Stories of "down-shifting"

What a fabulous thread. Thanks very much for the wonderful post and photos Peter 14.7. I am a Victorian public servant doing a 75+ minute each way daily commute. The government is getting rid of 4200 jobs and I might be eligible for a a voluntary departure package. I've been thinking about trying to downshift my life by taking 12 months off to study and then getting a job that is close to home or part-time or less stressful (ie. much less pay). It is surprisingly hard to get past those ingrained beliefs about the importance of having a "good" job and earning a "good" wage.

I suggest you consider worst cases scenario and then ask: is it that bad? Verses the gain.

What are you skills, experience. What will be the PPOR Mortgage is you sell out of Mel? Can you partner get part time work. Will kids costs go down.

Whilst I like assets for security you only live once that you can remember. We did it at 40. Great idea for us.

Peter

Go to Hong Kong. You won't miss much here. Low taxes, no cap gains tax, free and transparent market and no unions/elections of union-friendly governments. That's why we've made an offer for another building there over the weekend.

I'd imagine the cost of living in HK would be comparable to Singapore...again kids education and rent being the largest cntributor to incremental expenses (over Australia).

By the way DB you're referring to purchasing a building to develop there???

We down shifted 18months ago. Moved house and states, I resigned from public service (which everyone said I was crazy due to 6 figures and public service super). Hubby still works in same profession but we live in a much smaller community, 300m from the beach, better weather, lifestyle, TIME to spend with kids, friends and family. Family life has imporved 1000%, no stress, kids aren't in daycare (not that I minded them being in daycare but rush to get there, constant sick days and rush home when working was the problem) Thought I'd miss using my 'work' brain but hey put it to MUCH better use getting into property, research, investing etc...that's my JOB now and it's cool.

Reduced income has reduced the amount we can loan to invest but I reckon the knowledge I have gained is 100 times more important and will pay off in the long run. Has also helped make us more focused, have goals, budget...something with extra $ we just didn't do and wasted a lot on c.r.a.p

Would I recommend it....yep for sure, give it a go, doesn't take much to up-size again...if it's not for you!

I suggest you consider worst cases scenario and then ask: is it that bad? Verses the gain.

That is really good advice Peter, thank you. I also really liked Ninja Cat's point about being able to upsize again if it doesnt turn out to be right for me.

I put in my expression of interest for the package on Thursday, so now I have to wait and see whether I get offered one. Fingers crossed!

That is really good advice Peter, thank you. I also really liked Ninja Cat's point about being able to upsize again if it doesnt turn out to be right for me.

I put in my expression of interest for the package on Thursday, so now I have to wait and see whether I get offered one. Fingers crossed!

Good Stuff and just think, when you do visit the big smoke, you get the best of both worlds.

I am Up Shifting as I spend a week in Sydney for work. Presently feeling no pain in the Sydney Hilton Executive Lounge. I should hit the gym but... sadly, no chainsaws. Mrs 14.7 at home is more than a little jealous.

Yesterday was splitting wood, today sipping cocktails.

Regards Peter 14.7

Good Stuff and just think, when you do visit the big smoke, you get the best of both worlds.

I am Up Shifting as I spend a week in Sydney for work. Presently feeling no pain in the Sydney Hilton Executive Lounge. I should hit the gym but... sadly, no chainsaws. Mrs 14.7 at home is more than a little jealous.

Yesterday was splitting wood, today sipping cocktails.

Regards Peter 14.7

Sydney is a great place for family holidays!
Free accom with the fam - big family meals with extended sundry, kids get to play with their cousins toys, daily excursions to aquarium, zoo, big shopping centres etc. We all come home exhausted and glad for the peace and the space and our routine back. Whats not to like?

Just a quick update - I got the package and finish work in one week. Downshift lifestyle here I come!:D

Only downside is that I will have to put property investing on hold for a little while because the banks don't seem too keen to lend to unemployed poeple. Go figure.

Last edited:
Just a quick update - I got the package and finish work in one week. Downshift lifestyle here I come!:D

Only downside is that I will have to put property investing on hold for a little while because the banks don't seem too keen to lend to unemployed poeple. Go figure.

Get a LOC now on equity in your ppor. They dont care after it is set up.

Perer

Up to a certain age, we need to upshift. The E class merc, the house with jetty, the first class air ticket and Euro holidays. You need to feel that you have lived and achieved. After a while, this all becomes blase and you just need to relax in a small country cottage with your trusty German shepherd.

photo-1.jpg

Dear All

For those following this thread here us Downsizing and enjoying lifestyle at little cost.

My daughter and he Pony "pride" at her first local Agricultural Show in the Topsy Ring.

For those, who like me until recently, have no idea about horse showing, "topsy ring" is beginner and every child wins a ribbon regardless of place. i,e, First is Blue, Second Red, Third Green etc....They don't have to wear expensive riding gear except certified safety (note Daughter has helmut AND body armour thanks to nervous Mum) and they get judged on things like cleanest pony, longest tail, fattest pony, etc.. The intent is the judge gets to share around the placing etc.

My daughter got a 1st ribbon ( biggest eyes) and 4 x 4th out of a group of 7 except the last one which was a group of 4.

I can tell you Daddy was very nervous HE would stuff up as the horses get jumpy having so many persons around them. To whit, in a break she rode over to mum to hand in a ribbon and the kiddie ride on train went by and back fired.:eek:

"Pride" swivelled 180 degree and daughter had a "stepped off" fall. She ended on butt and tears came with hugs from mum. But to her credit and my immense pride she "sucked it up, dusted herself off" and got back on the horse.
After that was when she got the first and I think :cool: the Judge may have seen and acknowledging the fall and her response. I was especially excited to get fourth best rider out of .....4. She squealed "daddy I got 4th"

And that is the thing. In a country show it is all about fun, learning a skill and being part of the community. Not status, money or pretentiousness.

Daughter is learning to care for another being and not to give up and that it is not the place you get, but to participate that matters. The female judge (who was immaculately groomed in full red coat and top hat by the way) makes an effort to greet and shakes hands with every ribbon given and ties it personally on the horse. The kids feel very special lie meeting the Queen!

And to have three separate dads came up and say "I saw your daughter go down and she is one brave girl. Go on her!" was a nice bonus for me. Usually a fall is game over as the rider and horse gets spooked.

Again, it is all about being in the community and having fun. Prides cost us nothing he is a give away pony and he lives on neighbors vacant block next door. My friend has the float and knows about horses.

Lifestyle at little cost.

Regards Peter 14.7

It sounds like a lovely lifestyle Peter. Well done for getting your priorities right.

Thanks, sorry re picture!

It was always my strategy to down size after many years of long hours. I saw my dad work till 60 as a labourer in a factory from 3:30pm till midnight and then died 18 months later.

No thanks, Peter

Back