Stockland's Allura Estate, Truganina

Land prices really did jump in Tarneit. I bought 540 sqm of land 3 years ago there for $140k, not sure exactly of current market but would certainly be worth $220k+ land price today.

The real issue in these areas is how the government screws everything up with a range of taxes for land developers bumping up the cost of the land for them to profit, and at the same time offers new house incentives, encouraging everyone to buy new, not second hand.

When I built and sold new, the buyer received $32k in first home owner grant incentives by buying a new property. In a first home buyer market, how does a reseller compete with this, unless the government levels the playing field.

In a first home buyer market, an extra $5k incentive is $50k extra buying power based on a 10% deposit.

If you are planning to buy it as an investment property then you need to be very careful about the high vacancy rate in the area. There was a recent newspaper article about it

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/landlords-feeling-the-pinch/story-fn7x8me2-1226243996889.

If you are planning to buy as your PPOR and you work in the city, then I suggest you try to buy within walking distance of a train station. I lived in Pt Cook previously and now live in Werribee. The traffic congestion during peak hours is bad and there isnt enough carparking at the stations.

Yep. Vacancy in the west appears to be higher in newer outlying areas (Wyndham Vale, Tarneit, Point Cook) than established areas like Werribee and Hoppers.

Any investor who pays more than about $300k for a house in the City of Wyndham is paying too much and won't get extra rent to compensate.

(A $350k house will rent for little more than a $250k cheapie and may be in an inferior position on smaller land)

Prices have come down a bit and you can even buy in Hoppers for well under $300k now.

Eg

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/VIC/Hoppers-Crossing/?adid=2009445424

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/VIC/Hoppers-Crossing/?adid=2009346768

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/VIC/Hoppers-Crossing/?adid=2009425229

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/VIC/Hoppers-Crossing/?adid=2009451133

Whereas 12-18 months ago, for much under $300k you'd have had to buy in Werribee.

Hi All

I'm not sure i can understand the negativity to the estates.

I can understand a lot of the arguments over the price of the land, but I'm not sure they are fair comparisons. I think people are making the comparison of cheap v supercheap. Like comparing a next to new 3 year old $10k Toyota v a brand new year $20k Honda. Either way compared to a $700,000 bloated and overpriced Lamborghini both suddenly become damn damn DAMN cheap.

Yes its very fair to say that paying 210k for sub 400m2 of land only out in the middle of nowhere is pretty terrible, especially when 5 years ago it significantly cheaper, and was/is still just a dirt patch. And yes when you put a house on it with decent options to 400k, that makes it seem even more unfair when you can buy "new-ish" or bigger homes for 100k less and more in other areas, yes there is poor infrastructure in the estates right now, and yes there is massive traffic issues right now. So why would you bother?

Well, 210 is NOT expensive when you compare it to other available land with its position and potential for growth. In fact its cheap for its proximity to the city IN COMPARISON. As an example, Compare a block @ Allura Estate --> 213k and 20km from the city,... as opposed to the south eastern Somerfield estate in Keysborough which is @minimum 280k land, smaller block, smaller house, and 30km out of the city. So then you think, well yeah but werribee and hoppers are better choices with an established property. Are they? If your a 2.3 child family looking for a large home, but as close to the city as possible, then estates like Allura, meadow springs, are on the map. They have large well designed plans, brand NEW customized homes, with infrastructure that down the track will be superior to those at places like Werribee and Hoppers, AND closer to the city by 5 and 10km respectively. Right now they might seem like a bad choice, but in years to come they will be worth significantly more, will NOT be in the middle of nowhere, and be a closed quiet and well styled family friendly estate thats close to the city. It might be a rip off compared to suburbs 10km further out, and past prices, but its a bargain in COMPARISON to a new home in any of the developed suburbs on the other side of the city.

Then there is the occupancy concerns people have raised. The differnce is minimal and there is a rise EVERYWHERE (housing prices down->more investors->more owners->less rentors->more rentals). its not just these estates with high rates, its everywhere, check you own suburb and you will be surprised.

but then this entire argument is the same as the car one at top... if you think $600 per m squared is expensive, how does a 17 sqaure metre apartment at 350k sound?=$7777 per square meter... or then again you could buy a 1.5m squared beach box for 45k? = $30,000 per square metre.. how does $600 per m squared sound now?... compare your werribee/truganina estate arguments in the west to a small block on beach rd brighton at 1.5 million plus.... still expensive?.

A 380-420k H&L package in Truganina isn't a bad option. Its not Good either. its not anything. Its just an alternative that some will follow. For some, its a rip off, for others its a bargain. It's a combination of personal circumstances, finances, preferences and requirements and viewpoints as to whats "best" for each of us.

Rememeber even the sprawling metropolis we are today started out as few huts on the side of a river no one wanted, and even places like Brighton were considered too far away from a town called Melbourne and its ports. My point is Truganina, Tarneit, and alls its estates will be major metropolitn areas at some stage, everything and everyone has to start somewhere.

no one is saying a $250k house is too expensive, they are saying its a poor investment, or there are better alternatives out there,

however, if you like the area that much, and its for your PPOR, then it shouldnt matter how much you pay for it nor what others say about it

Hi All

I'm not sure i can understand the negativity to the estates.

I can understand a lot of the arguments over the price of the land, but I'm not sure they are fair comparisons. I think people are making the comparison of cheap v supercheap. Like comparing a next to new 3 year old $10k Toyota v a brand new year $20k Honda. Either way compared to a $700,000 bloated and overpriced Lamborghini both suddenly become damn damn DAMN cheap.

Yes its very fair to say that paying 210k for sub 400m2 of land only out in the middle of nowhere is pretty terrible, especially when 5 years ago it significantly cheaper, and was/is still just a dirt patch. And yes when you put a house on it with decent options to 400k, that makes it seem even more unfair when you can buy "new-ish" or bigger homes for 100k less and more in other areas, yes there is poor infrastructure in the estates right now, and yes there is massive traffic issues right now. So why would you bother?

Well, 210 is NOT expensive when you compare it to other available land with its position and potential for growth. In fact its cheap for its proximity to the city IN COMPARISON. As an example, Compare a block @ Allura Estate --> 213k and 20km from the city,... as opposed to the south eastern Somerfield estate in Keysborough which is @minimum 280k land, smaller block, smaller house, and 30km out of the city. So then you think, well yeah but werribee and hoppers are better choices with an established property. Are they? If your a 2.3 child family looking for a large home, but as close to the city as possible, then estates like Allura, meadow springs, are on the map. They have large well designed plans, brand NEW customized homes, with infrastructure that down the track will be superior to those at places like Werribee and Hoppers, AND closer to the city by 5 and 10km respectively. Right now they might seem like a bad choice, but in years to come they will be worth significantly more, will NOT be in the middle of nowhere, and be a closed quiet and well styled family friendly estate thats close to the city. It might be a rip off compared to suburbs 10km further out, and past prices, but its a bargain in COMPARISON to a new home in any of the developed suburbs on the other side of the city.

Then there is the occupancy concerns people have raised. The differnce is minimal and there is a rise EVERYWHERE (housing prices down->more investors->more owners->less rentors->more rentals). its not just these estates with high rates, its everywhere, check you own suburb and you will be surprised.

but then this entire argument is the same as the car one at top... if you think $600 per m squared is expensive, how does a 17 sqaure metre apartment at 350k sound?=$7777 per square meter... or then again you could buy a 1.5m squared beach box for 45k? = $30,000 per square metre.. how does $600 per m squared sound now?... compare your werribee/truganina estate arguments in the west to a small block on beach rd brighton at 1.5 million plus.... still expensive?.

A 380-420k H&L package in Truganina isn't a bad option. Its not Good either. its not anything. Its just an alternative that some will follow. For some, its a rip off, for others its a bargain. It's a combination of personal circumstances, finances, preferences and requirements and viewpoints as to whats "best" for each of us.

Rememeber even the sprawling metropolis we are today started out as few huts on the side of a river no one wanted, and even places like Brighton were considered too far away from a town called Melbourne and its ports. My point is Truganina, Tarneit, and alls its estates will be major metropolitn areas at some stage, everything and everyone has to start somewhere.

Keysborough and Tarneit! You just compared two estates!

Estates are a scam designed for people who poured their life savings into having the newest and fastest car. I wonder what that car they bought at 21 is worth now? Just like a new car a new house will depreciate over time.
It's the land that appreciates and if you have only got 300sqm for the same price as a 1000 Sqm then your not going to do too well are you?

Please don't compare real estate to cars or bring up an argument saying that look how much 300sqm is in middle park because facts are as this city grows in population and traffic increases Tarneit will not get any closer to the city.

It's people's obsession with having everything new that makes estate developers rich.

Estates are a scam designed for people who poured their life savings into having the newest and fastest car. I wonder what that car they bought at 21 is worth now? Just like a new car a new house will depreciate over time.
It's the land that appreciates and if you have only got 300sqm for the same price as a 1000 Sqm then your not going to do too well are you?

Please don't compare real estate to cars or bring up an argument saying that look how much 300sqm is in middle park because facts are as this city grows in population and traffic increases Tarneit will not get any closer to the city.

It's people's obsession with having everything new that makes estate developers rich.

Very well said. Also, don't put much weight on their claims of "infrastructure coming soon". The developer has nothing to do with most local infrastructure. They just promise that to get you to buy and then they disappear afterwards.

In Melbourne, apparently the Aurora estate was going to get public transport. It didn't. The train line was going to be extended to Caroline Springs. It hasn't. I can go on and on. When buying a PPOR, one factor that I find is constantly overlooked is quality of life. What good is a shiny new house when it takes you 1-1.5 hours to get home from work and then you have to drive a few kms to buy some bread and milk. That's why those apartments you claim are overpriced are priced that way. People are willing to pay for convenience.

Thanks guys for your replies... I also don't like the idea of buying small rectangle piece of land as the houses when built will look squished together... I explored the area over the weekend and I liked how Arndell estate has been completed esp the houses with bigger block of lands so wondered if Stockland could do something similar to their estate.

To be honest I don't have much savings and hence the 13k is appealing to me to help me get through the loan approval. I do understand the builders are taking advantage and hence taking the price higher but I guess I am stuck between to wait and save more money for deposit while the prices go high or just make a plunge and loose some money by paying more... which is worse?

The other estates coming up in the area are Forsyth Park, just behind Allura and opposite to McDonalds on Sayers road (bit better blocks but still pricey), Bellevue estate with larger blocks and gateway which is yet to start its design of the estate (got approval for planning)

Also noticed prices in point cook have gone down a bit and you can find houses under 400k so wondering if it's worth exploring that side?

I like the idea of buying a house in Williams Landing... if only my pockets were that deep!

This is why FHB choose new homes over cheaper established ones.

'To be honest I don't have much savings and hence the 13k is appealing to me to help me get through the loan approval.'

If the choice is spending another 2 or 3 years renting and saving the deposit and stamps required for an established property most FHB look into building. yes its not the best investment per se, however the motivation of having a mortgage, and owning a home outweigh the downside for many people.

as right value has said, the area does have valuation issues. the causes of this are a combination of government policy and developer and builder policies amougst others.

I suggest building the plainest 'normalist' house your ego can afford. Be prepared for a short val and either be prepared to walk away (so get a finance clause on the land until after the build contract is preped and valued) or be prepared to tip more cash in to make up for the valuation shortfall.

Happy to give more specific advice if you would like to PM me, I have worked in the house and land space as a mortgage broker for the past 7 years.

good luck

I have to agree with strongy1986. Truganina may look close to the CBD but so does Point Cook - yet they take ages to get into the CBD especially during peak times. The traffic bottlenecks are terrible and so is the lack of infrastructure. I wouldn't mind investing there for a commercial property but definitely not residential.

My parents live about 25km from the Melb CBD and unless you're driving at a very unusual hour, it will take you over an hour to get into the city, probably more if you're travelling at the busiest part of peak hour. Even going by train isn't that great because the main road leading to the closest station to their house (3 kms away) has so much traffic gridlock during peak times, it takes about 15-20 minutes just to get to the station. You generally have to go the station that is the previous one on the line which is 6km away. Then you have the additional travel times associated with that.

I much prefer being able to walk to work now :)

I don't know the estates around these areas. Are there any that have land sizes 500sqm + how much are they with a new house?

Assuming they are all around the 300sqm as previously mentioned this is a strategy I would consider after doing some very careful research around council subdivisions.
Find a block of land over 1000sqm (corner block if possible) and put an offer in between 250 - 280. Subdivide block and flog 450-500 Sqm for 150-180. I don't think the market in these areas can afford the 350 asking price for a block but they will snap up anything sub 200. Get some simple house plans drawn up (you said previously not your dream home, want to hold for 5 years) and get a house buil, try and use as many different contractors as possible and get as many quotes as you can. Don't allow the builder to run the show as this makes it easier to hide mark ups on items. You should be able to do all of this for 350,000 and you will have a house on a bigger block, closer to amenities and more chance of capital gains. It just requires a lot more financial resources than what it sonds like you have.

Not sure why I am commenting here, just realised its an old
Post!
Assuming you haven't done anything yet and you only want to hold for 5 years then don't buy in Melbourne, especially in an estate. There is an oversupply of this type of housing. Just look at all the fire sales from developers going on at the moment

no one is saying a $250k house is too expensive, they are saying its a poor investment, or there are better alternatives out there,

however, if you like the area that much, and its for your PPOR, then it shouldnt matter how much you pay for it nor what others say about it

Thankyou. You seem to be the only person who understood my point. It's a personal choice and circumstance Desciscion- what's bad for some isn't bad for others. It's a combo of what you want, what you willing to pay, and what you willing to compromise on. Everyone is different. There is no right or wrong, just individuality.

Don't agree on a lot of the posts here, but can't be bothered on a sat morning. Might go for a drive out to truganina:)

That's absurd. I am a Builder and can 100% assure you that this is simply not true. Sorry but stay factual please for everyone's sake!

Laser, which bit is untrue? The bit about mark ups? I'm not saying that all builders would do this but I'm sure there are some that would, just like in any profession / industry. The larger the amount of work you ask someone to do for you the more complex it becomes to keep track of what your paying for and the more scope for the provider to charge more.

Do builders ever sub contract parts of the process and add their own cut on top? Do they ever put a mark up on materials purchased? I think so but I'm happy to be corrected by someone with more experience in the area.

Cheers

Hi,

I agree it comes down to personal choice. My take on the area is: lots of new houses being built atm and there is no scarcity of land in that area.

Infrastructure is not rolled out as rapidly as you would want. Lately some new schools have come up there and new shopping centres have started popping out.

Tarneit rail station would be built by approx 2015, till then there is dependence on cars and buses.

Lot of young families have bought there and are happy with the affordability and the place overall. On the other hand have compromised with lack of infrastructure.

Long term should be a good bet with decent depreciation benefits

Regards,
TV

Thankyou. You seem to be the only person who understood my point. It's a personal choice and circumstance Desciscion- what's bad for some isn't bad for others. It's a combo of what you want, what you willing to pay, and what you willing to compromise on. Everyone is different. There is no right or wrong, just individuality.

Don't agree on a lot of the posts here, but can't be bothered on a sat morning. Might go for a drive out to truganina:)

Avoid new estates at all costs. I always ask people to go for the inner suburb new townhouses if they want to get the first home bonus. Inner city townhouses are much much much better in terms of long term capital growth, and rental yield as well.

One of my colleagues in the west had some money and wanted to buy a place to live. His budget was around 350k. He was looking in Wyndham Vale. I told him to get a townhouse in Altona Meadows (don't think you can get townhouse for that price in this suburb any more). He wouldn't listen. He went ahead and bought a block of land, signed a building contract, and the valuation came back 21k lower than what he had signed. So there went his 20k bonus - covering up the gap in the valuation

Avoid new estates at all costs. I always ask people to go for the inner suburb new townhouses if they want to get the first home bonus. Inner city townhouses are much much much better in terms of long term capital growth, and rental yield as well.

One of my colleagues in the west had some money and wanted to buy a place to live. His budget was around 350k. He was looking in Wyndham Vale. I told him to get a townhouse in Altona Meadows (don't think you can get townhouse for that price in this suburb any more). He wouldn't listen. He went ahead and bought a block of land, signed a building contract, and the valuation came back 21k lower than what he had signed. So there went his 20k bonus - covering up the gap in the valuation

What a generalisation! And how on earth can you classify Altona Meadows as an inner suburb? Plus I don't think that buying new townhouses is the best advice that I have heard - these are often overpriced as well and thus can also be valued lower at settlement. And quite possibly the owner simply wanted some land and a house, rather than a unit?

We purchased an IP (house) in Tarneit (almost new display home) which was valued at the purchase price, and we are also building in a new estate in the SE suburbs of Melbourne, which has been valued at $20k more than the cost to build. So your comments based on a single example are flawed, and it is simply a matter of doing your due diligence first.

And if it is a PPOR that he has buiilt most likely he has overspecced it to suit what he wants. I don't see that as being an issue for $20k if he is staying there long term!

Hi,

Do you know for sure that train station wont be built. Kindly do your DD and find out.

I have been getting regular email alerts about the progress of the Regional Rail Link project and I am talking based on the facts I have.

Things do change from time to time (due to different governments, change in policies, etc), but blindly saying dont believe such claims without any evidence dosen't make sense.

I can't believe that people actually believe these kinds of claims in the current economic climate

I'm not saying it will or won't be built but you should never buy property on the premise that infrastructure like public transport may be built there some time in the future.

Anything can happen in the meantime. A change in government could mean that it no longer goes ahead. Or the current government may not be able to complete it for whatever reason. Caroline Springs was promised a train station and work started on it before it was scrapped. You never know with these things and I certaintly wouldn't be one to take the risk in the current economy.

Back