Sport

Have done lots of things over the years, dabbled in triathlon, lots of climbing for a few years. My main adult sport is sailing, got right into it for a while, sailing up to 5 times per week. Pinnacle was silver medal at the world match racing championship a few years ago. These days I'm a Mum but if I can cut back paid employment in a few years I'd like to take it up again.

Karate! I started because my kids were doing it and thought it would be fun to do together - they have dropped out but I am mildly obsessed. Such a great stress relief - 2hrs per week where I actually can't think about anything but not getting hurt :D

About to start again after doing it on and off for the last 25 years.

Some pretty impressive achievements!!

When I was in Australia I played a fair bit of sport. Baseball, hockey, tennis, squash. But nothing serious or competitive.

My main sport of choice is diving. I have logged over 3,000 dives and have many more which I haven't logged. Its an impressive number given Ive not really worked as a diver (I did about 3months work on pearl farms in Broome)

Nowadays I mostly free dive.my deepest dive was 55m and I can hold my breath for a touch over 5mins.
I still have a long way to go if I ever want to be competetive. At the moment it just feeds my family with lots of fresh seafood.

Blacky

Rugby Union and Touch Rugby, i made rep teams for Touch Rugby when i was younger. Don't play union at all now and touch rugby whenever i can but usually socially.

I like tennis and squash as well.

Played a heap of sports when I was younger... hockey, golf, soccer, squash, cricket, basketball, league/union

But stuck to Hockey

State Rep hockey player all through juniors

SA Premier League (top level in SA) player 11 years

Played for SA in Australian Hockey League for couple of years

Was a junior pennant player in Golf, got down to around 12 as a 16 year old but pretty much stopped playing to concentrate on hockey. Still playing hockey now but back at golf as well went from 18 down to 9 last summer. Goal is to get down to 5 this summer and play senior pennants following year. Likely going to have to stop hockey, not really good for my swing.

Retired from playing club AFL back in 2012 to focus on work (focus = working 13 day fortnights) and after a change of jobs earlier this year I decided to get back into it.
In the 12 years previous I had made it into one grand final which we lost and I'm happy to say that last weekend I was privileged to to be a part of the 2014 premiership team. The best part of it all was having my photo taken with our 10 month old son with the medal around his neck after the game :)

As a younger kid I played no sport at all. None.

Found baseball in Grade 6, played U13's and U15's and also cricket for a few years until we moved interstate up to the Riverina..

Country kids gravitate to sport (or did back then - no technology), so I played competition tennis, footy, golf, table tennis, basketball, a bit of cricket and even represented our school in other sports such as soccer, volleyball and swimming (as well as golf and footy). Played Teal Cup footy in Under 18's.

Made a career out of golf, still play the odd set of tennis, and in recent years do a bit of waveski riding and bike riding just for fitness.

Became an avid snowskier and snowboarder in my late 20's, which I still do, and play golf only a handful of times a year now.

Played 9 holes by myself in the fog at dawn on Sat before Father's day...heaven.

Agreed BV I grew up in regional NSW every kid played most sport. They were pretty much all on different days so you didnt miss out. Used to even play soceer in the morning and hockey in the afternoon.

Parents got over playing taxi 24/7 :)

Agreed BV I grew up in regional NSW every kid played most sport. They were pretty much all on different days so you didnt miss out. Used to even play soceer in the morning and hockey in the afternoon.

Parents got over playing taxi 24/7 :)
Yep; roger that.

I remember playing in an Under 18 footy final over at Tocumwal in the morning, and then having to run off the ground after the game, get changed in the car, and go like hell to get back to Deni for an arvo tee-off in the Golf Club Champs - Mum was driving.

Growing up tennis and ballet - State level player in the US for tennis, gave up ballet at 12 after ending up anorexic and wrong body shape.

Later at Uni taught/did martial arts for a few years and scuba diving on weekends, stopped just before black belt due to getting into ironman triathlon (both diving and hapkido). Did a couple of Ironmans bunch of half ironmans. Then got into offroad, Adventure racing (mountain biking, kayaking, running whilst navigating in teams of two (not relay)). Raced internationally, owned a company that runs events (still do, still run a large mountain bike event each year, still have the kayak fleet which we hire out).

Business got too busy, then became a mum, now just run when I can for fitness.

Growing up tennis and ballet - State level player in the US for tennis, gave up ballet at 12 after ending up anorexic and wrong body shape.

Later at Uni taught/did martial arts for a few years and scuba diving on weekends, stopped just before black belt due to getting into ironman triathlon (both diving and hapkido). Did a couple of Ironmans bunch of half ironmans. Then got into offroad, Adventure racing (mountain biking, kayaking, running whilst navigating in teams of two (not relay)). Raced internationally, owned a company that runs events (still do, still run a large mountain bike event each year, still have the kayak fleet which we hire out).

Business got too busy, then became a mum, now just run when I can for fitness.

You're too modest Mooze.

pinkboy

So many folks here who have reached amazing heights, and seems others who could have, but chose not to for various reasons!!

I just thought of one - one of my friends in school who I played footy with - he was an absolute superstar;

A rover (on-baller); could kick 50 metres with both feet, fast, unbelievable skill levels etc, etc...fantastic football brain as well - sorta like yer Gary Ablett Jnr type player.

Typically, on a Sat there would be 4 games; starting with Under 16's, then us (under 18's), then the Reserves, then the "Firsts"...all games one after the other.

One week; he played with us in the Under 18's, then played in the Reserves, then in the Firsts!!

And; was B.O.G in each game...astounding.

Was approached by Geelong to play;

He said; "Nah; would rather stay here and play with me mates".

True story.

I've never been one for team sports, and can not stand sport on TV (unless it's skating, dancing or gymnastics).

Dabbled a bit with dance & gymnastics & learnt how to roller skate when I was young. It wasn't until I was 18, and had my own income that I started to get into the SPORT of roller skating, as there were no coaches to teach it in the local rink & parents weren't interested in driving me where I needed to be, nor buying the proper equipment, as it was expensive.

I dabbled with Roller Hockey, then turned to Artistic (Figure Skating). Prior to having children I had several State Championships under my belt for both Freeskating (Singles) and Pairs Freeskating.

After kids came along, I stopped, but was dragged back into the sport when a local rink needed a coach. This of course, meant my kids were drawn into the sport. Hubby started competing again, the kids were competing & so I started to do Dance with Hubby.

Together we have been Australian Champions in Various Dance Events, in different divisions, and always skating against the kids (not Masters Events). The only time we skated Masters, was at Oceania's, (minor International Event) where we placed first.

I've also represented Australia at World Championships at age 45 in Precision. This is a team event, where I skated alongside both daughters and was the oldest in the team.

All up I've got medals for either State Champion or Australian Champion (or both) in the following:

Freeskating Singles
Pairs Freeskating
Figures
Dance Pairs
Freedance
Original Dance
OSP Dance
Precision

I've not skated now since 2008, as I started to have hip problems. I'm now waiting on a hip replacement.

Meanwhile, oldest daughter is in training for the World Championships in Spain in October. You could say it's a family thing. :eek:

Back