Strangest "doodads" story you have heared

We all have had our regrettable purchases and impulse buys that we come to regret.

1. A 5k treadmill that I have only used 3 times since I bought it two years ago. I thought this was going to turn me into a super fit marathon runner.

2. A 4k black leather sofa - looked very good in the showroom with the hot blond saleswoman

These are the most expensive items in my household. There is no tv, no sound system no air con, no jewellery, old clothes, single mattress on the floor. My ten year old toyota is worth about 3k.

But you posted a picture of your TV on the commute time thread, china.

You haven't been telling porkies, have you?

I don't understand people who have an iPad in every room. They're so light, they were designed for travelling, surely they can handle the two metre trip from the living room to the kitchen?

I don't know if it counts as strange, but it's definitely doodaddy.

I don't understand people who have an iPad in every room. They're so light, they were designed for travelling, surely they can handle the two metre trip from the living room to the kitchen?

I don't know if it counts as strange, but it's definitely doodaddy.

I think owning one at all is pointless.

Recently i lost a Longines watch at a restaurant night in Glebe, Sydney. Dancing with the belly dancer after a few wines.

I hope the dance was worth it!

I dropped my patek from a height, cracked the sapphire crystal, and had to send it to geneva for service. 14 week lead time and 1,800 euros. Good one. :(

In my suburb, that gets you one of the best houses....with air/con.

But then; I'm not into postcode suburbs.

Yup! Same! Nice ducted air-con. Warm in winter, cool in summer.

No traffic congestion. Lots of open space. Plenty of sporting activities.:D

Man,
I guess I'd better upgrade. My $200 netbook only has a 10 inch screen, a physical keyboard, usb ports, massive battery life, 2gb Ram, 200gb hard drive and uses other than internet browsing and angry birds.
I don't know how I've lived without a $900 internet browser all this time.

The elderly folk seem to get by just fine and dandy with none of this electronic HS.

I visited my great aunt the other day, and she has one of those old Bakerlite phones with the dial around circular number thingy on the seat and table little set in the hallway.

We were chatting in the kitchen and the phone rang. Instead of ignoring me and instantly rushing to answer it, she said "they'll call back if it's important, now what were you saying dear ?"

Love it.

Man,
I guess I'd better upgrade. My $200 netbook only has a 10 inch screen, a physical keyboard, usb ports, massive battery life, 2gb Ram, 200gb hard drive and uses other than internet browsing and angry birds.
I don't know how I've lived without a $900 internet browser all this time.

LOL! I've never used angry birds. What the heck is that?

I use mine just like a netbook when out. I can use the internet, but I also keep all kinds of skating information. I can download all the rule books, add photo's, update spreadsheets etc. I find it very useful.

It also comes in handy for reading the forum when waiting somewhere, or on a train, etc. Places you just wouldn't bother getting your laptop out for.

Press the button and it's instant access too. No waiting for it to load up like a laptop.

I visited my great aunt the other day, and she has one of those old Bakerlite phones with the dial around circular number thingy on the seat and table little set in the hallway.

My best mate who lives in Brisbane has an old phone. Not as old as your aunts - probably a 70s phone.

His street got hit by the floods last year and all the houses lost power.

His phone was the only one in the street that still worked because it doesn't need power - just a phone line.

My strangest purchase was a 1967 Ericofon rotary dial phone. I have it hooked up o VoIP and use it lots!
Edit: It cost me $175 fully refurbished. But they go for up to $350 in antique stores so hey! :)

Other than that there's my ipad, iPhone 5 and mac. They're my doodads. One of the stupidest things I did was got emotional about apple, bought some shares, watched them appreciate, bought more, watched them tank, sold them all out of fear (thinking they weren't at a trough yet), then watched them bounce back the day later +40. NOT happy.. So I'm down about $2500. This was all this year and the wounds are still raw, but really I don't care. I made a silly mistake (one of many with shares) and moving on.

I don't think I'll ever trade shares again tho. They're just not for me.

Last edited:
Probably my most wasteful purchase was a $2k Akrapovic exhaust kit for my Yamaha MT01. I would spend it again though.

I can't understand spending more than a couple of hundred on a watch, but I guess we all have our vices :D

Back