Stories of "down-shifting"

Here why you down shift: L.T.D. = living the dream!

Image 4.jpg

Hanging Rock Picnic Races. Entry $20 adults, bring your picnic or buy from gourmet stalls, 10 minutes drive to heaps of parking, kids enter free with free kids entertainment as so

Image.jpg

Learning to ride on her new Pony. Teaching her responsibility for her decisions.

Image 3.jpg

Doing chores, teaching efforts gets results, by helping get wood at Friends farm.

This is sample of why we moved. I know they are Child focussed but I can only upload 3. If you like to see more please post to ask or kudo me.

Peter 14.7

I'm in the middle of a downshift at the moment. Just gave up the six figure legal role to find a balance in life. Now I just have to find that balance. I've applied for a paralegal role in the same industry that is still in the city but pays less, so less responsibility and is part time. We live in an average house in the burbs and I'm quite liking the area now. Since moving away from the beach I've been hanging out to get back there. But to do so would mean both of us continuing in our high pressure roles and being a long way from the grandparents.

I think the next six months will give us some clarity on what we do next. Do we sell a property or two (or more) to pay down some non-deductible debt, do I stop looking for work and just enjoy the kids, or will I be hanging out to work after a few months at home? I'd always thought that I'd work hard til 40 and then scale back life, but 3 years from this point I'd rather be enjoying the kids now. Sure, it will significantly reduce the size of our investments going forward, but if we have a better quality of life then it more than compensates.

@ Kathryn - did I recall that you spend part of your time in Oz and part of it in Canadia?

For the past 2 years we spent 8 months in Oz and 4 months in Canada.
This year it will be 7 months in Oz and 5 months in Canada.

Most wouldn't want to live as fruagally (aka cheap) as we do, but we don't deny ourselves anything we actually want.

We did it in 2006 from very Inner city Sydney to Regional Victoria. We love it!

We did not see it as giving some thing up but a time for change, the next phase in our life. I write this as many comments here seem to be: all or nothing and it is not like that in our experience. You can have the best of both worlds.

We did it at 40 for number of reasons. Stress and Health, I wanted to see 50! Personal Relationship we wanted to love each other not just live with each other. We had a child and wanted her to know her Grandparents in VIC before they died and not be raised as a pretentious inner city private school kid. And because, financially we had made it and "enough was enough." Had we been 30 it would have been too soon. 40 was perfect.

Our story:

Income has improved but we have a business based in Sydney worked from our Town and no, it is not internet. Business is smarter now I don't do it all and have staff who do. If I had not moved I would still be working long days as the workaholic who thought only he can do it right. Now I have to rely on staff because I am 1000km away. Lucky as had I got a job locally my income would have halved but:

Lifestyle: every day is like a weekend away to a BnB. Especially as I stay in Sydney 2 to 3 days each week. It never gets boring. BTW we still have sydney bolt hole apartment in the inner city.

TV? What TV, We don't even have it hooked up. We are busy living life than watching it. Serious, no pretentiousness intended. We never were big watchers but when read more, you will see we don't have the time.

UPSIDE

Friends: we have much much more friends (especially due to the kid link) but we also spend more time with them as it is easier to spend time with them and they have time to spend with us. We are all very like minded and live close by so it is easy to have a play date than runs to drinks at sunset that turns into "whip it up" pasta and pudding whilst the kids run around the hay bales in twilight. And when Country Folk party, we party hearty. In two weeks the local dress up ball is on and it is "go hard or go home". From men as 7ft fairies to wonder woman, to red indians, to yummy mummies as Britney Spears! This years theme is National Icon.

And there are some many festivals and events literally every weekend only say 30 minutes drive: like Budburst, Daffodil Festival, Winters Arts festivals with live Beethoven and Fireworks. Riding Clubs, Golf Clubs, Farmers markets, etc....

Community: we live in great, sharing, village community. No one cares what you earn, drive, do, etc.. they care about who you are as a person, how much you volunteer, how great a father or mother you are, who much value you bring to the community in your way.

Family: 1000% times closer.

You dont need a lot because:

In the city you spend a fortune to buy organic food in a boutique shops or pay $$$ in fine restaurants and even pay to park.

In the Country, parking is free, you either grow your own organic food or swap services (see jam below) with those who do grow it ( I cannot grow a thing). If you do buy the Food from the local butcher, baker, cheese maker it is much better quality for a much lower price than the city. i.e. Our meat comes from the abattoir 10km away and is 25% less than the city prices and much better quality.

My wife makes jam (a whole story in its self) and we swap that for local fruit and flowers at the fruit market, or freshly baked baguettes and imported cheeses at the french deli, or we take it the SWAP table at the local farmers market and get say, fresh herbs, rhubarb and pototoes for jar or 2 of jam. By the way we get the fruit for the jam free from locals who have trees overflowing but no skills or interest in making jam and happy to barter fruit for our jam.

Dining Out? Lots of Chefs doing the tree change open Cafe and Restaurants that are written up in Gourmet Traveller yet you dine for half the price of the city and the actual chef is doing the cooking not some trainee and you don't have to book weeks ahead.

It is colder here than Sydney. Much colder but to heat our home we dropped it $400 a quarter but using firewood. We get as much free firewoods as I can cut and put in my Ute from local farms. But again, you respect the community so if you cut three loads for yourself you deliver another load to the elderly farmer. You don't need gym fees when loading firewood I can tell ya! And my daughter helps and learns lesson you have to do chores to help the family if you then expect daddy to play barbie with you that evening.

Petrol does cost more because you travel more distances but rego is less, insurance much less (like half) and servicing again 50% under. And you don't need a flash new car. I have a Hilux Ute converted to LPG. Goes 400km on $25. Wife a Forester. We own our cars so no depreciation. NO ONE cares what you car is like as it is not statement on you anymore because they actually know you and YOU are a the statement on YOU. In the City we had amongst others, a Alfa Romeo and Mercedes benz sports coupes.

My daughter has the closest real friends and often has play date on farms. See pigs, cows, alpacas, etc. no petting zoo here. She values a birthday party that is mum making the cake and her friends making bead necklaces and wearing fairy wings. Not some yacht on the harbour or private disco. We don't miss out. Melbourne and the ballet is 1hr away. The library is 100m away from our house and many local authors do readings and put on plays for the kids. Free DVD hire, free books, talks, etc..

We have a GREAT public school equal to the best private school at no cost. The teachers want to teach, they want to be in the Country, they have the time to care and they do cuddle the kids when they fall over, know the parents and be the sports coach, singing coach, run the concerts etc. Parents are expected to be part of this and to help as readers, runs fetes, donate time (working bees) and goods ( see jam).

Horses. Always liked horses they cost a lot hey? well not yet. We have just been given our first pony for my Daughter "Pride" a pure white gelding. She is 7th girl to learn to ride on Pride and all we have to do is care for him. Medicine costs $10 a week and food another $10. Neighbours let us use their land and other neighbours share the care with their son and they are horse experts so they are teaching me. In Sydney we would be up for $10k for stable in centennial Park. $60 per hr for lessons. Vets $$$$ Food $$$. Riding even in town is safe and easy and many of her friends have ponys so it healthy outdoor play with lessons in responsibility and animal care.

DOWNSIDE: It is colder than Sydney. There are critters like possums that eat your fruit tree and poo on the cars and get in the roof. You lose the ability to parallel park. It is very wet. Gumboots are acceptable town wear. Kangaroos can hit cars. Black Ice on roads. And "people know your business". Not the place to have an affair as everyone knows everyone in some way or through someone.

I could go on but to those who say I need $500k for this and that I applaud your goal but suggest if you are looking at down sizing: ask yourself, is this figure based on costs re needs or just a guess. Start with the end in mind. You may find it is lot lower and you can do it lot earlier, if that is what you want. And you may find when you get the $500k you are too old to enjoy it.

As my motto says "It is not what you earn but what you keep"

Did I say, we love it?;)

Peter

Great post - thanks for sharing!

Great post - thanks for sharing!

Your welcome and thanks to the many others for the kudos.

I cannot resist here is three more reasons to consider it.

Beth Shan Woodend Circa 1860 renovated 2009.jpg

Our Home, built 1860 restored 2009. Check out the trees we have!

IMG00485-20100614-1534.jpg

Wife and daughter and I (pic taker) out for stroll up the Golf Course Hill, this is the view. Time to walk there and up hill, 10minutes.

Isabella with Chickens (Eliza and Grace).jpg

For those who like Chickens meet daughter with Eliza and Grace Chicken , yes she names each one. Sadly fox got these 2 but again, that real life lessons learnt. Animals die.

Regards Peter

Wow what an interesting thread. Particularly enjoyed your post Peter 14.7 Thought I'd share some of my experiences too. I made the move to Tasmania about 2 years ago, having lived here before when I was younger and loved the lifestyle. I moved from the Blue Mountains, (having retreated there from Sydney), but found the commute in western sydney for work and the city for uni pretty unappealing. Also the mountains is becoming more of an extension of western sydney with the new 4 lane highway. So I bought a cheap house on the outskirts of Hobart, loaded up the campervan and moved to a beachside suburb. Look, it's not perfect, (still finding my feet and settling in, in some ways) but I love the simplicity of a semi rural life, bumping into people I know on the beach, in the shops. Yes, it's cold at times, but no worse than the blue mtns. And in summer, probably for 5 months of the year, I drive the 5 minutes to the local school, pick up my son and 5 minutes later he's catching waves with his mates on his boogie board, building sand castles and running around on the sand dunes. I'm currently looking for work (30 minute commute to Hobart, driving through rural and waterfront land for most of it), for money, but also realising working from home is too isolating and I'm wanting more people contact in my life. Still trying to find the work / life balance. I do miss family and those old lifelong friends interstate. So, we fly to Sydney 4 times a year and if my income was better, would probably like to go up a few times inbetween for the odd weekend. Overall I love it here.

Hey Onthebus.

Great Story. We considered tassie but no family there.

Time to update the location!

You could fly in and out of Sydney for work like I do.

Peter

Reactions: Anh
I've lived in Sydney for almost all of my life. My partner and I are seriously considering moving up to Newcastle. He works in the coal/rail industry so job wont be a problem. I would like to work a little less and more time for us to do things we like. Currently, he gets stuck in traffic for an average of 3 hours per day. Reading your stories are very encouraging.

Hiya

Everything is relative isn't it? Hubby and i moved from Singapore to SYDNEY to "downshift":eek:

Lol Virgo.. I can understand that ........I love Singapore for the excitement ... But yeah ..living there I would imagine might get a bit hectic.

I'm doing this now, well sort of.
Downshifting (pun intended) my VE SS for a smaller 4 cylinder car, or even a hybrid.
Ive learnt a car is for point a to point b only.
Whilst the SS is fun, 95% of the time im in traffic so it defeats the purpose of having it.

Its is start.

Why not get a classic Brick Commodore for the weekend and drive a Prius.

Lots here do that. E types, Austin Healy Bugeyes, Ferraris, et all.... all hidden away and polished with care.

Peter

Personally I'd love to live in Singapore for a while. But the damn cost...

My living expenses will be net $50-60K more per annum thanks to kids education and tax.

Income tax is much lower in Singapore isn't it? Agree that education is very expensive there, along with accomodation, best way would be if your employer included these things in a package! Alcohol is the other killer expensive, haven't come across an employer who includes this in a package either. :p

Income tax is much lower in Singapore isn't it? Agree that education is very expensive there, along with accomodation, best way would be if your employer included these things in a package! Alcohol is the other killer expensive, haven't come across an employer who includes this in a package either. :p

Yes it is but I should qualify my statement - I don't pay Y tax thanks to my portfolio...pay land tax instead though :( Apples to apples, living in Singapore will only be a possibility if my employer trfers me....and pays for my accom :)

What a fabulous thread. Thanks very much for the wonderful post and photos Peter 14.7. I am a Victorian public servant doing a 75+ minute each way daily commute. The government is getting rid of 4200 jobs and I might be eligible for a a voluntary departure package. I've been thinking about trying to downshift my life by taking 12 months off to study and then getting a job that is close to home or part-time or less stressful (ie. much less pay). It is surprisingly hard to get past those ingrained beliefs about the importance of having a "good" job and earning a "good" wage.

Yes it is but I should qualify my statement - I don't pay Y tax thanks to my portfolio...pay land tax instead though :( Apples to apples, living in Singapore will only be a possibility if my employer trfers me....and pays for my accom :)

therer are many expats there who just find jobs online -singapore attracts a lot of talent.

i think you would like it in singapore but after a while you would be missing australia. working there has its pressures.

Go to Hong Kong. You won't miss much here. Low taxes, no cap gains tax, free and transparent market and no unions/elections of union-friendly governments. That's why we've made an offer for another building there over the weekend.

Back