Spades is banned....

People can argue about freedom of speech all they want, but Somersoft does not exist to be a soapbox for people to stand on.

The primary purpose of this forum is to provide property investors with a place to meet, educate and discuss property.

Keep in mind that this forum costs time and money to be available. It's privately owned and moderated, a small group of people dedicate significant resources to the open education it provides.

If people could say whatever the like, eventually there would be a lawsuit involved (it has happened). It's the owner and moderators that would immediately suffer, but ultimately the forum would no longer be available to everyone else.

The forum is moderated to protect the owners and the users, from the users. I've been here almost 14 years, I know many of the moderators personally and I know they go to great lengths to be reasonable in their actions. They're nice people, they're easy to get along with and are reasonable, but they do have a serious job to do and it is a volunteer job.

Ultimately this forum isn't owned or run by the members. If someone starts saying things you don't like in your own home you can ask them to stop and make them leave if necessary.

The fact that the Somersoft forum has been around (in various iterations) for almost 15 years is not only a testament to the contributions of the members, but also to how it's run.

People can argue about freedom of speech all they want, but Somersoft does not exist to be a soapbox for people to stand on.

The primary purpose of this forum is to provide property investors with a place to meet, educate and discuss property.

Keep in mind that this forum costs time and money to be available. It's privately owned and moderated, a small group of people dedicate significant resources to the open education it provides.

If people could say whatever the like, eventually there would be a lawsuit involved (it has happened). It's the owner and moderators that would immediately suffer, but ultimately the forum would no longer be available to everyone else.

The forum is moderated to protect the owners and the users, from the users. I've been here almost 14 years, I know many of the moderators personally and I know they go to great lengths to be reasonable in their actions. They're nice people, they're easy to get along with and are reasonable, but they do have a serious job to do and it is a volunteer job.

Ultimately this forum isn't owned or run by the members. If someone starts saying things you don't like in your own home you can ask them to stop and make them leave if necessary.

The fact that the Somersoft forum has been around (in various iterations) for almost 15 years is not only a testament to the contributions of the members, but also to how it's run.
Well said, Pete.

Kudos sent.

I had been on the end on a late night 'discussion ' with spades , he crossed the line but didn't take it personally. He later apologised through PM or kudos.... Doesn't surprise me that he was banned. All good to have an opinion but need to know how to not cross the line.

Yes, well said Peter, however the Coffee Lounge has its fair share of soapbox threads.

That it does and the Coffee Lounge was created for discussions outside of property (there was a big discussion about it 12 years ago). Again, most people would allow you to argue a contrary point of view around their BBQ; they'll accept a good natured and even robust discussion. But if you start to irritate them, they won't invite you back.

Now I'm standing on a soap box. :D

Back