safer ways to build it.

The wife and I both agreed it was probably a better plan for financial independance than playing the pokies or buying a weekly lotto ticket :)

We still buy the weekly lotto ticket, because let's face it, going to work every day bites!

But seriously, it's the combination of incredible leverage and decidely low risk that makes property the only game worth playing, in my view.

Before enlightenment struck, we invested everything we saved and invested religiously for 7 years in the stock market only to break even.

We then took out our $180K and bought a PPOR. 7 years later, exploiting futher savings, equity and leverage, we've got a portfolio worth $3M.

Let super be your exposure to shares unless you're Warren Buffett, is what I'm saying.

Belbo

We still buy the weekly lotto ticket, because let's face it, going to work every day bites!

But seriously, it's the combination of incredible leverage and decidely low risk that makes property the only game worth playing, in my view.

Before enlightenment struck, we invested everything we saved and invested religiously for 7 years in the stock market only to break even.

We then took out our $180K and bought a PPOR. 7 years later, exploiting futher savings, equity and leverage, we've got a portfolio worth $3M.

Let super be your exposure to shares unless you're Warren Buffett, is what I'm saying.
S0 Belbo the size of the portfolio doesnt mean much, it can just mean a tighter noose around your kneck. You probably owe$2.5 m on it. with a recourse loan and paying 7.2% interest. If you borrow $2 M to buy shares you could get $10M worth of shares and because it is less risk you can get non recourse loans and lower interest rates, was 3%, a few months ago but probably about 5% now. That is 3 x as many assets at halve the cost.or less as there is no rates or maintaince costs. It is very likely you could get about $1M return in 1st 12 months. If the $2M doesnt double in 3 years,with dividends it probably will in 4, then you still have CG. I think Supperanuation is only good if you manage it yourself or have an exceptionally good manager, most performances are a disgrace. and there are restricions on what you can do in them. you dont have to be Warren Buffet but it is very simple to buy shares in his company ,and leverage shares in his company, you can do this in a supperanuation fund, it is far better than an ordinary industry fund. And you can get far more leverage than you can get buying house.

Buster,

You're saying you can get a non-recourse 80% margin loan at 5% :rolleyes:, and play that on the stock market :eek: with no noose around your neck :rolleyes: ?

You're one seriously deluded puppy, my friend.

Belbo

So Why do You Invest in Property ?

Because my odds of winning are higher than placing a bet and watching my money run off with the gg's or hounds, or spin madly out of control at the roulette or card table!

To sell it all down in 5 years and be the first homeless Bugatti Veyron owner :)

I can hang my clothesline off the windscreen if I get a convertable model !!

No Monopoly, you're guaranteed to lose! Haven't you been listening? Deltaberry has the answer (if Buster doesn't).

Belbo

To sell it all down in 5 years and be the first homeless Bugatti Veyron owner :)

I can hang my clothesline off the windscreen if I get a convertable model !!

Haha I like your style!

I’d like to sell my IPs and get a Bentley Conti SS... but then I’d also have to live in it... maybe we can be neighbours lol

Tried shares for a few months and could not make it work. Ended up losing 5% of my initial capital, which I am told I was already very lucky. The price variations in shares and the need for constant monitoring proofed too much for my character.

I enjoy the stability of property, the leverage and the challenge of doing a reno.

Regards,

Daniel

Why property? Hmmm...

1) High leverage available at low cost
2) Regular rents mean reliable yield
3) Lots of opportunity to buy underpriced assets (for a variety of reasons)
4) Rent + tax benefits pay holding costs
5) Timeframe of loans suits my retirement plans
6) Low risk of negative equity, with this risk continuing to reduce every day

If I was to convert my 1 I/O loan (all the others are P+I) to P+I, then ignore the portfolio for about 18-20 years, I could retire at 55 or younger with 8 properties owned outright. Dead easy. (Of course, I'll do a bit better than that with some thinking and careful management)

I also invest in shares through my super and through directly held managed funds (using a margin loan).

I guess I like assets I can hold for long periods of time (ie decades) that pay for themselves while I wait for capital gains and watch the yields steadily rise.

I also like the idea of being able to retire by 45 years of age, without having sell the assets (and incur CGT).

The price I pay for these benefits is doing some research, and taking some short-medium term risk, which I can manage using various measures.

I can't see a downside.

Money.

No BS here; I'm in it to get rich and retire early with plenty.

It's relatively safe (unless you go for exotic "fringe" type purchases) and the combination of tax deductions, leverage, cap gains etc is hard to beat.

Tried shares for a few months and could not make it work. Ended up losing 5% of my initial capital, which I am told I was already very lucky. The price variations in shares and the need for constant monitoring proofed too much for my character.

I enjoy the stability of property, the leverage and the challenge of doing a reno.

Regards,

Daniel

You should look at the same shares you bought 12 months later. You've probably made 50%. Just like property, you can't expect to buy and flip unless you have some market edge (eg in property you can be a renovation gun, or a subdivision gun, or just have a niche... in equities/derivatives you could be pricing delta/gamma etc or perhaps trading on specific news items etc)

Regards,

Daniel

Wonder which shares you were picking? not telstra right?

for fun

property investing is a lot more fun but less lucrative than share investing. There are only three ways of making a passive income

1. property
2. shares
3. online businesses

property is fun but requires a lot of hard work. It also involves dealing with humans (tenants) which can be difficult at times. Shares can be unpredictable but is often more lucrative and more "clean"

Why do we do anything in life?

Property investing = money = financial independence = happiness/fulfilment*

*If you use the time and money wisely!

Back